Stretching Suggestions?

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Stretching Suggestions?

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:04 am

I have only played casually for quite a few years. Since moving here to Atlanta, I have had the pleasure of linking up with a person or two that takes the sport a little more seriously and has forced me to learn alot of new things quick. haha. I feel I do a pretty good job of stretching prior to throwing and what not, but I still seem to every now and again torque my shoulder pretty good. I was wondering if maybe someone had some stretches outside of the normal box that has helped. I am pretty good with the standards, but wondering if there is something more specific to the type of actions were using out on the course. Thanks.
Record Spinnin, Beat Making, and Disc Throwing. Life is good.
Dave B
DX Plastic

Re: Stretching Suggestions?

Postby edj42 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:24 pm

How old are you?
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."
edj42
DX Plastic

Postby mrpbody33 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:33 pm

When stretching before a round of golf you shouldn't be doing any sort of static stretching.

You want to get the blood pumping and warm up the muscles that will be used. Even some jumping jacks are good. Do some windmills with your arms (like you're doing the backstroke in swimming) and rotate the torso left and right. Do this to the point where you can feel a little resistance from your joints but never push past that resistance. Basically do the motions you would utilize while golfing and get your heart pumping a bit.

After the round just don't jump in the car and head home. Take 2-3 minutes just stretching out the muscles with static stretching. Once again push yourself to the point that you feel resistance but never push yourself to the point of pain. Disc golf shares a lot of the same motions as Tennis and Ball Golf. It would be best to look up some warm-up and stretching routines from those sports.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:42 pm

I am 30 years old.

And thank you for the stretching tips. That is definitely far off the mark from what I was doing.
Dave B
DX Plastic

Postby Wookie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:12 pm

Sometimes before the round I will use a long broom handle and put it on my shoulders with my arms out over it. I then use it to twist in a range of motions and it allows me to use my arms to push the twist just a little farther. It's a great way to get to stretch some areas in your core group that you can't get anywhere else.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby Clunck » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:18 pm

Wookie wrote:Sometimes before the round I will use a long broom handle and put it on my shoulders with my arms out over it. I then use it to twist in a range of motions and it allows me to use my arms to push the twist just a little farther. It's a great way to get to stretch some areas in your core group that you can't get anywhere else.

Wookie works out poles.
That was in, cocker block doesn't count!
Clunck
Star Plastic

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:19 pm

Clunck wrote:
Wookie wrote:Sometimes before the round I will use a long broom handle and put it on my shoulders with my arms out over it. I then use it to twist in a range of motions and it allows me to use my arms to push the twist just a little farther. It's a great way to get to stretch some areas in your core group that you can't get anywhere else.

Wookie works out poles.

:lol:

Good suggestion though.
Dave B
DX Plastic

Postby kade.erp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:56 pm

You’re Getting Warmer: The Best Dynamic Stretches

These exercises- as taught by the United States Tennis Association’s player-development program – are good for many athletes, even golfers. Do them immediately after your aerobic warm-up and as soon as possible before your workout.

STRAIGHT-LEG MARCH

(for the hamstrings and gluteus muscles)

Kick one leg straight out in front of you, with your toes flexed toward the sky. Reach your opposite arm to the upturned toes. Drop the leg and repeat with the opposite limbs. Continue the sequence for at least six or seven repetitions.

SCORPION

(for the lower back, hip flexors and gluteus muscles)

Lie on your stomach, with your arms outstretched and your feet flexed so that only your toes are touching the ground. Kick your right foot toward your left arm, then kick your leftfoot toward your right arm. Since this is an advanced exercise, begin slowly, and repeat up to 12 times.

HANDWALKS

(for the shoulders, core muscles, and hamstrings)

Stand straight, with your legs together. Bend over until both hands are flat on the ground. “Walk” with your hands forward until your back is almost extended. Keeping your legs straight, inch your feet toward your hands, then walk your hands forward again. Repeat five or six times.
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby edj42 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:59 pm

I agree with not doing the static stretching before, but I believe, for me, I have to do some to get loose in conjunction with more "active" movements.
Use the stretchy bands. They can be used several ways to strengthen, loosen and stretch.
I also think many neglect stretching their hips, lower back, and the buttocks. (Look up "piriformis stretches" to avoid a pain in the ass.) A lot of disc throwing technique and power comes from these muscle groups.
I have also been getting back to weight lifting (light weights only) focusing on the muscle groups that are the most sore after a couple of rounds. Where ever you are sore is the indicator where you need work.
Pay attention to technique and form. Sometimes when people stretch and lift weights without doing it right, you think you are helping but you could be setting yourself back.
Start slow and build up as you go to avoid reinjury or slowing down your recovery.
Good luck.
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."
edj42
DX Plastic

Postby jonp » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 pm

kade.erp wrote:STRAIGHT-LEG MARCH

(for the hamstrings and gluteus muscles)

Kick one leg straight out in front of you, with your toes flexed toward the sky. Reach your opposite arm to the upturned toes. Drop the leg and repeat with the opposite limbs. Continue the sequence for at least six or seven repetitions.

Hur man än vänder sig är alltid ändan bak
jonp
Site Admin

Postby BP » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm

Bob Pressley
PDGA # 42766
http://www.disccaddie.com
Marietta Square
BP
Pro Plastic

Return to Q & A