Possible new DG course @ Harbin Community Park

Moderators: Vicki, ADGO BOD

Possible new DG course @ Harbin Community Park

Postby Steve Adams » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:53 am

I wanted to make DGers aware of a possible new DG course at Harbin Community Park. There will be a public input meeting Thursday night Oct 23 from 7PM-8:30PM at the Grayson HS Theatre. My understanding is, the meeting is pretty informal. You can drop by for 10-15 minutes and just indicate you would be interested in having a DG course included in the plans.
The address is:
50 Hope Hollow Road
Loganville, GA
Additional info can be obtained from the Gwinnett County Parks & Rec 770-882-8840
PDGA# 34138
ADGO# 134
Steve Adams
Pro Plastic

Re: Possible new DG course @ Harbin Community Park

Postby Vicki » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:14 pm

We hope to have a huge turnout of disc golfers at this meeting! There are 600 acres available for planning, and activities being considered are: soccer, baseball/softball, football, skate park, sand volleyball, basketball, multi-purpose trails, picnic and playground amenities. The disc golf course would go in a mainly wooded section, with young pines, hardwoods, scrub, and exposed granite. When you come in ask to see Rex Schuder, the Principal Community Planner for Gwinnett County Parks & Rec or his boss Grant Guess, and as Steve stated spend a few minutes telling them that you'd really like to see a disc golf course go in at Harbins. Rex is a proponent of disc golf and told us that three things are imperative to get this course installed:

1. Have disc golf supporters there in mass at the public meeting on October 23.2. Get someone from our discing community on the Master Plan Committee. This person would preferably live in the Harbins/Alcovy area or close by (Eastern
Gwinnett County).
3. Vote YES for SPLOST funds on the November ballot.

Who would like to be our Master Plan representative? You would be instrumental in county meetings, and be given the honorary status of "Gwinnett Disc Golf God" on opening day of the park. :lol:

This is our only chance to ride the Harbins wave, please stop by Grayson High School on the 23rd from 7 - 8:30 pm and show your support!

Thanks, Vicki
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby Vicki » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:17 am

Here's a friendly reminder of the meeting tomorrow night. We really need everyone who is interested to drop in.

To paraphrase Arlo Guthrie: (cue the guitar)

Just walk in say "I'd really like to see a disc golf course installed at Harbins". And walk out. You know, if
one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and
they won't listen to him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony,
they may think they're both crazy and won't listen to them either.
And if three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in
saying "I'd really like to see a disc golf course installed at Harbins" and walking out. They may think it's an
organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people that day, I said
fifty people that day walking in saying "I'd really like to see a disc golf course installed at Harbins" and
walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

And that's what it is, the Harbins Disc Golf Course Movement, and
all you got to do to join is be at the meeting tomorrow night at Grayson High School.
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby bwaller5 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:32 pm

I couldn't make the meeting, but i was wondering if there were people that went and supported it.
bwaller5
Barney

Postby Carl Wms » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:24 pm

At least five made it there
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby Vicki » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:49 am

We had 10 disc golf enthusiast there to represent our sport, and three of those volunteered to be on the steering committee.

I think we have a very good chance of having a disc golf course at Harbins!
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby Al 7.0 Olds » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:32 am

I am new to this site.Would have been there if I knew.Let me know if there is anything I can do for help. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Al 7.0 Olds on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Hause 39407
Al 7.0 Olds
DX Plastic

Postby Vicki » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:05 am

I'm happy to report that three GDGO Board Members have been selected to be on the Master Plan Steering Committee for Harbins Park, giving us a very good chance of installing the 4th disc golf course in Gwinnett County! Congratulations to Ed Jacob, Chris Albers, and Steve Adams!
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby Buzzed » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:06 am

Anything new on the possibilty of this course going in?
John Calcaterra TEAM GREENHILL WOODS
PDGA# 36861

"I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6"
Buzzed
Barney

Postby Vicki » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:19 am

It's gonna be awhile before they get to that point. Gwinnett County has a certain procedure for doing things, and Steering Committees meet for many months at various locations before anything is voted on.

