Augusta Classic PDGA A-Tier 13-14 Sep 08

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Augusta Classic PDGA A-Tier 13-14 Sep 08

Postby Ridesbrd » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:38 am

The Augusta Classic will be a PDGA supertour event September 13-14, 2008, at the International Disc Golf Center, in Wildwood Park.

Tentative Schedule:

Friday September 12th:

2:00-6:00pm - Check-in and Late Registration
4:00pm - Random Draw Doubles Sign Up
5:00pm - Doubles (Headrick Course)

Saturday September 13th:

8:00am - Check in and Late Registration
9:30am - Mandatory Players Meeting
10:00am - Round 1
2:00pm - Round 2
6:00pm - Players Party following round #2 at the IDGC!

Sunday, September 14th:

9:00am - Round 3
1:00pm - Final 9 (Open & Pro Women)
Awards Ceremony

ENTRY FEES

Open Pro: $100
Other Pro Divisions: $90
Advanced Am Divisions: $60
Intermediate and Recreational: $50
Novice and Junior: $40

*Late Registration Fee after 9/10/08- $10

Lodging:

Wildwood Park has come campsites available and we are working with them to block off a section for disc golfers. To reserve campsites please call 706-541-0586 and let them know you are coming for the disc golf tournament. We are also working on a host hotel, details will follow.....

Flyer and mail in registration: http://www.pdga.com/documents/2008/08AugustaClassic.pdf

Online registration: http://www.pdgasignup.com/Qstore/Qstore ... 1218172273

Current Registration list: http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tourname ... urnID=7301

Host Hotel Information:

Hawthorn Suites

4049 Jimmie Dyess Pkwy

Augusta - (706) 228-1990

Rate: $75 Double

Located at I-20 & Belair Rd/Jimmy Dyess Parkway

Map - http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=na ... 4&ct=image
Last edited by Ridesbrd on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Re: Augusta Classic PDGA A-Tier 13-14 SEP 08

Postby Mike D » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:28 pm

WOW!!

$100.00 for three (3) rounds???

Thats $33.33 per round... Or $1.85 per hole... Or if you are shooting par on most holes (3) that works out to about
60 cents per throw.

Why are so many tournaments going to a three round format?
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:42 pm

Mike,

3 rounds on the IDGC courses is alot of golf, the WR Jackson course is a par 69 and the Headrick course will probably play about a par 65. We feel that people will be traveling some distance to come to the event and this helps people get home at a decent hour on Sunday.

The $100 entry fee for open is the A-Tier standard set forth by the PDGA and we are following the guidelines. I am hoping the event value of this tournament will exceed the entry fee.
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby maximus » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:06 pm

Mike D wrote:Thats $33.33 per round... Or $1.85 per hole... Or if you are shooting par on most holes (3) that works out to about
60 cents per throw.

If you were in INT you would only pay half, and definitely shoot more shots, so it would be closer to 25 cents a throw.

Ridesbrd wrote:We feel that people will be traveling some distance to come to the event and this helps people get home at a decent hour on Sunday.

But if we all have to wait for the awards ceremony after the Final 9 for the Pro open and women only, I guess it is more like a 3 1/2 round tourney and the rest of the folks will be playing extra or sitting around waiting anyway?!?

Don't get me wrong, I am planning on attending, love the courses and always looking for some good competition, but don't see the advantage over the 4 round format.
I have played four rounds in 2 days there including and IDGC monthly and got back to Atlanta, before dark, and actually played Redan on the way in.

But most important, I am not the TD and you are, so I will play whatever you set up!!
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby Mike D » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:08 pm

I say while the final nine is going on, the rest of us go play on one of the other courses!!

With the fees as they are, I will probably go ahead and sign up for advanced and play a 4th round while they set-up for the finals.

Later,

Mike D
Mike D
Champion Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:22 pm

I say while the final nine is going on, the rest of us go play on one of the other courses!!

With the fees as they are, I will probably go ahead and sign up for advanced and play a 4th round while they set-up for the finals.

Later,

Mike D

That sounds like a good idea and i support anyone that wants to do that, we will have the final nine structured so that it is spectator friendly. There may be some top pro's in the area as well since it is getting close to the USDGC time frame.

