HOLE No.2

Fayette County - Fayetteville, Ga

Moderators: SlingShot, ADGO BOD

HOLE No.2

Postby Bornabuckeye » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Is there ever going to be any changes to that hole?

I have played McCurry so much and the one thing that holds it back is this hole. I mean i believe its borderline unfair, any possibility of establishing a path through the woods in the near future?
PDGA Member # 36856
donniekreece@gmail.com
(678) 632-2397
Bornabuckeye
Champion Plastic

Re: HOLE No.2

Postby keith johnson » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:23 pm

NO comment. :wink:
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby Funky Bobby J » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:24 am

Unfair???? It's an easy 270' par 5 - legit holes are so overrated... :lol:
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Bornabuckeye » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:26 pm

lol
PDGA Member # 36856
donniekreece@gmail.com
(678) 632-2397
Bornabuckeye
Champion Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:20 pm

Disclaimer: none of this is meant as any kind of personal attack. The names mentioned herein are of people involved in this project. Thanks to all who have had anything to do with bringing disc golf to Fayette County.

IMO:

It is a shame that such a nice piece of land with so much potential is being wasted. It may be a harsh review, but I believe this is a case of a hurried install combined with an attitude of "hands-off-ness" Being a resident of fayette county,I have made some observations and heard some things. This is what I know.

The course/land is controlled by the county.

The county is generally disinterested in disc golf at McCurry Park as it does not generate revenue well when compared with soccer. (Concessions etc.)

The course designer is Ot Arounleut. He designed layout based on the object course that he played there prior to the existence of the DGC.

The baskets were purchased using sponsor $ raised by Alex Smith, a local boy scout, who was awarded an Eagle scout status after the install.

Alex's sister drew up each hole for each sign and Alex had them ordered.

Since then very little seems to have been done by Alex. Ot is totally hands off at this point.

Randy Harris Aka Roscoe was acting as a spokesperson for the course to the county and managed to get the signs put up (good job!) over a year after the sponsors gave $ for the advertising incentive of the sign. (Bad!)

The county, under the original agreement between Alex and them, said they would provide the materials, equipment, and crew needed to install tee pads. So far...nothing.

I have some great solutions to the "hole 1&2 problem" and have offered to give my time to improving this course. This would start with reversing the layout of these two holes. The gravel area to the left of #7 would make a great parking lot (running off the wierdos) and the first tee would be near the concrete picnic table. Put the #1 basket where the #2 tee is. In similar fashion reverse what is hole 1. It becomes hole 2. This would require no trees to be cut!

I have heard it said "McCurry is not fun" and "I'll never go back" from some people who went there for their first experience. This is sad. A combination of alternate pin positions and a shorter set of tees would make this course inviting to those who are new to disc golf (90% of the people who come to play there) While pros may want a "Barney-free" golf course, the last thing we need to do is run off potential players and advocates of this sport.

I'm done venting now. If anyone agrees with me, let's not let this course go to shule.
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby JPZ » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:48 am

QUICK CALL THE EAGLE SCOUTS

Personally, I'm Partial to unfair holes.
Controlling the aggrevation of an errant shot on a no fly zone hole or missing one of the triple MANDO's on a two hole made up course in peachtree City is what makes this game so addictive. It's possible to thread the needle ..................but.................., highley unlikley.
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby RandyH » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:47 pm

You get more help from that first tree on hole two than you do from the county. I tried to get the county to give us a little slack on doing some things out there.....They told me they have people who do that. They told me they where going to fund some tee pads, never happend. They told me there where going to get some more sleeves...never happend. They told me that some of the trees could be moved if new ones where planted....never got back to me. The course is the way it is. If you can't stay in the 6 foot fairway to the hole on hole two...get some more practice.
RandyH
Barney

Postby mr.disc » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:58 pm

SLAM ?
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:23 pm

He's saying just what I'm saying. It's just going to be that way. Its a shame. The county is the main wall that stands between anyone who has tried to make that a finished, polished course. Lots of people have tried to help, and none have gotten far. Still though I am glad it has 18 playable holes. Thanks to Alex, Ot, and Randy for all that they did or tried to do.

Hole 2 is not so bad if you can hit that line with a sidearm.
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:50 pm

mr.disc wrote:"Don't know why but i have a special place in my heart for DongFace"

:roll:
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby prokpieHAT » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:31 am

agreed, its hard to mess up a disc golf course, any course is great. (other than deer lick) lol i know ill get shit for that.. McCurry could be better if im driving that way im gonna go the extra shot to Mosley.. Its cool the sport is growing none the less.. Personal alternate tee pads on a slow day is all i need to make the course i want.. Hole 2 does suck but for a righty all u need is a solid 300 foot nasty side arm, this hole should inspire to have one.. Trees are what make this sport so fun..

