Parking at Alexander

Gwinnett County - Lawrenceville, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Parking at Alexander

Postby Vunter Slaush » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 am

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to give folks a heads-up, Gwinnett County was out at the park yesterday writing tickets for people parked in the grass back near the gravel "overflow" lot.

Considering the amount of traffic in the park, the lack of paved parking and the horrendous layout of the parking lot itself, I found this to be a pretty weak move on the county's part. I saw the officer writing one ticket for a car parked literally five feet off of the gravel (basically the next parking space over).

While I don't agree with the ticketing, I wanted to warn all my discing bretheren (and sisters!) to be mindful of where you park and be sure to keep it on the gravel and away from the mulch path leading to the course. This could be difficult when the park is near or at capacity, but a getting a parking ticket would make for one expensive round of golf!

I was trying to think of ways we (residents, discers, ADGO/GDGO) could perhaps petition the county to expand or revamp the parking areas at Alexander to relieve congestion and mitigate the parking issue altogether. If the local organizations have already brought this subject to the county's attention, is there any way we could perhaps give them a kick in the pants to get the ball rolling and resolve the issue? The park is one of the busier parks in the area from what I've seen, and I think the amount of people and cars is only going to increase as our sport grows in popularity, especially during the peak seasons.

What do you guys think?
-Dustin
Vunter Slaush
Barney

Re: Parking at Alexander

Postby gvan » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:48 am

The 2nd phase of construction will include new parking up by the course. This is not scheduled to start any time soon. It seems fairly obvious that they put gravel where they want folks to park and don't put it where they don't want people parking. The ticketing is not new, but also not consistent. Mostly tickets are given when people ignore the (admittedly poorly located) sign.
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Re: Parking at Alexander

Postby Subicon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 pm

There were a ton of people there this past weekend. Lots of people were parking all over the grass instead of filling up the spots towards the back of the gravel lot. There are NO PARKING signs right there, so if you ignore them and you get a parking fine, I guess you're SOL.
Subicon
Barney

Return to Alexander Park