I am also going to try to set up a mini course to pass some time if people would like to play. Bring your mini's $DOLLAR$ i need a rematch!

I am taking care of advertising and communications but Brian Graham is the TD.

Thanks!
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:40 pm

I just want to let you guys know that the camping in the park will be FULL before the tourny fills! Hahaha thats kinda funny but very true! The next weekend after our event is a big women's ESPN BASS tournament and they will be trickling in starting the weekend of the tournament.

Many sites have already been reserved and they are not able at this time to block anything off. I am recommending trying to camp in area 3, which is where we were at in march. So come on out and camp for the Augusta Classic with some bad a$$ BASS chicks!

Campsite reservation line: 706-541-0586
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:20 pm

Online Signup is now open!

http://www.pdgasignup.com/Qstore/Qstore ... 1218172273

Must register by September 10th otherwise there is a $10 late reg fee...........
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby Jay » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Ridesbrd wrote:Must register by September 10th otherwise there is a $10 late reg fee...........

I would like to know everyones thoughts about this $10 late fee please.

I just don't see how the PDGA thinks this will "continue to add value to our membership while
encouraging competitive growth". ....as per the PDGA mission statement.

Thanks,
Jay
Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Jay wrote:
Ridesbrd wrote:Must register by September 10th otherwise there is a $10 late reg fee...........

Thanks,
Jay

Late fees are a Rip Off - Same goes for the additional fee for any tourney if you are not a PDGA member. No disrespect intended to the Augusta guys who are running this event, but the addtional fees are bogus.

I wonder where the fees go? Payout? PDGA? Orphanage?
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby Laserman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:26 pm

Ridesbrd wrote:I just want to let you guys know that the camping in the park will be FULL before the tourny fills! Hahaha thats kinda funny but very true! The next weekend after our event is a big women's ESPN BASS tournament and they will be trickling in starting the weekend of the tournament.

Many sites have already been reserved and they are not able at this time to block anything off. I am recommending trying to camp in area 3, which is where we were at in march. So come on out and camp for the Augusta Classic with some bad booty BASS chicks!

Campsite reservation line: 706-541-0586

Hmmmm big women's ESPN BASS tournament...
I like my women more on the petite side. Can you please let us know when thier bass tournament is?
Thanks.
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IS NO MATCH FOR NATURAL STUPIDITY
Laserman
Champion Plastic

Postby Mr.Mexican » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:26 pm

I dig Small Mouth chicas
Everyday is a smoothie party!!! Mr.Mexican is sponsored by Vern Williams
Mr.Mexican
Barney

Postby Ridesbrd » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Jay wrote:

I just don't see how the PDGA thinks this will "continue to add value to our membership while
encouraging competitive growth". ....as per the PDGA mission statement.

Thanks,
Jay

It really helps TD's to have people sign up early, this will usually lead to well organized events, which will grow the sport. Also day of registration can be a huge strain on the TD and his volunteer staff, when they need to be focusing elsewhere. I know that this can be a hard concept to grasp until one actually runs an event, especially an A tier caliber tournament.

I don't believe "the PDGA" is running this event anyways, Brian is trying to bring this tournament back to what it used to be in conjunction with the Augusta Disc Golf Association.
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby hyzerfool » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:44 am

I love late fees. They're awfully easy to avoid (as in, sign up early) and they make a TD's life monumentally easier. As for where they go when they're used, in Athens we put them back into the tournament. Nobody's trying to make money with them, they're trying to keep people from signing up the morning of or night before the tournament...
hyzerfool
DX Plastic

Postby Jay » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 am

Good input..........Thanks. I think it's still bogus though.

I Don't think in the last few years our local area has had to worry about tourneys not selling out..... So if you have a two course tourney, your not close to selling out both courses, and people show up to get in on the day of registration......they have to pay $10 on top of the high end entry fee, which I don't think is in the best interest of the growth of the sport.......especially when entry fees are maxing out. I also believe that if a tourney is not sold out and if players show up but refuse to pay the late fee, the TD will probably let them in........

I agree that it takes much stress off the TD to be sold out, but paying $10 late fee does not take away the stress of having to deal with late entries....... IMHO is not setting the example.

Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:50 am

hyzerfool wrote:I love late fees. They're awfully easy to avoid (as in, sign up early) and they make a TD's life monumentally easier. As for where they go when they're used, in Athens we put them back into the tournament. Nobody's trying to make money with them, they're trying to keep people from signing up the morning of or night before the tournament...

Jay wrote:Good input..........Thanks. I think bogus though.

I Don't think in the last few years our local area has had to worry about tourneys not selling out..... So if you have a two course tourney, your not close to selling out both courses, and people show up to get in on the day of registration......they have to pay $10 on top of the high end entry fee, which I don't think is in the best interest of the growth of the sport.......especially when entry fees are maxing out. I also believe that if a tourney is not sold out and if players show up but refuse to pay the late fee, the TD will probably let them in........

I agree that it takes much stress off the TD to be sold out, but paying $10 late fee does not take away the stress of having to deal with late entries....... IMHO is not setting the example.

Well if you ask me, which now would be a good time to do so, I understand the $10 late fee. It encourages golfers to not wait to the last minute to sign up, and it makes the TD job much more easier. Doug is correct-Signing up early is monumental, plus it frees up the TD and Staff to concentrate on the equally important aspect of getting the tournament started on time . I can definetly understand the importance of signing up early (like now) so that a TD's job is less stressful.

I also understand how paying an extra $10 fee could be unnerving. But if it is used like Doug suggested it may be an easier pill to swallow.

If I were charging a $10 late fee for Fri night/Sat.morn signups (which I am not btw), I personally would like to pocket the extra funds to help recooperate the money that I have spent on this tournament. And while $10 doesn't eliminate the stress that comes with last min. sign ups, it would definetly help.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:18 pm

dandaman wrote:
hyzerfool wrote:I love late fees. They're awfully easy to avoid (as in, sign up early) and they make a TD's life monumentally easier. As for where they go when they're used, in Athens we put them back into the tournament. Nobody's trying to make money with them, they're trying to keep people from signing up the morning of or night before the tournament...

Jay wrote:Good input..........Thanks. I think bogus though.

I Don't think in the last few years our local area has had to worry about tourneys not selling out..... So if you have a two course tourney, your not close to selling out both courses, and people show up to get in on the day of registration......they have to pay $10 on top which I don't think is in the best interest of the growth of the sport.......especially when entry fees are maxing out. I also believe that if a tourney is not sold out and if players show up but refuse to pay the late fee, the TD will probably let them in........

Well if you ask me, which now would be a good time to do so, I understand the $10 late fee. It encourages golfers to not wait to the last minute to sign up, and it makes the TD job much more easier. Doug is correct-Signing up early is monumental, plus it frees up the TD and Staff to concentrate on the equally important aspect of getting the tournament started on time . I can definetly understand the importance of signing up early (like now) so that a TD's job is less stressful.

I also understand how paying an extra $10 fee could be unnerving. But if it is used like Doug suggested it may be an easier pill to swallow.

If I were charging a $10 late fee for Fri night/Sat.morn signups (which I am not btw), I personally would like to pocket the extra funds to help recooperate the money that I have spent on this tournament. And while $10 doesn't eliminate the stress that comes with last min. sign ups, it would definetly help.

Thanks TD's for your imput, this shows how important it is to a TD that one signs up early.

Jay, we could just close registration ahead of time and not take ANYONE after the thursday before. Example: The PDGA Worlds registration closed 10 days before the tournament, no matter how many people were entered. But instead we are being generous and allowing people to signup LATE. Registration timelines can be set by a TD and our regular registration goes until that wednesday before, after that you are LATE therefore incurring a convenience/inconvenience charge to take your LATE registration. I moved here from Arizona and every tournament i have played in on the west coast has these LATE fees so it is not a new thing. Also it helps TD's figure out how many trophies/for what divisions, how many players packs to make up/request, and how many people we need to feed for the player's party! The less estimation on these things= more money to the tournament= much better event!

The $10 fee does take away the stress of day of registration because instead of having 50 people sign up the morning of, we will have significantly less, because people don't want to pay the fee and signup on time.