Jiminate..

hole 3 played to 17s basket= sweet hole
prokpieHAT
Barney

Postby grease » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Coming from someone who can't spell "pork", I'll let the Deerlick stab slide
due to retardation.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby prokpieHAT » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:42 pm

LoL, Ive never been credited for my spelling.... How is the new course you are working on out in dallas coming along.. Thats pretty exciting stuff.
prokpieHAT
Barney

Postby grease » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Pretty good. Mikey is working on getting the $ from the Parks Dept and hopefully soon. Will keep you posted.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby milenko » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:53 pm

Hole 2 Is a very tricky hole Nothing an Epic cant hadle.Buckeye my buddy steven (the guy who returned your disc at Moseley)hits ever tree and limb on that hole,throw a thumber or tomahawk shot you should be fine.I personally think Mccurry is a fine course.Only thing hard about that course Ive noticed for some would be 4 dont throw straight problem solved,11 i think with road to the right throw straight problem solved seen a couple people hit cars or have disc wedged between asphalt and tire,and my personal favorite 17 holy hello throwing toward the road can be very dangerous due to cars coming round the bend and If they were to jerk the wheel due to disc pinging off windshield you will find yourself wedged between bumper and those lovely pines.
Black 13 STILL SUX!!!!!!!!!!!
milenko
Pro Plastic

Postby JPZ » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:37 am

:shock:
sounds like you need to start throwing a more stable disc
don't you know...............it's Milenko
JPZ
Champion Plastic

Postby milenko » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:57 pm

Works for me.The Great Milenko lol.
Black 13 STILL SUX!!!!!!!!!!!
milenko
Pro Plastic

Postby Clunck » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:40 am

milenko wrote:Works for me.The Great Milenko lol.

ICP sucks!!
That was in, cocker block doesn't count!
Clunck
Star Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:43 pm

For all you old haters...HOLE 2 got trees cut and is now a great hole. Turns out the county is great to work with if you have some patience and people skills.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby Big Red » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:38 am

SlingShot wrote:For all you old haters...HOLE 2 got trees cut and is now a great hole. Turns out the county is great to work with if you have some patience and people skills.

I played there last and week and I am really confused. The basket is in a longer position right than what it originally was? I saw where a couple of trees had been cut down but it really didn't matter with this position. I can pretty much say that with the basket in that position that this is the worst "hole" I have ever seen.
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:46 am

That pin is set up more for the short tee, which is the other concrete slab (previously used for a picnic bench). Its a par 3 and will be used for the GSSS setup. From the long tee to either pin is a par 4 but the left side is much harder. I would agree that it makes for a better hole from the long tee to the orignal pin.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby TokioJason » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:27 am

I was there friday and I liked hole 2. Wasn't too hard but a decent 3. For my first time being there i loved the course and would definately come back. I did not have any problems with any holes and really enjoyed the wide open distance.
TokioJason
Pro Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:28 pm

I too loved McCurry and cannot wait to go back, maybe I'll go Tuesday. That one or few random holes are what make some courses fun. I learned to throw sidearm due to holes 3, 14, and "the hobbit hole" at CP. Hole 17 at Sequoyah sucks but I par it most of the time. Hole 16 at ERP...and so on. It makes courses fun IMO.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Big Red » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:11 am

Corndawg13 wrote:I too loved McCurry and cannot wait to go back, maybe I'll go Tuesday. That one or few random holes are what make some courses fun. I learned to throw sidearm due to holes 3, 14, and "the hobbit hole" at CP. Hole 17 at Sequoyah sucks but I par it most of the time. Hole 16 at ERP...and so on. It makes courses fun IMO.

What is wrong with 17 at Sequoyah? It's actually one of the better ones out there.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:02 am

Not so much like it is a bad hole, just can bite you big time some times. That is more so what I meant. A lot of people struggle on that hole. Another reason I learned to throw forehand. Like I said, challenging holes make courses fun.
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby richardhead » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Simple Firebird spike hyzer shot if you ask me.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Big Red » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:46 pm

richardhead wrote:Simple Firebird spike hyzer shot if you ask me.

In the short position yes, in the long not hardly.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby richardhead » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Big Red wrote:
richardhead wrote:Simple Firebird spike hyzer shot if you ask me.

In the short position yes, in the long not hardly.

