Going to Charlotte on Sunday 3-18

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Going to Charlotte on Sunday 3-18

Postby dandaman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Anyone want to tag along?

I will be leaving early (I plan on being at Jimmy Carter no later than 8am) and I am heading up to practice some of the worlds courses that Adv. will play this July. I plan on playing two courses then heading back. Plan on not being back till 9pm or so. If you're off on Monday and want a cool disc golf trip then this could be it. Current forcast: 10% rain, high of 64 and wind at 8mph.

Brew is cool but please no extra baggage if you know what I mean.
Last edited by dandaman on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Re: Going to Charlotte on Monday 2-27

Postby craigd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:48 pm

dandaman wrote:Brew is cool but please no extra baggage if you know what I mean.

You're talking about the devil's lettuce aren't you?
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Wacky Tobacky.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby dandaman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Planning on playing Winget (new course) that is described as techinical but fair that play through some mysterious woods (ohhhh...) http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.ph ... 36&mode=ci

and Elon Park- Angry Beaver- another woods course where accuracy is more needed than distance. Good reviews. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3702

Thats probably all that I will play that day. I plan on making 3-5 more trips to Charlotte before Worlds and I will post here letting anyone who would care to ride along to well, ride along. RL Smith, Kilborne, and Hornets Nest will be on future trips. My schedule is very varied so I don't usually know when I will be able to do these more than 1-2 weeks out. If anyone would be interested in this Monday please let me know.

Current forcast: few showers, 30%. High of 54, winds at 3mph.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby atl scott » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:54 am

dandaman wrote:Planning on playing Winget

Just a heads up, winget doesn't do very well in the rain. The course holds a lot of water and the natural pads are still really rough. You can definitely still play it, but you won't enjoy it as much. You'd be better off going to Kilborne.
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby dandaman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:48 am

atl scott wrote:
dandaman wrote:Planning on playing Winget

Just a heads up, winget doesn't do very well in the rain. The course holds a lot of water and the natural pads are still really rough. You can definitely still play it, but you won't enjoy it as much. You'd be better off going to Kilborne.

Forcast has changed: High of 60, sunny and 3mph. Looking good. 8)

I want to play Kilborne but I want to play the way it will be set up for World's. Currently they boast that there are over 1,000,000 different configurations that can be played. I probably save that one for later in the spring as they are planning on releasing the set up for that park soon. Adv will be playing Hornets Nest, Wignet, Kilborne (2), RL Smith, and Elon. I wish we were playing Renny but then again it sounds like the courses that ADV will be playing are all pretty sweet.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Re: Going to Charlotte on Sunday 3-18

Postby dandaman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:43 am

Late notice:

Going back to Charlotte this Sunday the 18th to play Hornets Nest and R.L. Smith. High of 74, isolated thunderstorms with a 30% chance.

Anybody interested in riding along is more than welcome. But please leave the devil lettuce at home. 8)
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby D-Wiz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 am

So, Mr. May, what do you think of the courses so far? I played RL Smith the last time I was in Charlotte. I plan to play a couple more this coming Monday when I return some discs to Rock Hill. I'm really looking forward to Worlds.

Monday, I'm thinking Kilborne and Hornet's Nest or Winget and Elon Angry or some other combo... Any advice?
promoting D-GOLF since 2007
D-Wiz
Pro Plastic

Postby dandaman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:40 pm

I actually skipped Charlotte on the 18th because the forcast called for rain for much of the afternoon while Atlanta was to experience an epic day of 80 degree pure sunshine disc golf. So I have yet to plyt R.L Smith and Hornets Nest...but they are on schedule for my next trip.

Of the two that I have played Elon Angry was very tough demanding accurate tee shots with most of the course playing in the woods. There are some par 4's and I believe two par 5's. I found the course to be tough but fair. There were only a couple of holes that I found unsatisfactory: Hole's 9 and 17. I believe the tee shot on 9 is valid but the green is definetly not. If you hit the necessary gap of the tee the rest is pure luck on where your disc will finish-there are numerous trees that completely crowd the fairway/green. I disliked 17 because the shot was rather impractical for anybody who doesn't throw the corkscrew epic forehand. It's not a hard hole, its just rather dumb.

Wignet is nice. It is not hard and you will be throwing lots of midrange and putter shots. I predict a least a few aces on this one course alone during World's. The first few holes are rather unnispiring, as are some of the last, but the middle holes in the woods make this course a real gem. Very scenic, kind of spooky, and some of the most beautiful flora that I have seen on a course. A real big negative on this course would be to play it after it has recently rained. The course does not absorb water well.

Both courses are within 15-20 mins of each other. I played Elon first and then played Wignet second (as it is closer to I85 than Elon).

I don't quite know when I will go back to Charlotte, but I am hoping to go 2-4 more times before World's.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby dandaman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:49 pm

D-Wiz wrote:Any advice?

Yeah know which layout to play! I got this from Stan McDaniel:

Stan McDaniel wrote:Adv will play the original Hornet's Nest layout. At Kilborne they will play a hybrid layout as follows
1. Short T to long pin. 2.regular. 3.regular. 4.regular. 5.regular. 6.short tee to long pin. 7-9 regular. 10. play to long pin. 11.long tee to short pin. 12.short tee to long pin. 13&14 regular. 15 short tee to long pin. 16. regular 17.short tee to long pin. 18 regular.

THey also play Elon Angry Beaver with will have a short pin on 4, a short tee on 5, and a short tee on 15.
They will play Winget, its only layout and R.L.Smith's only layout.

A short tee on 5 willl make it play much easier.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Return to Q & A