Thoughts and idea's about the park

Paulding County - Dallas, GA

Moderators: Mike D, ADGO BOD

Thoughts and idea's about the park

Postby djester » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:54 pm

If you have any thoughts, or ideas about improvements or just comments then post here....

I love the layout... movement/ leveling of a few tee pads would be nice... all else was great!
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Re: Thoughts and idea's about the park

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:21 pm

Escalators would be really nice too
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby RAM » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:57 pm

It was agreed upon in the group I played with Sunday that the lake could come into play more. It is pretty central to the beauty of the park and seems a shame that only #17 really uses it.
RAM
Barney

Postby grease » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:09 pm

As the pond is used for fishing, 17 as well as 16 are really pushing it as far as the course interfering with
the fishers is concerned. We considered a tee from the island that is just to the right of 15, but it did'nt
flow very well. Basically, we can't cross over the pond continuously due to the amount of people who use it
to fish .
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Mike D » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:54 pm

Those of you guys that played this past weekend, imagine this scenerio....

Final 9 layout - Pros...

#1 - Hole 1 in the evil tucked position.

#2 - Hole 2 tee to hole 3 basket.

#3 - Hole 4 in short position near top of hill.

#4 - Normal hole 6

#5 - Hole 7 tee to hole 8 basket.

#6 - Normal hole 9

#7 - Hole 12 tee to hole 13 basket

#8 - Hole 14 tee to hole 16 basket.

#9 - Hole 17 tee to hole 18 basket.

Yeah!! White Oak Rocks!!
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:34 pm

It was great to see 20 or so people out at the park today with temp baskets
playing the layout. Thanks to everyone who brought a basket! I can't wait to
get the permanent ones in. Looks like we need two more baskets sponsored
and it's done. Anyone?
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby JPZ » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:46 pm

Are there any lengths recorded yet?
Also, could anyone tell me the pars??? all par 3's any 4's???

Thanks JPZ
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby Mike D » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:24 am

I should have all the distances by next week.

I measured hole # 1 today...

The (A) position is 325'

The (B) position will be 355' (This is the "evil" tucked position.)

Watch for a new map with all 18 holes and distances to be available soon.

We play them all as par 3, but when we put hole #2's middle and long position in I think we will have a legit par 4 when it is in the long.
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Mike D » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:27 pm

Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby coreyml » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:17 am

SEVENTEEN B!!!
could you post a larger distance chart please or just post it on here, thx.

are there going to be extra baskets and we choose what to play to or are you going to move baskets around?
thanks mike
coreyml
DX Plastic

Postby Mike D » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 am

coreyml wrote:SEVENTEEN B!!!
could you post a larger distance chart please or just post it on here, thx.

are there going to be extra baskets and we choose what to play to or are you going to move baskets around?
thanks mike

Corey,

Should be a full page version link posted shortly under the map/directions at the top of White Oak page.

No extra baskets, but we will be moving baskets around once we get the other collars set for the alternate positions.
This should keep the course different so you do not get bored playing the same layout over & over again (think O.P.)

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:13 pm

I just loved this review on http://www.dgreview.com from Redneck Machismo:

"Many holes unfortunately are poorly thought out. Almost every shot is blind which really gets kind of silly. Hole 11 is an especially bad design being almost entirely luck; I really don't think you can get it close without getting lucky? Overall I think the land could have been used better. Some holes seem kind of repetitive especially with the over usage of blind shots. In addition almost every basket is perched on a hillside lending to too many roll-aways and raising the luck factor too high."

All I have to say is that on the blind holes, once you get out of sight, it will be easier for you to change
your scorecard. All credit to DD.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby coreyml » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:49 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Blind shots are fine. Those occur in (ball) golf as well. Walk up a little ways and see the basket.
As far as putting baskets on steep hills, that is kinda crazy.
I know the park is very hilly and putting a basket on a hill is almost impossible not to do but 4 is ridiculous and 17 is too - too much luck.
Maybe if 4 was at the bottom of the hill - or at least closer to the bottom.

on the other hand...
I LOVE 6 - thanks to my new boss. I love the downhill pad to a slightly downhill basket 500' away.

