Little Mulberry Park Disc Golf Course

Moderators: Vicki, ADGO BOD

Little Mulberry Park Disc Golf Course

Postby gvan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:51 pm

The GDGO is proud to announce that a new Disc Golf course is under construction in Gwinnett County. Little Mulberry Park is located one exit north of the Mall of Georgia on 85 (Hammilton Mill Exit). The GDGO was happy to be involved in the selection of the design team and has visited the site to comment on the layout. The course will not be complete in 2012, but construction is expected to move quickly in 2013.

The course will end up being somewhat more challenging than Alexander ond will be a Blue/Red course. 18 holes, multiple pin positions and 2 Tees at each hole.

The designers, Ryan Harris and Ryan Fickel, will have some information, a design plan, and maybe some pictures at the ADGO event on Sunday.

Here is an article on the plan.

Dacula Patch Article

And here is the GDGO on the day they walked the course (minus Mikey Curtis and Gerrit Van Vranken).
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Re: Little Mulberry Park Disc Golf Course

Postby Vunter Slaush » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:30 pm

I'd like to be the first (on here, at least) to say congratulations, that is completely awesome and exciting!

A big thank you to the GDGO for their continuing contributions to growing the sport in our county. I have no doubt you all have what it takes to turn this into yet another stellar and successful course for Gwinnett Co.

I look forward to hearing updates in the future. I would love to come lend a hand during workdays, and I'm pretty sure I've got a few guys that would gladly join us :mrgreen: .

Good luck with the rest of the planning/politicking, hope to see you all out there next year!
Vunter Slaush
Barney

Postby Corndawg13 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Man I was waiting forever!!!! I'd like to be the second to say congrats and thank you for the efforts thus far! Let me know when and how I can assist on the new course!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Forsyth County Disc Golf Organization President
http://www.facebook.com/FCDGO
COME TO CP DUBS SUNDAYS AT 2!!!

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby craigd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Corndawg13 wrote:Man I was waiting forever!!!! I'd like to be the second to say congrats and thank you for the efforts thus far! Let me know when and how I can assist on the new course!

Bobby, I don't think you'll like the course. As far as I know there are not any 5000' holes planned. :mrgreen:
Craig Dickerson
PDGA# 38061
ADGO# 258
craigd
Pro Plastic

Postby Corndawg13 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:26 am

Lol, not yet but I may try and influence one hole at least!
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

If I don't respond to a post in due time, please message me on Facebook or call/text me, thanks!
Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:24 am

LMP will be about 95% in the woods, forcing consistent technical play. We think the course will play similar to E. Roswell, but more in the woods, and longer. Here are some preliminary numbers for the course:

Course Length (Long): 6,375'
Course Par: 58

Hole Lengths:

1 265
2. 450 (par 4)
3. 265 (down hill, ace run)
4. 385
5. 335
6. 310
7. 390
8. 345, 365 long
9. 430, 465 long (par 4)
10. 675 (par 4, signature hole?)
11. 420, 465 long (par 4)
12. 350
13. 195 (ace run)
14. 255
15. 285
16. 305
17. 295
18. 315

Avg. Hole Length: 354'
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Corndawg13 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 am

Hell yeah! 4 Par 4's and 2 ace runs!! Sweet!

When can I/we help with the set up?
Bobby Corn
Cell - 678.697.6532
PDGA #43596

Corndawg13
Champion Plastic

Postby ryanwatson » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:37 am

its interesting to me that u say the cousre will be primarily in the wood like erp. yet.... the signature hole will be a wide open medow shot :roll: :roll:
ryanwatson
DX Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:39 am

Well that area of the park is still a "no trespassing" area and the cops did come out and question us our first day field designing. For now, they hope the project goes out to bid at the start of 2013 and to start construction Spring 2013. At that point the major clearing and construction will take place for all of the other phase 3 improvements as well as the disc golf course. I will post updates as I get them in this forum and will let you all know when we are able to go out and fine tune the course. Thanks for the interest and positive feedback!