As a TD i have learned the most important lesson is being consistent, we will not be letting ANYONE into the tournament LATE without paying the $10 fee.

Again PLEASE SIGNUP EARLY! How much easier can it get, with 2 ways to do it.... :roll:

Free snail mail registration: http://www.pdga.com/documents/2008/08AugustaClassic.pdf

Online Registration: http://www.pdgasignup.com/Qstore/Qstore ... 1218172273
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby Wookie » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:57 pm

so someone can be penalized if things beyond their control allow them to make it to a tournament when they had not planned to? that really seems fair to be charged more than everyone else because they didn't know if they were going to be able to play.... :roll:

What if someone else backs out at the last minute and they get in on the wait list, do they have to still pay the late fee?
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:21 pm

The late fee is really not a penalty, but more of an incentive to sign up early and make
the TD's job easier. Lately, most local tournaments have not had to resort to this as they
sell out well in advance. Hopefully, the Augusta Classic will do the same.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby maximus » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Just for fun, is there any way we can get an update on how many have signed up or how many spots are left, or maybe just have the PDGA site show current registration? I want to make the tournament, but can't register just yet.

Thanks.
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby Ridesbrd » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:32 am

maximus wrote:Just for fun, is there any way we can get an update on how many have signed up or how many spots are left, or maybe just have the PDGA site show current registration? I want to make the tournament, but can't register just yet.

Thanks.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tourname ... urnID=7301
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:50 am

Only 130 spots left tm*

:lol:

*royalties to Keith :shock:
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:06 am

Ridesbrd wrote:Only 130 spots left tm*

:lol:

*royalties to Keith :shock:

Now Master Dave is going to add that to my 6 grand profit totals. :wink:
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Re: Augusta Classic PDGA A-Tier 13-14 Sep 08

Postby Ridesbrd » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:39 am

The WORLD CHAMPION is signed up, are you!?!?!?!?

http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tourname ... urnID=7301
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:31 am

Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Host Hotel Information

Postby Ridesbrd » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:00 pm

The Augusta Classic host hotel:

Hawthorn Suites

4049 Jimmie Dyess Pkwy

Augusta - (706) 228-1990

Rate: $75 Double

Located at I-20 & Belair Rd/Jimmy Dyess Parkway

Map - http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=na ... 4&ct=image
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:41 am

One week until late registration begins.

Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:50 am

Ridesbrd wrote:
*Late Registration Fee after 9/10/08- $10

Flyer and mail in registration: http://www.pdga.com/documents/2008/08AugustaClassic.pdf

Online registration: http://www.pdgasignup.com/Qstore/Qstore ... 1218172273

Current Registration list: http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tourname ... urnID=7301
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby solstice_disc_sports » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:55 pm

EXACTLY! Hopefully no one will INCUR a fee.

How "Professional" is an event where you can just walk up with your rolls of quarters and get in at the last minute with no penalty?
ChrisP. - PDGA 24826 - ADGO 181
www.eatsleepdisc.com
solstice_disc_sports
DX Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Jason, We have to get some mini golf action going this weekend. There's still no winner from last week! i wont be taking it so easy on you guys this time
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:29 pm

$Dollar$ wrote:Jason, We have to get some mini golf action going this weekend. There's still no winner from last week! i wont be taking it so easy on you guys this time

LOL We'll see.

Miniac will be here tomorrow designing a permanent mini course and we are trying to figure out how to put permanent baskets in the ground! He may want to get some side action going on as of now though i am swamped with stuff to do for this tourny, and it looks like i'm not playing.......
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:21 pm

Congrats to the ATL guys for finishing well. Way to go Matlack!
Most of all, congrats to Michael Burton for edging out Dr. Rick
and coming back from a 9 stroke defecit to within 4 strokes of
the lead! Great job!
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Clunck » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:15 pm

What happens when Randy leaves his good luck Clunck at home? A car full of LOSERS is what you get!!

With Clunck=Cashes in Pro the last two tourneys.:D
Without Clunck= second to last in AMs with his travel partner DFL. :cry:
That was in, cocker block doesn't count!
Clunck
Star Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:42 am

Go give oral favors to richardHEAD!!
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments