Sun Shelters for JPM

Henry County - Stockbridge, Ga

Moderators: dandaman, ADGO BOD

Sun Shelters for JPM

Postby djester » Tue May 26, 2009 9:50 am

I have been thinking of ways to raise funds for the sun shelters throughout the course.
Locations:
Hole No. 12's bench
Hole No. 8's bench
and maybe Hole No. 2's bench (thoughts are welcome)
I had thought about putting one at Hole No. 17's bench, but it is already pretty shaded in that area.... maybe a later date for that one. Another placement could be at Hole No. 10's bench area.
That makes for 5 sun shelters for the course, but only 2-3 with priorities (No. 12, 8 & 2, with No. 2 being the last in construction)

Idea:
I am thinking about making the $2 CTP's into $1 payouts and putting the other $1 into the "Course Fund Bag" and when enough money is gathered up, we can go forth and install the much needed Sun shelters before it gets really hot.

The ideal situation would be to get this done before Chris & Dan's Hotlanta tourney.

If Dan needs some tree's removed, we can use those as the "posts" for the sun shelter. That would leave us with only the framing and concrete to pay for. I have aquired the roofing materials at a very good price so that is taken care of.

If anyone can get some lumber materials IE: 2x4's , bags of concrete at a good price, that would be very sweet!

One thing I haven't decided on yet is the size, I'll need to discuss this with Dan......
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Re: Sun Shelters for JPM

Postby djester » Wed May 27, 2009 10:05 am

ok... not looking for help, just comments and ideas :lol:
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby jonp » Wed May 27, 2009 12:04 pm

djester wrote:ok... not looking for help, just comments and ideas :lol:

Hur man än vänder sig är alltid ändan bak
jonp
Site Admin

Postby djester » Wed May 27, 2009 12:24 pm

Plotky comes through with a great idea for the Hotlanta players pack!!!! 8)

Good job!
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby mr.disc » Wed May 27, 2009 1:07 pm

you are missing one important thing ...... Sun!
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Thu May 28, 2009 11:44 am

djester wrote:I have been thinking of ways to raise funds for the sun shelters throughout the course.
Locations:
Hole No. 12's bench
Hole No. 8's bench
and maybe Hole No. 2's bench (thoughts are welcome)
I had thought about putting one at Hole No. 17's bench, but it is already pretty shaded in that area.... maybe a later date for that one. Another placement could be at Hole No. 10's bench area.
That makes for 5 sun shelters for the course, but only 2-3 with priorities (No. 12, 8 & 2, with No. 2 being the last in construction)

Idea:
I am thinking about making the $2 CTP's into $1 payouts and putting the other $1 into the "Course Fund Bag" and when enough money is gathered up, we can go forth and install the much needed Sun shelters before it gets really hot.

The ideal situation would be to get this done before Chris & Dan's Hotlanta tourney.

If Dan needs some tree's removed, we can use those as the "posts" for the sun shelter. That would leave us with only the framing and concrete to pay for. I have aquired the roofing materials at a very good price so that is taken care of.

If anyone can get some lumber materials IE: 2x4's , bags of concrete at a good price, that would be very sweet!

One thing I haven't decided on yet is the size, I'll need to discuss this with Dan......

I am going to approach our local Home Depots and Lowes in the next couple of weeks to see if they would be willing to donate the supplies that we need...(it worked for Chuck Smith)

In the mean time...Donnie you work closely with a lot of the people in Parks, it's time to use you relationship to secure building supplies...(I also want some railroad ties to help prevent erosion)
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Thu May 28, 2009 11:45 am

Josh-

remember the shelters out at The Ant Farm? Those would be the ideal size.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby Bornabuckeye » Thu May 28, 2009 12:22 pm

Im on it, ill put a call to kenny this week to check on some things.

Give me a wish list and ill ask, cant promise anything but effort though.

donniekreece@yahoo.com
PDGA Member # 36856
donniekreece@gmail.com
(678) 632-2397
Bornabuckeye
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Thu May 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Bornabuckeyefan wrote:Im on it, ill put a call to kenny this week to check on some things.

Give me a wish list and ill ask, cant promise anything but effort though.

donniekreece@yahoo.com

Josh what do you think? 6"X6"X12Ft (maybe 14 ft considering they will be set in the ground)--4 for each shelter (total of 12 with concrete to boot)? That would get the posts. What else do we need?

Donnie my wish list is for some railroad ties that I can use to combat erosion (not Island green) I could use many in many spots, I would also need rebar spikes to secure them into the ground.

While we are at it, ask them if they have access to a nursery that we can secure some trees for planting...we would like to plant them on holes 1,18, 9,10-13. Alll those ornamental ones up front had to come from somewhere.

Tell them that we could use community service workers as well that are capable of weedeating clearing brush, painting, etc...

And while we are at it 9 more baskets :lol:
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby Bornabuckeye » Thu May 28, 2009 1:31 pm

Wow... impressive list LoL..

How about shooting for something reasonable...

any materials that could help with the shelters
railroad ties for erosion
PDGA Member # 36856
donniekreece@gmail.com
(678) 632-2397
Bornabuckeye
Champion Plastic

Postby djester » Thu May 28, 2009 3:01 pm

6x6's would be too big.... I was thinking 4x4's or some tree's that we remove from future hole expansions or in the woods. that would take care of that part. As far as how long they should be, well we could get by with 10ft long as they only need to go 2ft deep. I have dug enough out there for the basket locations and that dirt is very hard!! The concrete should be enough to hold them in place, but I was thinking of maybe using a base that would raise the posts off the ground just a bit so the water wouldn't settle and cause rot. We could also just build the concrete up a bit for this (and save more money).