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby brundag4 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:06 pm

This is awesome! I just moved from Michigan into Hamilton Mills, so this course will be 1 mile from my house!!! Thanks to everyone that has worked on getting this course approved. I look forward to helping build this course. Please let me know when your heading out there to start the work.
brundag4
Barney

Postby SKELETOR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Lenora 1995, Alex 2009, Little Mulberry 2013? Wow good to see the GDGO effectivly getting more courses installed in Gwinnett. A few more and maybe a bid for the WORLDS. Good to have a organization promoting the game helping keep green space but allowing Disc Golf. Gary Defauw got lenora installed in 1995 and since his involvement Gwinnett County has been slow to allow more courses due to complaints during the 90's from Lenora walkers nearly being hit by discgolfers. Hopfully they wont chop the course up like has been slowly done to Alex, holes 5, 8, 12 have become dangerous to walkers on the gravel paths behind the baskets.
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan
SKELETOR
DX Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:06 am

Ok... here is the Course Map Sign for LMP and the Tee Pad Signs(follow the link below). I included hole lengths, topography and pars on the Overall Sign so you can get a feel for the holes. Now we just have to wait on GwCo to move forward on this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89397836@N ... 25/detail/

-Ryan
Last edited by Renoryn on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Renoryn
Barney

Postby GatorBait » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Pretty stinking excited about another GC course!!! :shock:
Mason Shawver
PDGA # 55682
The gene pool could use a little chlorine...
GatorBait
Barney

Postby coreyml » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 am

Renoryn wrote:Ok... here is the 95% Course Map for LMP (follow the link below). This graphic will be on the sign when you walk up to hole #1, similar to Alexander Park. I included hole lengths, topography and pars on the plan so you can get a feel for the holes. Now we just have to wait on GwCo to move forward on this...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

-Ryan

I click that link and get this:

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
coreyml
DX Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:31 am

I have uploaded the Course Overall Sign as well as the 18 Tee Pad signs to Flickr. Hopefully the following link should work. I have also posted these images to my company FB page along with some other photos of the site. Search for Planet Earth Designs and "like" us and you will get updates on the course when I post them.
[url]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89397836@N ... 25/detail/[/url]
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Vicki » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:24 pm

This course is going to be very challenging! Great design Ryan, kudos to you and your partner Ryan Fickle for creating another wonderful course for Gwinnett County!
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:54 am

Well, I finally have an update and some good news! They are wrapping up the plans and specs for the construction documents for Phase 3 right now. They are estimating it to go out to bid Feb-March. Estimated start of construction in May- June. The good news is that the DG Course IS IN THE BASE BID! That means that it IS NOT a part of the bid alternates, which means Gwinnett will have its 3rd Disc Golf course by late Summer- early Fall (hopefully...) I will continue to bother these guys for updates cause I know the lines are getting long out at Alexander....

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Mort » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:24 pm

Will this design be better than ERP and Yargo.

Mort

Mort
Barney

Postby Renoryn » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Mort,

That is yet to be seen. As it is right now, the course is just a stand of woods. The layout has been completed, fairways have been taped in the woods, and Tees and Baskets have been flagged, but there is still much work to be done including two rounds of clearing, then tee and basket tweaks. It will also depend on your skill level as this course will cater to Blue and Gold level players from the long tees. (but will be manageable from the red tees for intermediate players). We are confident that the design will be well received by advanced players, with many holes forcing long, technical shots with lots of risk/ reward. The course length and tightness of fairways will be comparable to ERP, but we will try to create more "fair" fairways than some of the holes there. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it later this year.

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Renoryn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 am

We were out at LMP this weekend making a few tweaks and finally drove over to the original park entrance on Fence Road to hike some trails. This park is truly an amazing piece of property. I recommend walking up to the Observation Terrace, which is the park's high point with a great view, then hit the Ravine Loop trail. Great mature hardwoods and it feels like you're in the N. GA mountains with the elevation changes. We thought we had an awesome piece of land to work with on the course (whick we do), until we saw the rest of the park, haha....

Were looking forward to the construction process this Summer.

