Gwinnett league poll#1

Moderators: Vicki, ADGO BOD

#1What format would you like to play for a league?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:34 am

Bag Tag
38%
Handicap
25%
Team
38%

Total votes : 32

Gwinnett league poll#1

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:34 am

Please vote if you are interested in playing in a league at Lenora Park
"Fearlessly the Idiot faced the crowd, Smiling"
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Re: Gwinnett league poll#1

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:57 am

Gwinnett Parks and Recreation wants to set up a league at Lenora Park. It would be run by the GDGO and the club would be compensated for running it. The league would be open to all golfers and not just Gwinnett Co. residents. They have little knowledge of disc golf but are eager to get more people on the course. This is an opportunity for us to show the support disc golf has in Gwinnett. Please respond to the polls with the courtesy that you would hope to receive yourself. I am running point on this and if you have any questions please feel free to PM me. CHOP
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby merobins » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:45 pm

I would prefer bag tag format.
merobins
Barney

Postby billnchristy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:28 pm

I don't really care because we will play to support the park and the club but I really think if you want to get a bunch of people involved then they need to have the ability to win. Whether that means small, easy divisions or handicapping, so be it.

I mean, look at bowling, there are tons of leagues with very casual players playing because they can contribute.

Oh...thought...

Instead of handicapping, how about teams? Each consists of a top player, an intermediate, a rec, and a newbie. They don't even have to play together, but their scores will go into the teams total and the best team at the end of the season gets the lawn jockey trophy or whatever.

How do you decide? You play 2 rounds average the scores and then pair everyone up.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:51 am

The division of players for bag tags would, at first, be just Advanced, Recreational and a Women's division. I feel this would provide the best initial start up. Advanced players would be PDGA members with a tournament experience. Recreational players would be golfers who have limited experience with PDGA events or newbies. All ladies would play as one group. When we get a few seasons under our belt I think teams or handicapping would be a viable option. Starting off with teams may be difficult without a base of players to choose from. Also with a few seasons, adding an intermediate division is possible, so that Recreational players from previous seasons can move up as their skills improve.

The first thing we need to do though is get some people out there and show the parks that disc golf is something that the residents of Gwinnett Co. want! A disc golf league is something that can grow and change as the league develops. I see in the future the league rotating play between Lenora and Alexander, and if its big enough, pressuring the County to get the ball rolling on more courses. Thanks for the input it will be looked at and considered.
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby billnchristy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:56 am

Ok, divisions are cool, I wasn't sure if it was a 1-20 or whatever and us suckos get to hold 18-20 the rest of our lives. :lol:
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:12 pm

I voted for team. Mainly because there is no Team league action around. Sounds like fun
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:48 am

Teams do sound like fun $, but I think we will need a base of players to choose from before we could set up teams. You'd want the teams to have a cross section of players; Pros, Advanced, Newbies and Ladies per team. The County, so far, is sold on Tags because of the cost factor, but they are open to finding out what the players want and trying to provide it.
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby Derek Wonderly » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:34 pm

I am new to this as well as tourneys, what is bag tag, handicap, or teams?
Disc Diver "Team Alexander"
Disc diving is an obsession....and returning them is just good Karma

http://www.discgolfscene.com
Derek Wonderly
Barney

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:54 am

Bag Tag= Players are divided into divisions according to skill level and play a round. The best score is given the #1 tag, second best #2 and so on.

Hadicap= After a few rounds of play each players will earn a handicap to par. Susequent rounds will be adjusted to their handicap, thus all players will compete on the same level. See Perkeson Park thread for an example of the process.

Teams= A group of players with different skill levels compete as a team against other teams. Teams would have at least one of each group, Pro, Advanced, Recreational, Ladies.

Hope this helps?
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby Carl Wms » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:56 pm

Tags would be fun, but I voted for Teams because Lenora is an open fairway type of course and is well suited to mixed division doubles.
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Can't Hit Open Putts wrote:Bag Tag= Players are divided into divisions according to skill level and play a round. The best score is given the #1 tag, second best #2 and so on.

Actually, the ADGO bag tags are the only I've ever heard that split into separate divisions. As they say in Highlander, "There can be only one!! (#1)"

I heard next yr the tags are growing even more "PC" by offering tags for all the divisions, including age protected. That way there can be like 12 number ones out there!
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:53 pm

I agree with you in principle $, but somebody who has 2 discs and has never played is going to be intimidated by any golfer with a bag full of plastic, let alone a player of your caliber. The idea of the league is to generate more interest and activity in disc golf and seperate divisions will do it better the Highlander approach.
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby $Dollar$ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:24 pm

I completely understand what you are saying.But let the least skilled play together? That doesn't seem like the best way to get better. I think that increasing one's skills and knowledge would be more beneficial than just having people only play against people they have a chance of beating.

just 2 cents from a Dollar
BAAAAKAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
$Dollar$
Champion Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:53 pm

