Rock Hill SC

Moderators: Vicki, ADGO BOD

Rock Hill SC

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:01 am

While attending the funeral of my Aunt in Rock Hill, I had time to visit the area. The eastcoast distribution center of Innova is located in Rock Hill (about 2 miles from my hotel!) It's a distribution center only. The guys at Innova were very familiar with the GDGO and Alexander and Lenora.

Rock Hill is a discgolf mecca. There are 3 courses is Rock Hill proper within a few miles of each other. One is on the campus of Winthrop University and is a great course. (27 holes) Two other courses (a 9 and an 18) are located nearer downtown. There are 15 other "school" courses in and under development. These range from 6 to 12 holes each. There is a sports outfitter store downtown that has a great selection of discs and discgolf supplies.

I managed to play the 9 hole course on the way into town. It's very short with natural tees, but very technical. It has long and short tees.

One of the holes at Winthrop is a 300 footer into a bamboo cage with a ~10' opening. Miss the opening and your just about guaranteed a boggie. (My first throw went left into the cage. The next two parked.)

Rock Hill is about 3 1/2 hours from Atlanta.

We're going back!!

Mikey
Mike
Barney

Re: Rock Hill SC

Postby Mike D » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:52 am

No offense meant, but what rock have you been hiding under??

Anyone who plays disc golf knows about Rock Hill.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

If you really want to see Rock Hill at its best, visit during the USDGC disc golf tournament. It is the biggest and best showcase of this sport we love!!

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Vicki » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 am

Those sound like challenging courses Mikey! Ed and I have never played Rock Hill either; I think a road trip is in order this summer!
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby Mike » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Maybe a little offense taken. Haven't been hiding under a rock. I knew about Rock Hill, but had heard conflicting stories. I'm also aware of the tourneys there. What amazed me was the communities involvement and the wide spread acceptance of the sport. Hence the installation of minicourses at so many schools. I hadn't heard anyone mention this fact.

I agree Vicki, a trip is in order. Now that I'm a little familiar with the area, it should be a lot easier finding the courses. I WILL have to get the guys at Winthrop to re-do their course layout. It's a little dated.

See ya on the course,

Mike (y)
Mike
Barney

Postby Mike D » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Mike,

Sorry bud. I really meant no harm.

Rock Hill does have some great courses.

If you ever get the chance, go up the last day of the USDGC. They let you sign up and you can play the Winthrop "GOLD" set-up with all the O.B rope and everything. It is a very humbling feeling when you play the course in that layout.

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 am

Is this the Mikey that hangs out with Charlie and Ron?
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:23 am

stop trollin... :shock:
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 am

Is this the mr.disc that hangs out with Hildago and Santiago?
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:50 pm

Mikey,
I guess a better response would've been, "sorry about your Aunt, but glad you got to see
Winthrop."
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:26 pm

No offense taken Mike.

Thanks for the condolences Grease.

She was an extraordinary lady and I didn't really appreciate how extraordinary until the funeral. The ministers had a hard time getting through the "testimonials". Both chocked up. The second had to stop several times.

My aunt was really excited about my playing discgolf. She commented several times that one course was "in her backyard". She was pretty close. Fewell Park was right down the street from her house.

I'll remember your recommendation about the tourny in Rock Hill. Winthrop looked like a really cool coures. We stopped by after the funeral, but it had begun to pour the rain. I could only play a couple of holes before getting drenched. I think God was crying.

When you're in Rock Hill, check out "Old Time Outfitters". They have a great selection of discs (mostly Innova) and other discgolf supplies including practice baskets and a nice selection of bags. Their prices aren't too bad. They have a lot of other cool outdoor stuff too.

Eat, Sleep, Play DiscGolf.

Mikey
Mike
Barney

Postby Redan Randy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:03 pm

Redan Randy wrote:Is this the Mikey that hangs out with Charlie and Ron?
I know it is rare, but i was REALLY asking this question in all seriousness.
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Randy, sorry, wrong Mike(y).

Don't recall a "Charlie" or "Ron".

Mikey
Mike
Barney

Postby Redan Randy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks, i was just curious. :wink:
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Return to Gwinnett Disc Golf Organization (GDGO)