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby coreyml » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:02 pm

I went out there saturday - gloomy and wet to just check the park out. I printed out a map of where the DG course would be . I walked around the lake trail ( i thought hog mtn was the only entrance and that was the only trail). The lake trail is 2.2 miles - didnt expect it to be that long - and comparing the DG map to the park on google maps - i could not get a grip on where the course would be until i realized just how huge this park is. I just looked up the trail info and there's nearly 20 miles of trails in this park (and enough room for several DG courses). I am very excited about this course. Please post if help is needed. Until then, i will keep paying my taxes. I am glad I moved out of cobb
coreyml
DX Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:53 am

Oh yeah, if you are a Disc Golfer living in Gwinnett you're sitting pretty good. It's just not this easy in other counties. In GwCo, you ask for more courses and get them, fully funded...

LMP is definitely a huge, awesome park! Plenty of room for more courses. We will keep you posted on future work days, but it will probably be after all the other construction is finished this Summer. (hopefully)

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Doctwg » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:08 pm

I've heard some talk that LMP won't be completed until 2014 rather than 2013. Does anyone have any accurate info?
Doctwg
Barney

Postby Renoryn » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:21 am

Along with the new parking area/ Disc Golf Course/ Playground, there are some alternates in other areas of the park that may or not happen with this phase of construction. If the county decides to go ahead with everything, the project timeline would be one year. If they decide to not do the alternates, the timeline would be much shorter. I'll keep you guys updated as I get the news.

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Renoryn » Wed May 29, 2013 8:06 am

We are super excited to announce that our company has been sub-contracted to build the disc golf course at Little Mulberry Park! We start construction in a couple weeks and expect the course to take a couple months of clearing then another month or so for tee pads and signage. The GC hopes to be finished with the Phase 3 construction by December, 2013 WHICH IS WHEN THE COURSE WILL OPEN. We expect to be able to deliver a much higher quality finished product since we will have more control over the clearing, final placement of tees and baskets, and placement of signage. We also plan on utilizing the resource of local Advanced/ Pro players for feedback on the technical aspects of the course. It is not going to suck.

Now a request for you guys: Please do not try to go check out the course before it is officially open. It is a construction site and there is a liability associated with having non-workers on the property. We had issues at Alexander with people playing while the park was still being constructed. This ultimately pissed off the county and we really do not want to piss off the county. Please do not go out there, and I will post updates on here and progress pics on our FB page.

This is a great opportunity for our company to step up to a larger construction project, and a personal dream to get to create a recreational space for so many people to enjoy. Thanks to everyone who has supported our cause this far! Time to go buy some chainsaws! :D

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Renoryn » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Hey Guys,

We have been making solid progress on the course these past 12 weeks. We are more and more excited every day to see this course take life. It is going to be challenging, but hopefully not too punishing. We have opened up some wide lanes in the woods for some big rips and we have left some holes much tighter to force accuracy off the tee, on the approach and when putting. We are looking forward to opening day and seeing what scores you guys can post out there.

We have seen some signs of people coming out and walking around the course on the weekend. Once again, I ask for your patience. This is still a construction site until the park opens, and cops will issue citations to people trespassing. It will be open soon enough, but until then please don't come out there. Thanks, and sling on!

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Renoryn » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Hey guys, here's an update on the course:

We have approval on all of the 35 tee pads that we poured! That approval was huge... This week we finished installation of the 42 basket sleeves. Every hole has at least an A and B location. Four holes have A, B and C locations.

* Holes 2, 8 and 9 will have two (A and B) par 4 locations.
* Hole 10 will have one par 4 location and two par 5 locations.
* Hole 15 will have one par 3 location and one par 4 location.
* All of the remaining holes will be par 3's, making the course a par 60 with everything long, and a par 58 with everything short.

We have gone through the course about 6 times cutting stumps flush to the ground. We may never find all of them, but we got most of 'em. We have taken special consideration to clear out limbs that were encroaching into intended fairway lanes. If it meant standing inside of the bobcat bucket fully extended, with an extension on our pole saw, then that's what we did. We have opened up some very high ceilings to allow for some creative shots. There is no shortage of options on most of the tee shots. Hole 17 has about 6 different fairway options off the tee, none of them great... Special consideration was given to existing drainages and we have shaped the earth around the tee pads to avoid any future issues with erosion, which usually leads to cracking.

I can't wait until the general contractor starts to build the small plaza area for the #1 tee area. I have never seen anything like this at a course, and I hope you guys think it is not only cool looking, but functional when sitting there, waiting for someone or running doubles.

