Rocks not Rocs

Questions & Answers

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Rocks not Rocs

Postby dandaman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:09 am

I am looking for rocks to put on the golf course at JP Moseley. The rocks would need to be at least softball size to briefcase size. I need at least one truckload full but possibly two. Does anyone know where I can find these items for free? I will travel and haul myself.
Johnson! Keep an eye on that Kherplakistan situation...
dandaman
Star Plastic

Re: Rocks not Rocs

Postby edj42 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:28 am

In no particular order....
1. Go to the Chattahoochee (or another river/creek near to you) and find some.
2. Go to a construction site and quite often they have a stockpile of rocks that had to moved.
3. Call a landscaper. They use only the "best" of rocks for their walls, walks, etc. They may let you scavenge some from a job.
4. Have a fun tournament and discount the entry fee if someone brings a suitable rock(s) for your use. Add to the discount if they will tote it to where you want.
5. Can you use broken cement blocks? These may also be found as scrap from a construction site.
6. Ask a Mexican, that is if they are a stone mason or have a relative that is one.
:|
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."
edj42
DX Plastic

Postby thedude » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:24 pm

. Go to the Chattahoochee (or another river/creek near to you) and find some

As a person who likes to trout fish this could be on par with what is known as midnight landscaping, especially if you are talking in the truckload category. Most river rocks you see at landscape places are not from an actual river, they are of course made in China.
thedude
Barney

Postby richardhead » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:04 pm

River rocks serve a purpose in our creeks and streams. That suggestion is foolish, in my opinion.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:40 pm

a mob is growing...
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby dandaman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:16 pm

I would like rocks that I would not have to defend myself from county officials if I was approached while attaining them. :wink:

Broken cinderblocks would not work as the rocks are not meant to be used as filler but are needed for their asthetic value. Meaning I am using them to mark an OB pond on hole 9. The ring of rocks would need to be approx. 50 ft long by 20 ft wide. hence the need for so many of them.

I'm kinda hoping that someone has some in thier backyard/land they wouldn't mind me salvaging.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby TomahawkChopper » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:12 pm

I can maybe load some up in the trunk of my car.Or if you or Josh wanted to bring a truck over there are quite a bit of them in my yard. :twisted: We can take some out of my creek too :) .
The artist formerly Known As MiLeNkO.........
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby dandaman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:03 pm

TomahawkChopper wrote:I can maybe load some up in the trunk of my car.Or if you or Josh wanted to bring a truck over there are quite a bit of them in my yard. :twisted: We can take some out of my creek too :) .

Now thats what I am talking about! Maybe in approx. two and 1/2 weeks time? That will be the next available time that I will be able to acquire the rocks and put them on the course.

Thanks Joey!
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby TomahawkChopper » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Anything I can do to help that will give me time to maybe get them all together in a pile close to the driveway so were not lugging them on the spot.Just let me know when your coming
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Postby dandaman » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:16 pm

I'd like to get them after Perkerson, maybe next day or tuesday...we'll work out the particulars tuesday.

Next item:

I need cinder blocks-preferably the half cinderblock type, but I realize beggars can't be choosers. Any assistance to free ones would be appreciated...and of course they would go to improving a local Atlanta course, not my house.
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:14 pm

all above = Hole No. 11 water fountain !!!!

:lol: :lol:
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby grease » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:16 pm

dandaman wrote:I'd like to get them after Perkerson, maybe next day or tuesday...we'll work out the particulars tuesday.

Speaking of which, Perkerson has some great rocks in their creek. Not to mention cars, bodies, antifreeze, condoms,
hypodermic needles, etc.
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:05 am

Don't forget the dead dog!!!
"Fearlessly the Idiot faced the crowd, Smiling"
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:33 am

Sorry Ritger! Love the course! :lol:
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby jritger » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:20 am

Don't forget the dead dog!!!

that's dogs .... we've found 2!
jritger

Postby Lewis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:26 pm

dandaman wrote:I need cinder blocks-preferably the half cinderblock type, but I realize beggars can't be choosers. Any assistance to free ones would be appreciated...and of course they would go to improving a local Atlanta course, not my house.

I don't mean to poopoo your request for free stuff, but you can buy cinder blocks at the Home Depot for only about a buck apiece. Unless you're looking for hundreds of them they're pretty affordable.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby dandaman » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 am

Lewis wrote:
dandaman wrote:I need cinder blocks-preferably the half cinderblock type, but I realize beggars can't be choosers. Any assistance to free ones would be appreciated...and of course they would go to improving a local Atlanta course, not my house.

I don't mean to poopoo your request for free stuff, but you can buy cinder blocks at the Home Depot for only about a buck apiece. Unless you're looking for hundreds of them they're pretty affordable.

Approx. 50 to start would be great, but a hundred or so would be more than welcome. My wife has called for a cease and desist when it comes to spending money on the course. For the past 3 years I have spent more than my fair share of money on improving the disc golf course. I've had to limit what I want to do with what I am able to do. I can ask and look for free items, but I cannot fully fund for the projects that I would like to do next. Hence, I am relying on my fellow discgolf brethen (and a bit of luck) to acquire the materials that I need.

BTW do you have any old/unused cinderblocks that you don't need? :D
dandaman
Star Plastic

Postby Lewis » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:19 am

Alas, no. Cinder blocks are how my roommate and I keep his dog Liberty from digging under the fence and taking himself for walks in the neighborhood. Every couple of months he'll get restless again and decide to start work on a couple of new "Liberty" holes, which we've found are most easily plugged with cinder blocks. That's how I know they're pretty cheap, but we need all the ones we have.
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:23 pm

You can't really expect a dog named "liberty" to stay put can you?
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby TomahawkChopper » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Sorry Dan been sick since the Icebowl at Perkerson.Ill hit you up when I get the rocks ready for ya.
Joey Tokash
PDGA 35002
TomahawkChopper
Pro Plastic

Return to Q & A