ISO: COACHING on DISTANCE THROWS

Gwinnett County - Lawrenceville, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

ISO: COACHING on DISTANCE THROWS

Postby celticbro » Tue May 18, 2010 10:41 am

Hey all,

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so I thought I would put it in a forum in which on many holes, distance is key!

I'm looking for somebody who is very, VERY knowledgeable of the technique and mechanics of distance throwing, everything from hip and shoulder rotation, arm and elbows, angle of release, etc. I know there are several golfers out there that can throw exceptionally far, but I would like somebody who is good at teaching the deepest of fundamentals and mechanics of distance throwing, somebody who has no problem pointing out the slightest of flaws and give great constructive criticism.

The thing is, I have been playing off and on for over 20 yrs, and I can vouch for myself to say that drive consistency has never been my strong suit. I can throw it on average a decent 290-325 ft on flat ground (not great) but I know somewhere, somehow, I am gyping myself out of extra distance. I want to work on my accuracy through tight fairways as well, but my main objective is to get max distance on open holes.

I've always had sort of a quirky throw and release, that is, until the last few months fully incorporating the true power grip. Before that, I would tend at least half the time to have wobble on my drives before it finally evened out in mid-flight. Since using the PG, the wobble not near as frequent. I also tend to start low on my wind-back, ending up with my release point too high and the disc flying 'to the moon, Alice'.

I've watched many instructional videos on YouTube, but I feel it would benefit me to have some personal instruction handy. However, my main objective is to get somebody to watch, suggest, and coach me on my drives. Pick me apart however you may.

I'm a little embarrassed to even be posting this (seeing I started playing since 1989 lol). But again, I've always had a quirky drive and even when my mechanics hit dead on, it's not always consistent. I know my DG game hasn't as progressed as much as I know where it could be today. And since getting back into this great game after extended breaks here and there, I'm still shaking off the proverbial cobwebs so to speak.

I'm posting this as a 'feeler' really, to see what kind of response this may get. I would be willing to meet this 'coach' once or twice a week at Alexander (or even Lenora) and even pay them something for their time. Now I don't have a lot of money (who does these days? lol) but even if this person is willing to help out just to be a kind volunteer, I want to at least pay for dinner or even some discs. It would mean a lot to me so as to help my all-around DG game.

Please email or call me privately. But if you wish to reply to post or give suggestions, that would be fine too I guess.

Btw, you don't have to be a major pro (though a Phil Arthur or Avery Jenkins type would be cool) ;). Just somebody who is very consistent in long distance drives and is very knowledgeable in technique and mechanics.

brianpkelley@bellsouth.net
mobile: 678-557-5669

Thanks for the space. Keep on brewin' :)

Brian

PS Btw, my dear brother Rob has given me help time and again, but I feel I need even more in-depth coaching (and to avoid too much nepotism lol).
celticbro
Barney

Re: ISO: COACHING on DISTANCE THROWS

Postby billnchristy » Tue May 18, 2010 12:05 pm

I would show up and play doubles.

Monday evening @ Lenora, Tuesday at noon at rotating, Saturday Morning @ Alex.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Tue May 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Rob Kelley's brother Brian? I remember you. You were a pretty good golfer from what i remember.
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby celticbro » Tue May 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Redan Randy wrote:Rob Kelley's brother Brian? I remember you. You were a pretty good golfer from what i remember.

Hey Randman, this is Burger or, as dubbed back in Huntsville '93 (ahem) Rump! lol

How's it goin', man?!? I appreciate the comments. I guess I was a decent golfer 'back in the day', but I have rarely had consistency with my drives, esp playing a full round. I had taken breaks here and there from DG and now, I just want to progress a little more from where I used to be.

I've been back at good ol' DG again for the last couple months, and love it more than ever! Try to play at least 5-6 rounds a week. So I guess you could say this is my personal 'Disc Golf Renaissance' ;)

Maybe you can gimme some pointers??? :ugeek:
celticbro
Barney

Postby Redan Randy » Tue May 18, 2010 7:58 pm

I don't think i can give any pointers with my weak arm. But i would be more than happy to share a McFlurry and play some golf with you sometime! Welcome back!!
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby celticbro » Wed May 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Redan Randy wrote:I don't think i can give any pointers with my weak arm. But i would be more than happy to share a McFlurry and play some golf with you sometime! Welcome back!!

LOL Well, Rand. I'll trade my weak arm for your 'weak' arm anyday! :lol:

Btw, I have been getting great pointers via YouTube thru Dan Beto's instruction as well as Chuck Peters with Team Discraft. A thing I've been noticing is that my X-step was not entirely correct. More of a sideways X-step of sorts. Now I'm working on having my butt and opening up my right shoulder pointing towards the pin.

I also noticed that I usually did not rotate my non-throwing left shoulder while winding back - reason I may have an occasional disc rim bruise on left side lol. Also, Chuck showed that lowering your back forces the natural motion of throw to be lower, creating the most inertia and keeping disc rim low upon release. So now I'm also working on more consistent rotation and not strong-arming upon release, which even up to today was one of my big problems. I took several practice drives at a vacant lot nearby work on my lunch break and already noticed a difference.

As Nathan Doss says, 'Don't throw it as hard as you can. Throw it as smooth as you can with the right rotation and snap at the end.' Or as my bro Rob says, 'Feel the weight of disc, Obi Ching Won.' I'm amazed to discover how much distance and power has to do more with body rotation than just using your arm and wrist.

So now I'm gonna work on that today at, of all places, East Roswell !!!!! That's okay, because I'm gonna just work on my new X-step approach, lowering body to throw flatter, no strong-arming, no grip-locky, just the 2-inch punch at the end and blast it down Hole 18. :twisted:

Then I will brew on some open holes at Alex Dubs this Saturday. I'm so tired of leaving Holes 3 and 9 way short.

Also will get to work more on my FH (sidearm) throws. ERP definitely requires a bit of versatility. But just these few new tweaks to my driving should chop a few strokes off my game :D

I can only hope :?

Later,
Brian (aka Celticbro, Burger, Rump)
celticbro
Barney

Postby RobertB » Mon May 24, 2010 6:09 pm

This site is a great source of information:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... 8fc5bb74c8
Bob Braun #7449
RobertB
Barney