The contractor is taking longer than expected with the rest of the project with such a wet Summer (parking lot, restroom building, playground, pavilion). We are now looking at a Spring 2014 opening for the park and DG course. I know this is longer than they originally thought, but please be patient with them and PLEASE do not go out there and try to check out the course. The contractor has already found some people doing this and they have expressed their concern over liability to me. Be patient, it will be open in a few months.

I will get some final hole lengths and course length in the next week or two.

-Ryan H.
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Renoryn » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:21 am

Little Mulberry Park
Final Course Stats

Blue Tees
1. Par 3 A-275', B-300', Foliage Density- 5/9 ("Average")
2. Par 4 A-445', B-460', Foliage Density- 6/9 ("Woodsy")
3. Par 3 A-230', B-235', Foliage Density- 6/9
4. Par 3 A-355', B-390', Foliage Density- 5/9
5. Par 3 A-290', B-325', C-310', Foliage Density- 6/9
6. Par 3 A-275', B-335', C-225', Foliage Density- 6/9
7. Par 3 A-270', B-280', Foliage Density- 6/9
8. Par 4 A-405', B-415', Foliage Density- 7/9 ("Corridor")
9. Par 4 A-440', B-435', Foliage Density- 6/9

10. Par 4/5 A-700', B-930', C-940', Foliage Density- 4/9 ("Stands")
11. Par 3 A-270', B-250', C-240', Foliage Density- 6/9
12. Par 3 A-350', B-310', Foliage Density- 6/9
13. Par 3 A-195', B-190', Foliage Density- 7/9
14. Par 3 A-225', B-240', Foliage Density- 8/9 ("Tighter")
15. Par 3/4 A-420', B-270', Foliage Density- 6/9
16. Par 3 A-300', B-305', Foliage Density- 6/9
17. Par 3 A-285', B-270', Foliage Density- 7/9
18. Par 3 A-225', B-220', Foliage Density- 5/9

Course Par: (Long) 60
Course Length Blue: 6,410'
Avg. Hole Length: 356'

Course Length White: 5,275'
Avg Hole Length: 293'
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Northside99 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:19 pm

Is there a construction update for LMP?
Northside99
Barney

Postby Vicki » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:53 pm

When I asked Gwinnett County if July 19th would be a good Opening Day Tournament Date, I was told:

"We are not planning anything for Little Mulberry until we have confirmation of an opening date. We are having issues with construction and the quality of the work that we will be working through and at this point there is not a date that provided as to a possible opening day."

I will update again when I get new information. Patience is something I'm still working on.

Vicki
Vicki
DX Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:39 am

Thanks Vicki! I just want to clarify, the County's issues with the work done being out there are NOT with our work on the DG course...

We (Planet Earth Designs) had a meeting out there last Thursday with the county and the General Contractor. The General Contractor STILL did not have the asphalt down on the parking lot, amongst other things that had not progressed in 6 weeks since I was last out there... On the up side, our DG signage materials were approved and they are going to be awesome! We will be ordering and assembling the signage in the next month. After we get the DG signs in, PED will be finished out there with our contract.

The biggest variable for the course opening is the sod installation on the DG course. The county REALLY wants to put sod in most of the fairways. They are worried about erosion and future maintenance, so their thought is if some of the sod takes, then the erosion issues will be lessened. PED has voiced our concern with the success of the sod in the woods, but they still want to move forward with it. Once the sod goes down, it will need to be rooted in before they will open the course- even if the other areas of the new park addition are open. (maybe we have a work day where we all just spray fertilizer on the sod?!!)

I realize this is frustrating for all of us, but it will be pretty sweet to have grassed fairways in the woods. Also, erosion is a real issue, and we should ultimately be happy that the county is willing to spend money on the front end to try to solve issues on the back end. Stay patient friends, it will be worth it...

-Ryan H.
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Bomber » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:56 am

Hey Ryan!
I would always be willing to volunteer some time helping you do all of this as I live 5 minutes from there! Just tell me a day and I'll help put up some signage or spray some fertilizer! Let's get this place open!