I'd like to use tree's as the posts, that way is more cost effective and looks a bit more natural than wooden cut posts. But.... it is your course and you say what goes, I am just giving ways to cut cost and save energy (for playing a round after we are done!)

Waht size would the sheltor need to be? I think that hole 12's should be able to have enough room for 10-12 people to get under since it is located way in the back. That way, if it starts to rain (during a tournament/action), holes 11, 12, & 13 could take sheltor underneath. :?:
The rest could be big enough so that people sitting on the bench wouldn't get wet.
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby TomahawkChopper » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Using trees for post is a great Idea but only last maybe a year.Like the rock wall(which still stands after 8 yrs)we built a trellace from trees that were cut down,we even went as far as to tar the main posts to seal them in a sense from moisture and bugs.It looked awesome but didnt last very long :( .As long as we keep plants and such from growing on it you might get a lil longer.We got some scrap wood I need to bring up there,I havent been playing alot lately been real busy working and tournament and Braves games past 2 weekends now hotlanta this weekend ill be working another long week.I can help anytime after work hit me up Josh seriously. :twisted:

Dan,anybody willing to do some work hit me up some of you got my #.Im normally home from work no later than 3:30.
Pm me if you dont have my number and I know you and still feel comfortable giving you my number :lol: Ill give it to you.
The artist formerly Known As MiLeNkO.........
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby djester » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:48 am

I don't think the snu sheltor is going anywhere, anytime soon. That thing is stout. We are almost complete, just a few more braces and then it's done. Then we'll see how long it lasts
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby TomahawkChopper » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:12 pm

I wasnt saying anything negative hope you didnt take it that way Josh.I was just speaking from my own personal experience,its more astetic with real trees and such than cut up wood I like your moxy.I personally hope it last longer myself since yous guys put your time into it and our course can use some shelters maybe even a Pavillion between 10 and 13 somewheres out there would be nice.That would have to be something the couty did of course. :twisted:
The artist formerly Known As MiLeNkO.........
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby djester » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:50 am

Thanks to who ever decided to take a pocket knife and cut out the stickers from under the clear spar varnish that I spent two afternoons working on. :evil:
You couldn't do anything with the stickers after you cut them out, so you just wadded them up and threw. them in the trash can..... thanks a lot!

I have more to lay down 8) , so keep that knife handy as you'll need it pretty often (I have about 10 replacements of each so if you want a new one, just let me know and I'll give you one)
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby mr.disc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:33 am

Fn chiggers.... hate em . :shock:
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:38 am

The sun shelter also works great for rain too! I spent about thirty minutes staying dry under late last night!

Josh thank you so much for this grand addition to the golf course. My only hope that the ones the county installs holds 1/10 the coolness that this one does.

Friggin barnies...schule!
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 pm

Too bad the sheltors aren't installed on the back nine where I spent 30 minutes getting soaked yesterday when the rain hit. I tried to hide in the "Sherwood Forrest" on hole 13, but the rain was so hard that even that thicket just let water pour in. I thought that the rain would pass but I was very wrong.
Micheal Burton was using the rain sheltor as we were leaving! I'm glad that it works very well, so good that a downpour won't get you wet! :P

Any word when the others will be completed? :?: :? :?:
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby dandaman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:38 am

As soon as we clear out behind holes 12 teepad I will notify the county. One major limb needs to come down with some mnor shule clearage. I want to do it soon but the next time I will be able to work on the park is two weeks from now (and even that day might be pushed back). Responsibilities keep getting in the way... :wink:
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:44 pm

Two weeks sounds good to me & if you can't get out to help, maybe you could get out to "ok" what we need to do and I can take it from there. I'm sure we could get a few folks to help.
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby djester » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:16 pm

dandaman wrote:As soon as we clear out behind holes 12 teepad I will notify the county. One major limb needs to come down with some minor shule clearage. I want to do it soon but the next time I will be able to work on the park is two weeks from now (and even that day might be pushed back). Responsibilities keep getting in the way... :wink:

I thinhk we have forgotten about this....so here's a reminder!!!

Work day planned for this Saturday (12th) & next Saturday (19th) as well..... Dan, can you make either??

Anyone who would like to help, feel free to show up. I will have a few tools to do the work and plenty of water.
Work will also include cutting of the tree on hole 1 & hopefully moving the pieces to the side and out of the way. I would like to do something with the large rocks all piled up, but I have no access to a front end loader.
I would like to remove/thin a few tree's from 15 & 16's fairways if time allows. A good scouting of the (future) woods holes would be nice too!!
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby djester » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:17 pm

We now have Hole 12's bench area all cleared out.... now it is up to the county to do the rest...will update as soon as we hear anything new. Thanks Dan & Wade for helping as always! See you guys next week!
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby dandaman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:03 am

I notified Kenny with the Parks Dept. today. He is aware that the areas for the other shelters are now able to support thier construction and instaslllation. I also asked that if it was possible that they move the bench from hole 13 to hole 14.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Return to J.P. Moseley Park