Non GSSS posts from Lake Russell thread

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Non GSSS posts from Lake Russell thread

Postby Funky Bobby J » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:27 pm

What I do not really understand is why the heck for this one event where the demand is so high and the fact that 90% of the people are spending the night - why we are not doing 90 players? I totally agree that 5-somes blow most of the time, but this event is different than the rest. With only three rounds, we will all get out plenty early on Sunday and nobody has a long haul on Saturday. It just does not make any sense to me at all. The woods at Lake Russell blow and are not tournament-worthy. There are so many that look forward to this disc golf event, it's a shame so many will get shut out. It's so much more than the tournament, but I sure as hell wouldn't drive out there to play 36 in the woods. So many folks made plans a year ago with cabins, arrangements, and such for this event - only to get shut out because they were not at their computer at midnight on July 4th. I wish that you'd reconsider, but I know that your mind is set...it's really a shame.
Living in the United States where the hottest European import is Plutocracy...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Re: GSSS #6 at Lake Russell Sept 12- 13th, 2009

Postby keith johnson » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:48 pm

The Lake Russell Event has NEVER had more than 72 Players Except for 1 (ONE) Year, including years 1-9 which was before I started running it.
Last year did NOT have 72 players even as a GSSS Event.

You can read all of this same info on the Lake Russell GSSS thread from '08 which had all the same questioning of why, as I will NOT go into again this year. When anyone can show me anything in those stats that is untrue, I will listen - until then black and white numbers from the old Lake Russell Tournament directors for me will ALWAYS trump the wishful dreams of those who remember stuff that is not or ever was real, except in thier minds.
There are 108 potential spots available for disc golf players that weekend.

If you miss signing up for the GSSS #6, I would get in on the Woods Event - Last year 21 player spots turned over in the last 12 days before the Event which is why there were no players for the Woods Event last year and why there was not 72 players for the GSSS Event.

Those who made plans a year ago, will be ready at midnight, and the others can take their chances. I WILL NOT have 5 somes at any Event I am the TD of, and you and others are welcome to not sign up if you only like playing in 5 somes.

Keith
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby Funky Bobby J » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 am

Supply and demand - when events sell out in hours, it means demand is higher. It's not real complicated. There are more players than 3 years ago - plus the fact word is out that you run a high-quality event. Something to think about Keith - that's all. I wholly accept the fact that I may be way off base and that with the economy down, people will uncommit as you suggest. The logic is just not there if more people want to play.
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:20 am

I totally get supply and demand, and I appreciate everyone WANTING to play the GSSS Events, but 5 Somes Suck, can only be used in DST without 7AM START times, and will kill off the Series in my opinion, as those changes are NOT warranted by the demand in MY opinion. The other supply and demand option that I won't do either is to price the Event higher as that would be just as bad in my opinion, as even though it would probably still sell out, but at what cost to the golfers who are just getting involved in the sport, and can't afford to pay 50 dollars for a REC Entry for a C-tier(paying at B-Tier levels) Event.

Next year when I run the A-Tier in SEPT - I will have the space for 200+ players, and will be able to have space for anyone and everyone who wants to play. But for this year, and for the other 5 Events in 2010 (including the 12th Annual Lake Russell GSSS Event) there will be 72 players MAX.

I think your son, myself and several others were victims of the 5 some playing two 3 hour rounds this past Saturday.

I can't say it enough - 5 Somes Suck and I will not run them EVER.

Thanks for your constuctive comments and concerns - I hope you can also understand it from the TD's (who also plays 35+ Events a year) point of view.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby Redan Randy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:17 pm

If you would have capped the event at 90 last year, it would have sold out. Then come game day, the usual two or three won't show and it would end up being 87-88 players. But you capped it at 72, it sold out immediately and the usual few no shows made it less than 72. And remember, 5-somes suck in your opinion, not mine and a lot of other players. The woods holes suck, in your opinion, not mine and many others. So just do it your way! :wink:
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Redan Randy wrote: So just do it your way! :wink:

Thanks for your vote!
keith johnson

Postby Redan Randy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:08 pm

keith johnson wrote:
Redan Randy wrote: So just do it your way! :wink:

Thanks for your vote!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZhys7Dg8YM&feature=related
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Big Red » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:37 am

Wow, this tournament in my opinion is hitting all of the illogical obsessions in disc golf: it is a C tier with only foursomes that is three rounds with a final nine. Absolutely none of this makes any sense to me at all what-so-ever. Hopefully the game will grow up one day. You know back in the old days most tournaments were B tiers that had four rounds with fivesomes and believe it or not they did work quite well. Thanks for all your hard work Keith but I don't think we will ever agree on these issues.
Last edited by Big Red on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've got more game than a busted Atari.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:05 am

That' s OK Aaron, I don't agree with alot of people on alot of things, but I stick to what I say I'm going to do as a TD - which in my opinion means more. It's the same as last years Event was done.