PTB :)
Bomber
Barney

Postby sonicyouth » Mon May 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Any updates/estimates? June? July? Looking forward to it!
sonicyouth
Barney

Postby Big Red » Tue May 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Considering I live in Dacula I hope this course turns out well and I am looking forward to playing it. Not being a fan of woods courses with holes that have "six lines and none of them great" I am concerned but optomistic! I can't wait to give it a try!
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Thu May 22, 2014 7:55 am

Feedback has been very positive from multiple disc golfers that are in our target demographic (white and blue level players). No need to fret Big Red!

Six benches are being installed on the course today/ tomorrow and the progress was looking good on the parking lot area earlier this week. We are getting close!

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Renoryn » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:45 am

Big Red, after reading your thoughts about other local wooded courses on the Suwanee Creek thread: "I would say East Roswell is just as bad and every course at the IDGC and the hippodrome is probably worse." maybe you won't be too pleased with LMP. 17 out of 18 holes at LMP are in the woods. We took cues from our favorite wooded holes at ERP, Redan and USDGC, and used the same gap spacings, fairway widths and hole distances in the design for LMP. We tried to create unique holes with multiple pin locations that will keep the challenge fresh for the daily locals. We think it will be an easy course to play with a Roc/ Putter, play smart, and shoot around par. It will be much more challenging to shoot in the 40's, but as players find the birdie lines, low scores will be posted.

-Ryan
Last edited by Renoryn on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Renoryn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:34 pm

Very happy to announce that the grand opening tournament for Little Mulberry DGC will be on Tuesday, July 15. There will be a ceremony at 4:pm and the tourney will start at 4:30. Disc Stalker will be directing the tournament. Sign ups will open at 9:30am on 6/20/14. The field will be limited to 72 players. Follow this link for sign ups.

http://www.discstalker.com/products.php ... Tournament

We are so, so excited for the course to FINALLY be open to the public and get put to use. We started designing the course in June 2012, then started construction in May 2013. We have poured ourselves physically and mentally into this place and we're looking forward to seeing what you guys think. I am planning to have some commemorative grand opening discs for sale. More details to come on that soon. Also, more details on pin locations and rotations to come soon as well.

-Ryan
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Renoryn » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Some info for the grand opening tournament, as well as other general course info:

There were many discussions on what to call the annual sanctioned tournament out at LMP. Little Mulberry Mystic? No... Mulberry Madness? No, already taken.... Then one day, while talking with Sean from Jacobs Inc., he said, "you should call the course 'The Ham and the Hog", HOG it out on the front 9, then step out in the field on hole #10 and HAM it up! After further thought, we concluded this was pretty brilliant. It was unique, had local geographical reference (HAMilton Mill/ HOG Mountain Rd.), and it just seemed fitting of the property for some reason.

So running with the swine theme, we have come up with three basic combinations of basket locations. The "Bacon" layout will be the easiest, the "Pork Chop" layout will be the opposite of the Bacon, and slightly harder, then the "Fatback" layout will be everything long, Par 60. For the grand opening tourney, it will be the "Bacon" layout. This makes the most sense with the baskets in their most visible and easiest location, since everyone is playing the course blind. For those of you that really want to study the signage to get prepared, here ya go...

Bacon Layout- Easiest
Par59
1A, 2B, 3B, 4B, 5A, 6A, 7B, 8B, 9B, 10A, 11B, 12B, 13A, 14B, 15A, 16A, 17B, 18B

Pork Chop Layout- A little harder
Par 59
1B, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5B, 6C, 7A, 8A, 9A, 10B, 11C, 12A, 13B, 14A, 15B, 16B, 17A, 18A

Fatback Layout- Everything long, most difficult locations.
Par 60
1B, 2B, 3A, 4B, 5C, 6B, 7A, 8A, 9B, 10C, 11A, 12A, 13A, 14A, 15A, 16B, 17B, 18B

Also some info on the designed difficulty for the course: When PED met with the GDGO before the design process started, it was determined that Gwinnett needed a true advanced level course. (the target being a 950 rated player) Lenora, Alexander and now Suwanee Creek are great for the rec/intermediate and intermediate/advanced players, but do they really challenge the 950+ rated players in the county? Next, it was determined that the short tees at LMP should not be designed for the Rec player since Lenora and Alexander both have solid Rec pads. The short tees at LMP have been designed for the Intermediate player in mind (900 rated). So there are no true Rec tees...sorry. This course is purposed for the more advanced disc golf user group in the county. If you play LMP and your game isn't quite there, go back out to Alexander or Lenora and polish your skills, then come back for another shot at the Ham and the Hog!
Renoryn
Barney

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:43 pm

If its the HAM and the HOG? Who is bringing the BBQ???