I would seperate the divisions only for scoring puposes. The intimidation comes in competing against you, not playing with you! The format would be random at all times until the final. The only separation might be if the ladies would want to play together as a group. I've always appreciated PDGA tourneys where the first round was a mix of all divisions and then split after the scores were posted. I've got to play with some premier golfers that way. Plus it will make it more fun to figure where you're at if you're not playing with your closest competitors. Keep up with the questions $, it will make it easier to explain when this starts.
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby akahammer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:13 pm

i think its great that someone wants to start a league, this is just my opinion just as in bowling the handicap system works well.it does not matter what your skill is,Ias a new player i could ,on any given day beat the top pros ,as i could lose to the newest of newbies.therefor if its teams ,you dont have to adjust for skill levels.you could have a team of pros playing team of newbies.either team could win and the newbie can still play with better players and learn.and if a pro does not like playing with weaker players and helping the sport grow,then i would not want them out there anyway.but thats just me im here to suport the league and want to see the sport grow
akahammer
Barney

Postby billnchristy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:25 pm

The sign at Lenora seems to already have dates for the league, is that official or tentative?
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:13 pm

Tentative, I'll be giving Keith and Ronnie the poll results this week and going on from there for planning and scheduling.
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:04 pm

sundays. :idea:
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby Steve Adams » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:33 pm

Can't Hit Open Putts wrote:Tentative, I'll be giving Keith and Ronnie the poll results this week and going on from there for planning and scheduling.

Does the 1st weekly winner also get some CHOP cheesecake?
PDGA# 34138
ADGO# 134
Steve Adams
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:11 pm

I think the action should be just like doubles are played but as singles. It should be one division.
Maybe GDGO can make an example and NOT cower to being PC and making multiple divisions.
All this division splitting and leveling the playing field that the PDGA has done recently is weakening
the players and not making them work to be better. Don't make me go to "back in my day".......
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Redan Randy » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:31 pm

grease wrote:"back in my day".......

..........Image
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Cha Ching » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:38 am

Wow, Grease hasn't changed much?! :lol:
Team Greenhill Woods
Cha Ching
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:06 am

I just got sexier! GRRRRRR!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby billnchristy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:23 am

Yeah that plan will get new players out there. :roll:

We aren't talking about people who are already hooked and playing every week, we are talking about the endless throngs of people at Alex throwing beach frisbees with their kids and girlfriends.

Lets put guys that throw a 80 at Lenora with those who throw low 50s...that'll keep 'em interested.

"How'd you do honey?"

"30 more strokes and I got those bastards!"
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:00 am

Generally, the guys throwing beach frisbees won't have anything to do with
any kind of organized action.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby billnchristy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:37 am

Probably right. I got the impression that the county wanted to bring new players in though, not the same 3-4 guys that maul everyone on a weekly basis.
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:17 pm

My input really doesn't matter as I wouldn't be out there playing anyway. I'm
sure you locals will come up with what works best. Just my 2 cents.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:04 pm

Here is what I proposed to GCP&R:
Thursdays at 6:00
Bag Tags- 2 Seasons Teams- 1 Season
Season 1 April 8- May 27. Season 2 June 10 to July 29. Season 3 August 12 to September 30.
(1 week in between each season for make-up or finale)
$20 to $25 per season.
I also asked for clarification on what prizes they could offer and how much the GDGO would receive for managing the action. I would like to thank all who voted and posted their views, they were quite helpful. I don't expect an answer until after Thanksgiving. I will post their decisions when they become final.

On the ?'s raised by divisions:
If the goal is to get more people on the course then seperate divisions is the most logical format. Besides gender, I can only see 2 divisions (Advanced, Recreational) as opposed to the myriad that the PDGA offers. In my many years of playing I've found that, although we are a bunch of great people to play with, we can be intimidating with our bags full of discs to newbies. Mixing the divisions during play is the way to keep the newer players interested in continuing to play and not disheartened by being beaten by a travelling Pro or seasoned Advanced player (read BAGGER). I would hope that when you sign up for Season 1, you would sign up for the appropriate division and play where you would have the most fun and not where you could bag the most action.
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby dale » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:33 pm

CHOP, thanks for all the work you have done on this so far. I am looking forward to the league starting!
dale
Barney

Postby billnchristy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Great news and my wife just found out that her karate classes are moving to monday so we are available Thursdays! 8)
billnchristy
Star Plastic

Postby edj42 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:55 am

combining the talent is good because you only get better playing with those that are better. Some level of encouragement to the newbies will keep them interested and coming back, too.
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it is a frisbee."
edj42
DX Plastic

Postby Steve Adams » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:20 pm

edj42 wrote:combining the talent is good because you only get better playing with those that are better. Some level of encouragement to the newbies will keep them interested and coming back, too.

'Newbies' that want to improve their game by playing with better players can certainly join up for the advanced division. I believe GP&R wants the recreational division for players who aren't necessarily ready for that jump, but still want some competition among people of their own skill level.
PDGA# 34138
ADGO# 134
Steve Adams
Pro Plastic

Return to Gwinnett Disc Golf Organization (GDGO)