I've played this course about a dozen times and I enjoy it until i get unlucky - not from trees or wind, but from my disc not landing perfectly flat on the ground with no scooting whatsoever... then rolls OB or 40' away down 4's hill. 1,3,8,12,13 and 18's steepnesses are fine
coreyml
DX Plastic

Postby grease » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:54 pm

The idea was to put in a course that is different from other local courses. Thus the sloping greens.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby atl scott » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:04 pm

I like the sloping greens. Forces you to learn not just to get the disc there but in control and with a flat landing.
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby bogeymaster » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Last edited by bogeymaster on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogeymaster
DX Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:26 pm

IF you dont like ... Stop cryin and go FFFFF yourself !!!!! just sayin. :D :shock:
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby chappy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:04 am

grease wrote:I just loved this review on http://www.dgreview.com from Redneck Machismo:

"Many holes unfortunately are poorly thought out. Almost every shot is blind which really gets kind of silly. Hole 11 is an especially bad design being almost entirely luck; I really don't think you can get it close without getting lucky? Overall I think the land could have been used better. Some holes seem kind of repetitive especially with the over usage of blind shots. In addition almost every basket is perched on a hillside lending to too many roll-aways and raising the luck factor too high."

All I have to say is that on the blind holes, once you get out of sight, it will be easier for you to change
your scorecard. All credit to DD.

That last bit about the scorecard......bravo!! I bet he wishes the people in his group were blind. :shock:
chappy
DX Plastic

Postby Mark D » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:14 am

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion (no matter how wrong they are) - so here is mine:
The blind shots are fun. Besides, after you play the hole once you know where it is.....
As for roll-aways - put it in the basket and it won't roll. Seriously though - I like the baskets on the slope, and it actually does take a little bit of skill to throw it correctly so it stays.
Don't even get me started on 17. Is that not just way too much fun to watch people go for it, knowing that they may never see that disc again? Being a short-distance thrower I don't have to worry about it (I lay up every time) - but I have a blast watching people try.
I think White Oak is a fun course, different from most in the state.
If you want a run-of-the-mill bland course go play somewhere else.
Mark D
Barney

Postby Redan Randy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:11 am

Sloping greens and rollaways suck! I guess that's why it took The Earlewood Classic hours to sell out? :roll:
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby bogeymaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Last edited by bogeymaster on Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogeymaster
DX Plastic

Postby kade.erp » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Pins on the slope are just fine, makes for REAL golf situations where playing/beating the course is important not just whos the best putter.

Now the corner 9, 10, 11?!? Nine Is ok its 10 and 11. Being a regular woods player these two holes are pretty lame. I add nine into the mix because I think reconfiguring 10 and 11 to make better holes would take out throwing down towards the water. The space between nines pad and tens basket is totally underused. It looks like a small drainage area b/c of the severe slope of that area. Lemme guess, that area is wet at times and too hard to traverse?!? AND the houses/ob line makes is hard to use the area other than previosly planned?!?! After 8 if you walk down the hill somewhat towards 18s tee, make a new nine tee and maybe shoot perpendicular to the already planned uphill/downcrap shots of 10/11.

Last note, I love the rest the course except I thought the trees on the top of the hill between 3s fairway and 6s pad were totally underused. Now that could have been a different shot/ hole with trees that no other hole really has.
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Wow!!!

Postby JPZ » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:18 pm

I finally got over to White Oak this weekend (sat.) and got two rounds in...
...Wow!!!!

Thats the best way to describe it. I enjoyed pretty much everything about this course.
The hills were great, the baskets awesome had incredible placements, and the water shots very very playable.

I only had a handfull of birdies though. My most memorable vas 17, obviously.
Straight at the basket-with a 8 ft putt. :D

Great job. Great course.
Only thing I would change is the location...I live over an hour away.

Edit<<<< I would do 1 thing alter the teeing area on hole 9 ? i think it was.
It's the 1 that your run -up is down hill to a short uphill basket. it really strains the back running down to throw it up.
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Re: Wow!!!

Postby Funky Bobby J » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:23 am

JPZ wrote:I finally got over to White Oak this weekend (sat.) and got two rounds in...
...Wow!!!!

it really strains the back running down to throw it up.

Sooooooooo many possibilites with this one
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby JPZ » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:53 pm

I made a mistake, not the back thing :shock: , just the hole number. It is hole 5 I am referring to. Ouch!
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby Mike D » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Hole #5 is the next tee pad we will work on once we have finished #18.

Plans are for tee pad work on #18, #5, #4 and then move on from there. Hopefully once we get the concrete tee pads in we will not have these types of problems.