Like the pork/geography correlation!
Would suggest other cuts such as Tenderloin (easy), Hamhock (harder) Hambone (Hardest) in your rating system?!?

My vote: Tenderloin (E) Fatback(h) Hambone (H)

Looking into copyright infringement for use of CHOP in reference to disc golf
"Fearlessly the Idiot faced the crowd, Smiling"
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby Bootsie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Last edited by Bootsie on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby sonicyouth » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:44 pm

Bootsie speaks the truth....Moonies and Jacks are good bbq...You can also get burnt ends at Praise the Lard BBQ in Sugar Hill/Buford. LMP is 20 minutes for me. Super stoked to play this course!!!
sonicyouth
Barney

Postby campbeck » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Will the heneral public be able to play on the day after the tournament? :?

CHAP Campbeck
campbeck
Barney

Postby keith johnson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:48 pm

campbeck wrote:Will the heneral public be able to play on the day after the tournament? :?

CHAP Campbeck

Why wouldn't you be able to?

I'm pretty sure that they didn't spend all that money to build the course to run 1 Event on opening day, and then pull the baskets and bulldoze the course the next day. :mrgreen:
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby Chrisgeoguy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:10 pm

Any openings available for next week?
Chrisgeoguy
Barney

Postby Big Red » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:05 pm

I would agree that one has the right to call Lenora and Alexander beginner courses as soon as the one making the statement is able to shoot ten under every single time they play the courses. Having provided this statement as a litmus test I wonder how many people out there can now honestly make that assertion. Both Lenora and Alexander provide a true test of skill and consistency with a very limited element of luck involved. Would you say that Little Mulberry Park also provides this?
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Renoryn » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:14 am

That is certainly a loaded questions. With knowing your stance on wooded courses in general Big Red, I will answer cautiously...

Lenora and Alex were never referred to as beginner courses. They are both fine courses. Lenora is mostly open, lacking many obstacles. Alexander is a nice mix of open and wooded holes. I think Alex is a great balance for players who enjoy throwing hard in open fields and controlling their discs on more technical lines in the woods. Both courses would be challenging to shoot a consistent -10.

Comparing a mostly wooded course to a course like Lenora is apples to oranges. It is a completely different game. As I knew before we took this project, wooded courses are polarizing. I have met many people over the years that played ERP once and have never gone back. It is a matter of preference and players on both sides would love to tell you why their preference is the "right" one. There are also players who love ERP. They enjoy the challenge of controlling many different discs on many different shaped lines for 18 holes. A open course like Lenora simply does not present the same types of challenges that any wooded course does.

So does that make either side of the argument right or wrong? I say no. I think it is great that some players like open courses and some like wooded courses. Who am I to judge someone else's opinion of what they prefer?

Next is the idea of luck. Playing any wooded course blind, you would need a certain amount of luck to shoot -10. Once you play the same course a few times, I would argue that the luck factor fades away and is replaced by either skill or a lack of skill. If you know a tree is around the corner and you still hit it, then it is lack of skill. If you have played the course dozens of times, you know where all of the obstacles are. If you can consistently control your disc and find all of the lines, then you have proved your skill on the course. Some of the top rated local players seem to be shooting around -10 consistently at Little Mulberry.

The ultimate failure for this course would have been if it was too easy; if we cut down too much. You can always remove a tree but you cannot always put one back. Some select trees have been removed since opening and I'm sure a few more will come out with due process.

Response to the course has been positive for the large majority. I have read unsolicited feed back to the likes of "addicted to this place" and "this course has my heart." There has been some negative feedback, but as previously mentioned, that was expected.... Hopefully you can find a place in your heart for wooded courses Big Red.
Renoryn
Barney

Return to Gwinnett Disc Golf Organization (GDGO)