Leita Thompson Discussion

Moderators: kurt, Imran, ADGO BOD

Leita Thompson Discussion

Postby Lofstrand » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:14 am

Now we can focus our efforts on expanding Roswell Disc Golf and make Atlanta Open an all Roswell event. Leita Thompson Park???
Last edited by Lofstrand on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Re: Thanks

Postby RRPD » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:35 am

Funny you should mention that. I was just out there yesterday looking at a possible temporary set up for The Atlanta Open. Don't know if our administration would go for that, but please have it as an agenda item at your next meeting and bring it to Jeff and John's attention. Personally, I would like to see another permanent 18 hole championship course go in.

Mark
RRPD
Barney

Postby 12StonesScott » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:39 am

RRPD wrote:Funny you should mention that. I was just out there yesterday looking at a possible temporary set up for The Atlanta Open. Don't know if our administration would go for that, but please have it as an agenda item at your next meeting and bring it to Jeff and John's attention. Personally, I would like to see another permanent 18 hole championship course go in.

Mark, are there any other RRPD properties that have the unused space necessary for a solid 18-hole course, aside from Leita Thompson Park? Stephen Gerhard was high on that possibility when he was around, but I'm sure we'd all be willing to consider alternatives. In mentally running down the other parks in the system, nothing obvious comes to mind, but you'd know much better than I would.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby Wookie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:44 am

What about that park that is down by the river near the new construction site? I thought that had been proposed like a couple of years ago.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby 12StonesScott » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:24 am

Wookie wrote:What about that park that is down by the river near the new construction site? I thought that had been proposed like a couple of years ago.

Garrard Landing has been mentioned off and on. I haven't walked the property to look it over, and I'm no expert, but I'm concerned that it's a bit small, particularly if there are other proposed uses. It's also pretty close to ERP, and it'd be nice to have a bit more geographical diversity (i.e., at least have a course on either side of 400, instead of both on the east side).

I also suspect there'd be a lot of constraints and considerations to deal with at that site, given that it's on the river -- wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of legal/regulatory requirements that govern what can and can't be done where.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Postby RRPD » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:57 am

Garrard would be a great spot for a nine hole course, but doesn't have the area to get 18 in. Not sure of the layout there as walking trails and some other things are planned right now for that area. Big Creek is a possibility, but would be much the same as East Roswell and would take a lot of work to get one in there. I think Leita Thompson would be the most "course ready" property that we have.
RRPD
Barney

Postby 12StonesScott » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:47 pm

RRPD wrote:Garrard would be a great spot for a nine hole course, but doesn't have the area to get 18 in. Not sure of the layout there as walking trails and some other things are planned right now for that area. Big Creek is a possibility, but would be much the same as East Roswell and would take a lot of work to get one in there. I think Leita Thompson would be the most "course ready" property that we have.

I would think Big Creek would also have issues with ensuring separation between the course and the bike trails. Those guys seem pretty hardcore and I can't imagine they'd relish having to watch out for Star Destroyers coming in at eyebrow level. I was just looking again at the topo map for Leita Thompson -- tons of elevation change (even more than ERP) and I'd overlooked that 500' by 100' pond before -- could actually have a real water hazard, which ERP doesn't.
12StonesScott
Champion Plastic

Re: Leita Thompson Discussion

Postby RRPD » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:22 am

I was doing some work on Google Earth for another project, but did take some time to check out LT for a good layout. Just doing some quick sketching it looks like we can get a course around 8200 to 8800 feet with 7 really open holes and 11 wooded/mixed holes. Could maybe get a little longer depending on the topography and if we are looking at a temporary Atlanta Open only set up or if we are looking for a more permanent set up. I think our department would welcome the idea of at least a temporary set up to host the Atlanta Open, but not so sure about a "permanent" course. Looks like we can make #1, #9, #10 and #18 all start/end at the big house there (Arts Center West). Appears we can get 4 to 5 holes around/across the lake that is there.

Please feel free to walk the property. It is just past the Super Target shopping center going East on 92. Turn right into the park about 1/4 mile past the red light into the Memorial Gardens area. There will be signs for the trail entrance there. You can also turn in where the dog park is just past the red light and a trail entrance is to the right of that area.

Mark
RRPD
Barney

Postby Lofstrand » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:45 pm

We are top of it! The idea of another great course in Roswell to support the large number of golfers is really exciting for us. I will organize a group to go over there and walk the area and make notes of what it would take to make this happen. Thanks for the encouragement and support. We (RDGC) will be in touch.

-Andrew
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Postby Lewis » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:27 pm

I'd love to see a disc golf course at Leita Thompson park. I walk my dog there from time to time, and have often wondered if the park administrators would allow a disc golf course on the property. Is this still an idea y'all are working on?
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Postby Imran » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:49 am

We haven't yet walked the property, but I know they have quite a bit of land out there.
If Roswell approves the install of a new course, more than likely that will be the new site.
This project is low on the priority list as many other things are currently taking precedence.
damn..., that is one fine piece of plastic.
Imran

Postby Lewis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:49 pm

I understand about the priorities. I'm just glad to hear that it's still on the radar. We're in a similar situation over in Cobb County: the parks dept. has approved improvements and expansion for Oregon Park, but it takes time for planning and fundraising before you can get it done. If only we were all awash in money.

The obvious that you'll notice when you do walk the property is that it's very hilly and very dense with trees. You're likely to get something like ERP out if Leita Thompson if you get the approval. Good luck. :)
Lewis
Champion Plastic

Return to Roswell Disc Golf Club (RDGC)