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby millayday » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:35 am

I dont wannna say that all the people bitchin about sloping greens and blind tee shots are closetized manhole lovers, but they definitely are, and they're definitely on bottom, and they do it for free. As someone else mentioned, play the hole once and you'll know where the basket is. As for the sloping greens, thats one of my favorite parts about this park. Nowhere else around ATL makes you think that much about your putting. I've had some terrible terrible roll aways that were the result of bad luck (bounce off basket and roll to the bottom of hole 8 twice on the same hole :evil: ) but for the most part it's risk reward. Go for it or lay up. Hole 4's green is ridiculous. It's ridiculous how awesome it is. Placing it at or near the bottom is just silly and caters towards the type of people who cried when Leonardo Dicaprio died at the end of Titanic. You will get some bad roll aways, but there's a lot of technique to be able to lay up nice and flat on a sloping green to reduce roll away chances. I guess instead of making the most beautiful and scenic course in Atlanta a very challenging 18 holer, Mike D and all the others who helped design it should have made 36 200 ft hyzer holes and transformed it into a super sized Oregon Park. By the way OP just put in 7 new baskets with 2 tee pads each, and they were definitely put in by a righty. Of the 14 new shots 9 of them are short, blatantly righty favoring hyzers, and the others still arent too friendly for leftys. Being a righty myself this presents no problem, but if Grease comes out to play the new holes he might be sad :( Go White Oak, and whoever Redneck Machismo is on dgreview.com, quit disc golfing so that you can stay home and cook your husband dinner more often. He told me that your meatloaf sucks.
millayday
DX Plastic

Postby JPZ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 pm

millayday wrote:Leonardo Dicaprio died at the end of Titanic... blatantly righty favoring hyzers, and the others still arent too friendly for leftys.

You can't prove that, He probably just swam away....They can always just throw side-arm :shock:
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby atl scott » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:31 pm

millayday wrote:Leonardo Dicaprio died at the end of Titanic.

You watched Titanic? :shock: :shock: :shock:
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby kade.erp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:43 pm

Scott if you didnt go to see titanic than you missed out on the best.... I took two different ladies that week :)
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:25 pm

dont you mean two different SHIMMS.
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby summervillediscman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Just got in from playing about 3 hours at White Oak and, man, what a great course!! This course truly something for everybody: Wide opens. Woods. Water. Blind shots. And those targets on the slopes - so what!?! They make for great disc golf!! I can't think of anything (outside of tee pads and water in water fountains) that this course needs. Thanks, Mike, for all your hard work; it's really paid off and I look forward to making the trip down many, many more times.
summervillediscman
Barney

Postby JPZ » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:54 pm

Was reading this all again and I just remembered...

THIS COURSE NEEDS WAY MORE TRASHCANS!!!

Thank you ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^in advance
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby maximus » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:56 am

NO IT DOESN'T. You bring it in, you take it out!!! Why make more work for the parks or the DG volunteers?!

I have to say I can't remember the last time I threw something away on a DG course while out on the course. Maybe at the "clubhouse" or areas where tournamet central is, but if you take "stuff" out on the course, it should only be lighter when you get back, unless you have an empty trash bag at the start and you are cleaning the course, so why do you need a can on the course. Yeah, its convenient... for you throwing it away.... then somebody has to come back later and haul it out and put a new liner in the can cause you're lazy.

I wont say that ALL of Atlanta disc golfers need to adjust their mentality on drinking or trash placement, but there seems to be a pattern of trash, either legal or illegal, cluttering a lot of our courses and it needs to be addressed.

OK, done preaching, get back to playin'

And this isn't directed at you JPZ, just responding cause it needs to be said more often! :oops: :cry:
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby bogeymaster » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:11 am

Last edited by bogeymaster on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogeymaster
DX Plastic

Postby JPZ » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:39 pm

The whole point of trashcans is so idiots don't throw their trash on the course.
and
That is what they are for, throwing trash in. So we don't have to carry it 1-7 then 8-18 :?

I don't have that kind of space in my bag for empty leaking coke cans...hate the bottles, who doesn't.

Every great course has them.
including ball golf courses.
I understand that someone would have to empty them, but would it be less work dumping a trashcan, or cleaning up the entire course.