I guess next year's A-tier that will be 3 days having 1 round each day with tee times will really throw you since you don't tour the country and play in Events that have them where there are enjoyed - because you can actually spend time doing other things besides playing Disc Golf in the cities you visit.

We can agree to disagree on Lake Russell and the GSSS and I will still talk to you if you want. :mrgreen:
keith johnson

Postby Big Red » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:04 am

keith johnson wrote:That' s OK Aaron, I don't agree with alot of people on alot of things, but I stick to what I say I'm going to do as a TD - which in my opinion means more. It's the same as last years Event was done.

I guess next year's A-tier that will be 3 days having 1 round each day with tee times will really throw you since you don't tour the country and play in Events that have them where there are enjoyed - because you can actually spend time doing other things besides playing Disc Golf in the cities you visit.

We can agree to disagree on Lake Russell and the GSSS and I will still talk to you if you want. :mrgreen:

I agree staying with what you said you were going to do is very important and rare in this game. The 3 day thing doesn't throw me off at all as I am quite aware of it as most national tours are ran this way. Do I think it's ridiculous, yes. I don't care what the format is if you don't get four rounds in as far as I'm concerned it's an exhibition and not a tournament. I see your point about getting to do other things and I would venture to say that you won't find many people who like to travel more than I do; however, when I travel to a city to play disc golf I go there to play disc golf. If I find time for something else, great but that is not my point for going. I would travel far more than I do but running an upstart business tends to leave one short on time and funding. I don't know what you do for a living but you must be fortunate. I have no idea what you mean by "I will still talk to you if you want." As far as I know we have always been very friendly with each other. My comments are honest but they are not meant to be taken personally. Based on some of the comments you make on here and things people say to you I didn't feel you would take this one personally. I'm sorry as it appears you did. Oh, and by the way I am planning on being up at midnight to sign up for this event and I am looking quite forward to it.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:21 am

It WAS a joke, which is why I put the smiley face after it.

Some people don't take my jokes as jokes and end up not talking to me or being very different after what they perceive as my meaness or not agreeing with them.

To me, except for Event Info, this board is a playground of fun and information and I love to pick on certain people and have fun with lots of people as well as take all their good natured ribbing and even if they "really mean it"
(like Chad :mrgreen: ) I still have fun with everyone and will still be friendly.

I look forward to your Entry and if you play well enough you will only be 9 holes short of 4 rounds of golf, and will be happy to go swimming in the Lake when awards are over as I was last year, and still be able to get home before dark.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby mr.disc » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:13 pm

you two can swim together .... :shock:
"Feared by deer, Adored by women"
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby Wookie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:59 pm

I don't care what the format is if you don't get four rounds in as far as I'm concerned it's an exhibition and not a tournament.

That's one of the weirdest things I have ever read on this board. :roll: A tournament could be 15 rounds if you wanted or just 1, it really doesn't matter as long as you are competing against other players. Why do you continue to compare our sport to any other? Why can't we do things the way we want to do them? What happens when one round gets eliminated due to weather? Should you just cancel the whole thing and give everyone their money back?
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby Big Red » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:45 pm

Wookie wrote:
I don't care what the format is if you don't get four rounds in as far as I'm concerned it's an exhibition and not a tournament.

That's one of the weirdest things I have ever read on this board. :roll: A tournament could be 15 rounds if you wanted or just 1, it really doesn't matter as long as you are competing against other players. Why do you continue to compare our sport to any other? Why can't we do things the way we want to do them? What happens when one round gets eliminated due to weather? Should you just cancel the whole thing and give everyone their money back?

It is obvious that you do not come from a golf or competitive back ground or you would know the answer to this question. Golf is the greatest game in the world and it just so happens that disc golf at its roots is largely based on the canonical tenets of golf; hence the reason I "compare our sport to any other." Simply put one cannot have a complete tournament experience in less than four rounds. Over the course of four or more rounds the lead often will change multiple times, there will be hot rounds and bad rounds, emotional fluxes etcetera. Basically, wookie, the crux of the situation is that the more rounds you have the better you have to be to win. This is the reason that Ken Climo has 12 world championships. Over that many rounds he has consistently proven himself to be the best for the last nineteen years. Anyone can get hot for two or three rounds and get an undeserved win but that same player would likely lose with four rounds or more. It is always unfortunate if you lose a round due to weather as the winner basically has an asterisk by his name. Even players on the PGA tour are not proud of weather shortened wins. That’s the reason the PGA tour goes to all lengths to make sure that four rounds are played as evidenced by this year’s US Open. I see by your inflection that you have disdain for disc golf being compared to any other game. I think there is no need to fear as disc golf continues to largely blaze its own path while simultaneously retarding its growth. Maybe after a few more years the game will mature further to the point where "we" can get rid of some of this dogmatic silliness and the game will finally obtain some respect. Until then “we” can continue to be different I suppose.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Wookie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:24 pm

It is obvious that you do not come from a golf or competitive back ground or you would know the answer to this question.