We'll post here updates here as they happen.
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby Vicki » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:50 am

Due to massive budget cuts in Gwinnett County, the Harbins Park Master Plan Steering Committee was informed last night that NO new parks will even be considered until 2014. Thank goodness Alexander was installed before this took effect! Much thanks to Ed Jacob, Steve Adams, and Christopher Albers for representing Disc Golf on the committee; hopefully in 5 years we can take up where we left off!
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Not surprising...though it seems new parks would = jobs but what the heck do I know??
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Laserman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Sounds like a crock to me. New parks are funded via SPLOST which we passed again this past November. These damn politicians are cutting off their nose to spite their face and diverting funds elsewhere.

CONTINUE PAYING SPLOST SALES TAX + NO NEW PARKS = SPLOST NOT PASSING IN TWO YEARS

We'd be fools top vote for it AGAIN if it is just going to be diverted by politicians!
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IS NO MATCH FOR NATURAL STUPIDITY
Laserman
Champion Plastic

Postby maximus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:10 pm

Laserman wrote:We'd be fools to vote for it AGAIN if it is just going to be diverted by politicians!

Ah the beauty of the american public, when it is voting time and the ignorance sets in. In two years, people will look at that ballot and think.... "SPLOST? Hhhmmmm... sounds like a good idea, we need more parks.... YES" and they will feel good about it.
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby Laserman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:07 pm

Not two years Chris - 4 years. We just voted yes for 2009 - 2012. Projected revenue is $850,000,000 of which $194,000,000 has been allocated to RECREATION. So what exactly is the plan for this money???

We are already coming out of the recession. It would take 2 to 3 years to develop Harbin's park anyway. Building the park would provide jobs and YES - STIMULATE the economy. And just how large does the staff need to be for a park anyway?
Laserman
Champion Plastic

Postby Big Red » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Laserman wrote:Not two years Chris - 4 years. We just voted yes for 2009 - 2012. Projected revenue is $850,000,000 of which $194,000,000 has been allocated to RECREATION. So what exactly is the plan for this money???

We are already coming out of the recession. It would take 2 to 3 years to develop Harbin's park anyway. Building the park would provide jobs and YES - STIMULATE the economy. And just how large does the staff need to be for a park anyway?

I hate to inform you but despite what pravda might tell you we aren't even beginning to come out of the the depression.
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Laserman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:47 pm

You may be right Red - yea, that's what's important here - whether we are coming out of the recession. Focus Red focus! Aren't you even curious what they will do with almost 200 million dollars (we are paying with every $ we spend in Gwinnett County) that is earmarked for recreation?

There isn't much we can do about the recession but perhaps we can have some influence on our county government.
Laserman
Champion Plastic

Postby Big Red » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:51 pm

Of course I am curious about it as well as the trillions the feds are wasting for nothing. Are there any county meetings that perhaps the disc golf community could attend soon?
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Laserman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:30 am

I guess i'm a little late answering but one started about 20 minutes ago at 10:00 AM this morning. It looks like the commissioners have regular monthly meetings. You can check the Gwinnett county website if you are interested in getting involved.

http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/cgi-bin/g ... do?tabId=0

They are voting on the latest proposed budget cuts (Closing libraries on Sundays and Mondays, cutting the police force by 53 people, etc) during todays meeting and accepting public input after the end of their meeting - seems a little bass acwards to me but that kind of thing doesn't surprise me. You can also contact the county commissioner for your area - i think there are 5 total, but that info is also on the county website.

Don't even get me started on the trillions being wasted by Obama and his gang,
Laserman
Champion Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:27 pm

So has anyone heard a recent update for consideration of a course at Harbins? It makes me wonder if they decided that Little Mulberry was a better option for GwCo's next course. Vicki, Ed, Steve- do you have any thoughts on this?

Looking at the map, Little Mulberry is much more accessible from I-85 compared to Harbins. Maybe a move to draw in more out of towners? It also seems to be a little further away from Alexander, which would help serve northern Gw Countians a little more.

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Return to Gwinnett Disc Golf Organization (GDGO)