Knoxville Disc Golf ???

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Knoxville Disc Golf ???

Postby Dale H » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 am

Any recommendations on courses in or near Knoxville, TN. I will in Maryville, just South of Knoxville, quite a bit in the upcoming months. The PDGA direcotory list Admiral Farragut (9 holes), Morningside, and Victor Ashe as being nearby courses. Will likely play them all but would like some feedback from anyone who has played in the area before. Thanks.

Dale
Dale H
DX Plastic

Re: Knoxville Disc Golf ???

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:37 am

From the last time I played K-town (2yrs ago)
Farragut had two tees per hole the longer were valid not so the shorts. 2.5 out of 5
Morningside is in the hood but I never had any problems Lots of elevation changes and the Tenn. river was possible OB. Had only 12 baskets, rest poles.3.5
Never played Victor Ashe. There was an active local scene (2yrs ago) and a store in the nightlife area (think L5P more than Buckhead) that sold discs.
"Fearlessly the Idiot faced the crowd, Smiling"
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby Vern » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:44 am

I played a tourney at Victor Ashe and really liked the course. It is a mix of holes and I think one was like 1000ft or so. I haven't played the other courses. You could hit the Sinks in Chattanooga on your way home as some side action if you have the time.

Knoxville Disc Golf http://www.knoxvillediscgolf.org/

Pluto (something or other) is the store and you can get some info from the Knoxville website.

Bring us all back a disc. We are all expecting one now. 8)
The Hula Hoop became so ubiquitous that the former Soviet Union banned the toy as a symbol of the "emptiness of American culture."
Vern
Champion Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Sharp springs park skeet heater august 23(round) not from from knoxvillie pretty course from the online videos.
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby maximus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:35 pm

TokioJason wrote:Sharp springs park skeet heater august 23(round) not from from knoxvillie pretty course from the online videos.

Yes this park is a nice course, has a few signature holes, and the pics don't do hole 9 justice. Unfortunately it is about 20 mins south of NASHVILLE, not KNOXVILLE, but if you are driving through Nashville on the way to BG or just going that way, make it a point to stop there. Seven Oaks is nice too and not far off of I-24 pretty close to Nashville.
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby Dale H » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks for the feedback on Knoxville courses. I'll give a trip report once I have played them all. I will have to see if I can dig up a disc for Vern while there....likely a Wham-O 90g with sparkles....
Dale H
DX Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:47 am

likely a Wham-O 90g with sparkles....

Pink...Please 8)

Have Fun :!:
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:56 pm

Whoopise but yes chris i don't know what i was thinking thank you for correcting that
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby cmcolomb » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:39 am

Lived in Ktown for 4 years. Don't waste your time or gas going to Farragut to play 9 easy holes at Admiral.. Venture to Victor Ashe (one of the best parks I have ever played, and lots of room for expansion). You must also visit Morningside for a great hilly and technical challenge; aside from being in what some would term as "not the greatest area" it is an amazing park that is decently maintained.. If you have time to head further east, you should check out Kiwanis in Morristown and try to stop at Carson Newman College for a 9-hole course that winds you thru the actual campus, it is quite fun to throw thru buildings while the locals look at you funny (they have actual baskets but by the looks of the people - and the looks they give you - no one that goes there actually plays)

And I think everyone knows that North Carolina disc golf is..... the bees knees.

Good luck!
deeg til i die
cmcolomb
Barney

Postby Dale H » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:51 am

I really appreciate the local knowledge, thanks!
Dale H
DX Plastic

Postby volsfandl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Lived in Knoxville for years and go back frequently.

Morningside is a great old school course. It is in the ghetto, but nobody will bother you.

Victor Ashe is a long championship style course. Somewhat open with some water and and elevation changes.

Also check out Grove Park in Oak Ridge. It's on an old ball golf course. It's a little new, but it's challenging and very scenic.

The other courses in the area are 9 holes and are very short.
volsfandl
DX Plastic

Return to Q & A