I've only played there 3 times and haven't had the privilege of seeing the long position. Where do they move the basket to?
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 pm

I think they are talking about sequoyah # 17 now. McCurry's long pin on hole 2 is a little deeper and a good ways to the left. The tee was also backed up quite a bit. You'd have to see it, but IMO it is a solid par 4 hole that requires strategy and touch for success. It's 470' through tight (but fair) lanes through the trees. If you try to go 400' on your first shot you are probably gonna end up in deep kimshi.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby Big Red » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:19 pm

I am talking about McCurry.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Ok. I will agree that it is a moderately difficult hole to the long pin. It also makes it hard to really see the line to the basket, losing some visual appeal. However, as I said before, it is better from the short tee to the long pin. (firebird hyzer shot) This was done to fix tourney flow issues. GSSS will most likely play short to long, which will keep shots away from hole 1 and speed up play in general. Cat's out of the bag now.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby richardhead » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:49 pm

I was confused. I thought you were talking about 17 at Sequoyah. I've never played McCurry and don't plan to.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:53 pm

It is about McCurry, I just mentioned that the tougher holes at courses make it more fun to me and I named off some other tougher holes at other courses. I have not played the new 2 at McC. I may get a group of guys down there tomrrow, I loved McCurry. Played Deer Lick today for the first time and it was pretty good. McC is better though IMO!!!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Tue May 11, 2010 11:53 pm

Still not a fan...especially in the GSSS layout. My full blown opinion: Awful. One of the worst holes that I've ever had to play* in a PDGA round.

I'd hate to suggest some midnight pruning but then again...

*To have played would mean it that it was of some pleasure. 4 bogey strokes on a hole less than 300 ft ensured there was no pleasure. It would not be such a big deal if there was actual skill required to play this hole. But sadly the only thing required is mucho luck.

I think this needs to be said again:

I'd hate to suggest some midnight pruning but then again...

And no I will not take part b/c I would be the obvious culprit...and I certainely don't condone vandalism...but in this case it might be necessary evil.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Tue May 11, 2010 11:59 pm

Big Red wrote:I played there last and week and I am really confused. The basket is in a longer position right than what it originally was? I saw where a couple of trees had been cut down but it really didn't matter with this position. I can pretty much say that with the basket in that position that this is the worst "hole" I have ever seen.

Check. I agree.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Sun May 16, 2010 10:59 am

*To have played would mean it that it was of some pleasure. 4 bogey strokes on a hole less than 300 ft ensured there was no pleasure. It would not be such a big deal if there was actual skill required to play this hole. But sadly the only thing required is mucho luck.

4 bogey strokes on one hole... :shock: I don't think it is the hole's fault. I'm pretty sure everybody in the lead pro card got a 2.

Kinda reminds me of hole 3 at mosley in that setup. :wink:

I do like the par 4 setup on that hole better but it interferes with hole 1 during tourney play.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby Bornabuckeye » Sun May 16, 2010 11:53 pm

So I played the new layout yesterday both from the back tee and the short tee. I have to say i think the short 3 is legit and fun. My feelings for the four arent the same. Yes there has been some thinning, but there still isnt a legit line to the basket. The only one I saw was no more than 7 ft wide. But rob made a 3 in his first attempt and i had a 2 tree 6 so who am I to talk? We have decided to play the 3 though as it is a more legit score.

So my two cents have been added. I must say slingshot... I love the course. Glad to call myself a mccurry-ian now as im literally 5 minutes from the course now-a-days. Such a more enjoyable walk than the moze. I think i have to limit my rounds at moze this summer to avoid burnout.
PDGA Member # 36856
donniekreece@gmail.com
(678) 632-2397
Bornabuckeye
Champion Plastic

Postby SlingShot » Mon May 17, 2010 11:00 am

Remember it is a par 4 from the back tee, so a "line to the basket" from the tee is not the key here. It is placing your shot so you then have the line on your second shot. If it were cleared out more it would be a tweener.
Andrew Jenkins
SlingShot
Pro Plastic

Postby richardhead » Mon May 17, 2010 11:08 am

There should be no such thing as a tweener. It's either a tough Par 3 or it's a Par 4. If something is considered a tweener, I think it goes back to the design of the course. Something should be moved or removed in order to not have a "tweener" hole. Just my opinion.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Mon May 17, 2010 1:18 pm

check :arrow:
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby Bornabuckeye » Mon May 17, 2010 3:21 pm

SlingShot wrote:Remember it is a par 4 from the back tee, so a "line to the basket" from the tee is not the key here. It is placing your shot so you then have the line on your second shot. If it were cleared out more it would be a tweener.

my refrence was from fairway to basket... there still doesnt seem to be a line... more like a throw n hope you get lucky. im fine with fairway.
PDGA Member # 36856
donniekreece@gmail.com
(678) 632-2397
Bornabuckeye
Champion Plastic

Return to McCurry Park