You decide...I did
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby JPZ » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:41 pm

Plus if all the trash just piled up on the course it would probably become a.....................drum roll................Safety Hazard! :wink:
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:34 pm

JPZ wrote:The whole point of trashcans is so idiots don't throw their trash on the course.
and
That is what they are for, throwing trash in. So we don't have to carry it 1-7 then 8-18 :?

I don't have that kind of space in my bag for empty leaking coke cans...hate the bottles, who doesn't.

If you had space for it when you started, you should have space when you finish. If you happen to replenish
your beverages mid-round, chances are, your are near your car and parking lot where there are trashcans
readily available. If you are carrying bottles, chances are, they do not contain beverages that are legal for
consumption in a public park. I guess common sense doesn't come to some folks as it does others.
As it turned out at the Crucible, people DID notice the trash that was left behind,
especially beer bottles and cans. I'm down with the trashcans too, but unfortunately, it leaves behind evidence
that inconsiderate people had been playing the course. Bottom line is, as Chris already said, if you can carry it
with you, you should carry it out especially if you weren't supposed to carry it in in the first place. BTW, beer is
illegal with or without the price sticker on it in Georgia public parks.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Trashcans

Postby JPZ » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:45 pm

I carry a trashbag w/ me almost everytime I play my home course JPM...and quite a few others as well.
Picking up other peoples cigs and empty drink containers is a big task on a disc golf course.

Maybe, I would like a place to throw away other peoples trash. :idea:
I mean, I didn't bring that in and I don't hate getting it off the course either. go green
Pisses me off but i'll do it
But, I don't want to carry it all over the course.

I also understand the whole "evidence" thing. (beer cans/bottles)
It is an issue that can not be helped. It's gonna happen.
happens at ball golf courses.
happens everywhere. in every sport.

The only solution I can come up with is buy trashcans w/ lids.
Because, the course needs 'em
and
you can't stop people from drinking. the police have tried.
But, you can pick 'em up and cover 'em up ...out of sight-out of mind :!:

"Thoughts and idea's about the park"
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Wow! NOTHING AT ALL NEEDS TO BE CHANGED ABOUT THIS COURSE!!! This course is amazing. My friend and I played from the blue tees and loved every bit of the course. It is beautiful out there, long, fun, great elevation, and TOUGH, especially with the baskets in those positions. Anyone with anything negative to say about White Oak is stupid! I shot 12 over, and loved it!!! Great great job designer and workers for the course. It will rival any course in America with the concrete tee pads and Signage no doubt!!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Mike D » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Some of the Tennesee guys playing White Oak and other courses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJfu24UZRMM
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby coreyml » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:24 am

saw this at Lost Mountain Park today
Idea for the wooden pallet lillypad area
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/c ... C00370.jpg
coreyml
DX Plastic

Postby rondpitt » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:36 pm

I'm coming to ATL this week. Need some help.

I am staying near Emory. Got a car. Will drive anywhere worthwhile. Need golf for this Thursday and Friday -- during the day. I' m thinking 2 courses each day.

And yes, know it is raining. Truly don't care. Wife at conference. Son at school. I'm playing golf.

Day one.
I got to go to White Oak. Need another course in that direction worthy of your recommendation.

Day two.
Unless someone talks me out of it, I plan to hit Redan. Need another course in that direction worthy of your recommendation.

Oh, and wouldn't mind a tour guide. Mike D. will vouch for me. :D

I'm just an old fart from TN --- looking to see some sharp ATL courses.

Thanks,
Ron Pittman
615- three seven seven - two three three seven
rondpitt
Barney

Postby jritger » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:49 pm

I got to go to White Oak. Need another course in that direction worthy of your recommendation.

best private course in the state -- http://www.pdga.com/course-details?id=3248...maybe 45 minutes south of white oak, just on the other side of i-20

Day two.
Unless someone talks me out of it, I plan to hit Redan. Need another course in that direction worthy of your recommendation.

Definitely redan & JP Moseley (25 minutes south of redan)
jritger

Postby Redan Randy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:18 am

I finally got to play this course and i loved it! We played two rounds and i loved everything except chuncking one my favorite discs in the deep part of the lake on a drive on 17. Great job on the course, i enjoyed the exercise from the grueling ups and downs of it. And thanks again to Grease, for the beers on his deck, a great way to finish up after two rounds at White Oak! I can't wait for tourneys to start up there.
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby StPaulie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:53 am

coreyml wrote:saw this at Lost Mountain Park today
Idea for the wooden pallet lillypad area
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e40/c ... C00370.jpg

the wooden pallet lillypad area is kind of fun right now but long term something else will have to be done. What you showed in your picture is a nice solution. You would probably need at least three of the plastic drainage pipes as the area is larger than the one shown. This could probably be done relitively cheaply if you can find stones around the park to relocate.
He who robs Peter to pay Paul invariably ends up with a sore Peter
StPaulie
Barney

Postby Mike D » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:12 am

What we plan on doing, is placing railroad ties in the swampy area and then building bridges from railroad tie to railrod tie across this swamp.

Anyone have a connection for railroad ties??

Also if you have played out here and have some suggestions (besides traschcans, teepads and signage) please feel free to voice some suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Good news: my mom has about 7 or 8 railroad ties at her house she wants to get rid of

Bad news: if you want them, you have to come to Cumming, GA to get them and bring your own truck.

PM me if you are interested
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:56 pm

If he can wrestle trees outa creeks, surely a couple measly railroad ties should be nothing for DD to handle???
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:17 pm

Well if he wants to come to Cumming, Ga he can have them!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Mike D » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:17 pm

Corndawg13 wrote:Good news: my mom has about 7 or 8 railroad ties at her house she wants to get rid of

Bad news: if you want them, you have to come to Cumming, GA to get them and bring your own truck.

PM me if you are interested

HOLD THEM !!

I will find a way to get these from her!!

THANKS!!

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:41 pm

Alright. Trust me, they are not going anywhere. Call me when you figure it out 678-697-6532. My name is Bobby. Maybe if anyone you know is going to be at Central Park for this weekend's AO, they can pick them up for you. Her house is only about 10 minutes from CP. Saturday morning or anytime Sunday before 10 and after 1 is good for me this weekend.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:02 pm

I don't think you should waste your time and effort with all that. You should just define a path that goes up a little farther so you walk past 10's tee pad and then 9's basket(with a sign on one of the trees reminding you that discs could be in the air coming towards 9's basket). It's not that unusual to have path leading past another hole's tee pad, in fact it is a nice hello spot during tourneys. It just seems like a lot of work, when all you have to do is change the path. I don't think traffic would be a real issue.
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:39 pm

He has a good point. If you decide to go the railroad tie route, they are there, and available, and not going anywhere. Just let me know!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby hstokes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:23 am

Have you given any thought to moving the am tee pad on 3 back to the ridge behind the one it's on? I seems like the am tee is just too much closer/easier than the pro tee.
hstokes
Barney

Postby atl scott » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:01 pm

What is the plan for hole 12? Will it stay where it is now? Hole 13 seemed a lot harder before the tee moved recently. How about 17's tee? When is the next official work day planned as I'd love to show up and pitch in?

Also what is the best way to play when people are in the way around the lake? On saturday there were a bunch of people fishing right by 16's basket and we yelled warnings but they wouldn't even look in our direction. We ended up playing the hole (carefully) and didn't hit anyone but even when they saw us and figured out what we were doing they didn't make any attempt to move. Should we have skipped the hole?
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby atl scott » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Also, can we put a camera up with a live internet feed of hole 17? It would be fun to sit at home and watch laugh at people trying to make it. :mrgreen:
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby Mike D » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:15 pm

hstokes wrote:Have you given any thought to moving the am tee pad on 3 back to the ridge behind the one it's on? I seems like the am tee is just too much closer/easier than the pro tee.

Had not thought about moving it.

I will take a look at it this weekend and let you know.
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Mike D » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:20 pm

atl scott wrote:What is the plan for hole 12? Will it stay where it is now? Hole 13 seemed a lot harder before the tee moved recently. How about 17's tee? When is the next official work day planned as I'd love to show up and pitch in?

Also what is the best way to play when people are in the way around the lake? On saturday there were a bunch of people fishing right by 16's basket and we yelled warnings but they wouldn't even look in our direction. We ended up playing the hole (carefully) and didn't hit anyone but even when they saw us and figured out what we were doing they didn't make any attempt to move. Should we have skipped the hole?

Hole #12 will probably be staying as is.

I agree hole #13 was harder before. Now it is a birdie chance for most.

I think Pete is going to be out there this weekend working on teepads.

Hole #16 does get crowded and the people fishing have NO CLUE. We are going to be posting signs as soon as possible to warn them. I would not skip the hole. Have someone in your group walk up and ask them nicely to keep an eye out.

Anyway keep playing and watch for some upcoming action at White Oak!!
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:35 pm

I will be out to do coursework on 4/25 sat. about 10am- whenever ? I'll try to get a round in at some point too. In case nobody noticed my other posting, I have an auger to use for a while, so I think this will help us make big progress on leveling the tees. If Mike or anyone else has specific directions or concerns, please try to post something before Saturday morning. My other plans are to clear and frame out hole #10's fairway, and make a "cobblestone path" for 12/16 fairways using the large white rocks from the parking lot. For what I have planned, the only thing to bring is a pair of work gloves and any saws/axes for chopping-up downed trees into smaller sections.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby Mike D » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:36 pm

Pete,

Any and all work is appreciated. As you mentioned, It needs to be run by myself or Greg before anything is done.

I think all you have proposed is fine. I will try to get out there, but I can not promise anything. We have soccer (my son) on Saturday and Sunday this weekend and a family function on Saturday afternoon.

I thank you for all the work you have done so far and appreciate you labor.

I think Kevin mentioned getting out there this weekend to work, so you should have some help.

.... I like your idea of moving 16's tee out to the island!! ... I will look into it and see what the parks dept thinks.

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Thu May 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Finally got to play this one last weekend and was impressed with the layout. One suggestion for the teepads as you level them out. If you dust them with dry concrete they will be firmer and will be less slippy in wet weather. Do it before a light rain or before you leave in the late evening and moisture will will harden the powder. keep up the good work!
"Fearlessly the Idiot faced the crowd, Smiling"
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby Mike D » Thu May 07, 2009 3:32 pm

CHOP,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will see what we can do.

Glad you finnaly got out there.

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Re: Trashcans

Postby Big Red » Thu May 14, 2009 10:00 am

JPZ wrote:I carry a trashbag w/ me almost everytime I play my home course JPM...and quite a few others as well.
Picking up other peoples cigs and empty drink containers is a big task on a disc golf course.

Maybe, I would like a place to throw away other peoples trash. :idea:
I mean, I didn't bring that in and I don't hate getting it off the course either. go green
Pisses me off but i'll do it
But, I don't want to carry it all over the course.

I also understand the whole "evidence" thing. (beer cans/bottles)
It is an issue that can not be helped. It's gonna happen.
happens at ball golf courses.
happens everywhere. in every sport.

The only solution I can come up with is buy trashcans w/ lids.
Because, the course needs 'em
and
you can't stop people from drinking. the police have tried.
But, you can pick 'em up and cover 'em up ...out of sight-out of mind :!:

"Thoughts and idea's about the park"

You know, there never has been even one time that I needed or even could see a need for a trash can to be on a disc golf course while I was playing.
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu May 14, 2009 10:25 am

They're not there for you B.R. - they are there for the 'tards who weren't raised right... Better in the can than on the ground - I can't tell you how much crap is left on the CP course and there are trash cans (and signs) everywhere. My son and I picked up 1 1/2 big trash bags full of trash before the AO - and we need to do it again. Pisses me off...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby hstokes » Wed May 20, 2009 8:10 pm

I know the concrete thing didn't work on the 15th tee box, but did we have to move the box back? The increased distance isn't a big deal, but I clanked it off that damn pine tree that's in play now. Isn't anyone concerned about the fragile confidence of a beginner?
hstokes
Barney

Postby Mike D » Wed May 20, 2009 8:19 pm

The back tee is more of a "Pro" tee.

I still use the front tee when I play.
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Wed May 20, 2009 9:19 pm

Fragile bagger! :shock:
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby hstokes » Wed May 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Mike D wrote:The back tee is more of a "Pro" tee.

I still use the front tee when I play.

Ok...can we officially mark them as amateur and pro tees? And can we mark the amateur tees at 8 and 17? I'm sure there are a lot of people that don't even know those are there.
hstokes
Barney

Postby Mike D » Wed May 20, 2009 10:07 pm

I have marked the AM tees on hole #8 and Hole #17 about 4 or 5 times.

Someone keeps taking the PVC marker.

I will be out of town this weekend, but will try to get them marked by the following Saturday.

I also need to fill the info box up with more maps/scorecards since it is empty.

What do you think about making the "swamp" on hole #12 & 16 as "OB"?

FYI,

They cut the grass again and the course looks sweeeet!!
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Wed May 20, 2009 10:10 pm

I don't think there are any electrical outlets in the middle of the course where
we can plug in flashing signs pointing out the am pads. The am pads are there,
you just have to navigate a little. 17 may be hard to discern at first, but locals
should be able to help out. For the first timer, I would suggest walking around
a bit if you can't find the appropriate tee's for your skill level. This may seem
obvious to most, but some..............

I remember trying to navigate many courses years ago without online help and I
did fine. Ask the locals and if none are around, look for the worn spots in the ground
that point at the worn spots around baskets. Look for the worn path between the two.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby mr.disc » Thu May 21, 2009 9:10 am

I spend half my life lookin for the worn spot......... :shock:
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Thu May 21, 2009 10:49 am

The guy who mows the grass is doing a fantastic job! I would still leave a thin strip of shule between the old and new pin placement on #2, it looks better when it isn't totally bald. All that earlier talk about the worn spots, just sounds a little too immature for my taste.
By the way, #15 being further back is a great change, it makes you step up your game a little bit more. I think skill progression works like that or something.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Postby hstokes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:41 pm

Can we bring back the novice tee pad position on 2? It makes for a fun shot.
hstokes
Barney

Postby chain-gang » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Thats one of the great things about this sport, you can throw from where ever you would like! when golfing alone, I play from 1's basket to 2's basket. thinking about it 3's tee to 4's basket sounds interesting!
The 2nd is the ONLY amendment that protects the rest!
chain-gang
Barney

Postby keith johnson » Sun May 02, 2010 8:55 pm

hstokes wrote:Can we bring back the novice tee pad position on 2? It makes for a fun shot.

It hasn't gone anywhere has it?
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

questions.

Postby gregory63 » Thu May 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Well, I've been playing the course, and it's very challenging. Good for my health, no doubt.

But, while I was playing, and thinking of some of the answers to honest criticism on this board, a question keeps recurring in my mind.

Do you want more players on your course? Do you want more dollars in your tournaments? If you say yes, then maybe "f- off and learn to play, Barney!" isn't the right response. Some thought to recruitment might include considering criticisms and moderating the grueling nature of your course.

On the other hand, if you want to make a pro course where you and a few of your friends can play without having to condescend or interact with new players, then it seems as if it's working.
gregory63
Barney

Postby Sergio Martinez » Thu May 03, 2012 7:42 pm

It needs a complete redesign but not because of the hills. If you can't walk up down the hills you may want to consider taking up bowling.
Sergio Martinez
Barney

Postby mrpbody33 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:50 am

Sergio Martinez wrote:It needs a complete redesign but not because of the hills. If you can't walk up down the hills you may want to consider taking up bowling.

I don't think it needs a complete redesign. White Oak is just a grueling course.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby O4PETESAKE » Fri May 04, 2012 9:20 pm

The holes are tough to master, and stringing together a bunch of birdies would indicate that you truly have accomplished a feat to brag about. I will make a 2 on hole#3 some day, and I will brag.
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Re: questions.

Postby djester#2 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:40 pm

gregory63 wrote:Well, I've been playing the course, and it's very challenging. Good for my health, no doubt.

But, while I was playing, and thinking of some of the answers to honest criticism on this board, a question keeps recurring in my mind.

Do you want more players on your course? Do you want more dollars in your tournaments? If you say yes, then maybe "f- off and learn to play, Barney!" isn't the right response. Some thought to recruitment might include considering criticisms and moderating the grueling nature of your course.

On the other hand, if you want to make a pro course where you and a few of your friends can play without having to condescend or interact with new players, then it seems as if it's working.

I'd like to hear a bit more to your story. Were you told that on the course?
The course is a demanding beast if you're not used to hilly terrain, but you can always play another course and that will solve the problem.

A redesign? How could the course be designed without having to walk up a hill? My only problem with the course is that its over an hour away.
djester#2
DX Plastic

Postby O4PETESAKE » Tue May 15, 2012 10:11 pm

My only criticism of the course is that it closes at sunset, but glow golf seems dangerous with those hills. I do like the new signs the park installed. No I am not talking about tee signs....I am talking about the snake signs. CAUTION (Copperhead image) SNAKES. But I am not discouraged at the waste of funds there, since the Paulding inmates are mowing and trimming that place to the standards of a country club. Thankyou first-time offenders!
Disc
Golf, WO 30157
O4PETESAKE
Pro Plastic

Return to White Oak Park