Obviously we have very different opinions and yes I have played all sports and been in many different levels of competition over my lifetime. Golf might be the greatest game in the world to you but I know many people who play different sports and feel very differently about that. It seems Soccer is a pretty big sport the world over. :roll:

Of course you have a better chance at winning the more rounds you play. That is a pretty smart observation right there, and is true in anything. The more times you try something the more chances you have at getting it right. That still does not define a tournament.

Here is a definition of a tournament that I found on-line:

1: a series of games or contests that make up a single unit of competition (as on a professional golf tour), the championship play-offs of a league or conference, or an invitational event

Thus, how many rounds does it take to make a series, as long as it's a single unit of competition? I don't have any disdain for Disc Golf being compared to anything but disc golf. It's a new sport and the rules can and will evolve. Every sport that has come along has had growing pains and adjusted accordingly. I am sure that golf hasn't always played 4 rounds at every tournament but I cannot prove that at this moment. I am tired of all the bitching about "this isn't what they do in golf", or "this isn't what they do in other sports", or "Pro's/Am's don't get treated the same", blah, blah, blah, and I am tired of reading all the bitching about all the hard work the TD's around the area are putting in and then getting slammed when things change or it's different than what you or anyone else wants.

Basically if you don't like what someone is doing, don't show up, or better yet, go run your own event and see how hard it really is. (and by "you" I mean everyone who reads this message board) Keith has done a tremendous amount of work over the last few years and folks continue to bitch about the dumbest things ever. If you want to play his events sign up when you are supposed to and play, if not, shut up and do something else, there are lots of new players who seem to be wanting to play. :D

Agree to disagree, I reckon...
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby gvan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:21 pm

Big Red wrote: Golf is the greatest game in the world...

Says someone obviously unfamiliar with curling.

Shuffleboard, sweeping and ice. Need I say more?
uǝʞuɐɹʌ uɐʌ ʇıɹɹǝƃ
gvan

Postby SKELETOR » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:59 pm

Keith, you da man. You are the only person running 6 tourneys a year and I disagree with you about Elberton but respect that you dont give in. (how about winners last year get a spot automatically) :D When I started playing all there were was mostly B-tiers when there were 13 courses. Now with alot more courses there are still about the same number of people running tourneys. This is about to cause some problems but, GA disc golfers want more for less and give the TD's a good bit of problems for minor things. This is why there are less TD's running tourneys in Ga than other states. What would everyone do if Keith did not run the GSSS. 6 less tourneys and me personally would not be going to all the different courses. Next year I will do the early sign up to make sure I get in all the GSSS tourneys. Thanks Keith, even if I give you cow patties I enjoy the GSSS that I have played. :mrgreen: ( now how about that spot?)
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan
SKELETOR
DX Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm old and can't read small print. :mrgreen:

It looked like something about winners not being allowed to play the Events next year or something like that, but that to me would be too punitive - I'll just give them the same opportunity to signup as everyone else. :shock: :lol:
keith johnson

Postby Redan Randy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks Brian! I am too old to read the small print as well, i appreciate the tip. So many of these knuckleheads like to print the small writing that i can't read. Now i can, bitches!
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Brian Lang » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:29 pm

Redan Randy wrote:Thanks Brian! I am too old to read the small print as well, i appreciate the tip. So many of these knuckleheads like to print the small writing that i can't read. Now i can, bitches!

Firefox (CTRL + + ) allows you to see the small print.
PDGA # 36585
ADGO # 240
Brian Lang
DX Plastic

Postby Jay » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:32 pm

gvan wrote:

nice!
Jay

....and on the eighth day, God created the U.S. Marines!
Jay
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:49 pm

gvan wrote:

Bridge!!!
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby Big Red » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:25 am

Wookie wrote:
Golf might be the greatest game in the world to you but I know many people who play different sports and feel very differently about that. It seems Soccer is a pretty big sport the world over. :roll:

I believe soccer is a team sport. Not sure how that compares.

Wookie wrote:Thus, how many rounds does it take to make a series, as long as it's a single unit of competition?

Four

I agree to end the conversation.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 am

keith johnson wrote:That' s OK Aaron, I don't agree with alot of people on alot of things, but I stick to what I say I'm going to do as a TD - which in my opinion means more. It's the same as last years Event was done.

So as our only choice for state coordinator, how do you feel about the state running 2 A-tiers on back to back weekends one hour apart from each other in 2010? As the traditional weekend for the Augusta Classic A Tier is the following weekend..........I am not stating that you are doing this as no dates have been posted, i am only asking the question.....
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:26 am

Ridesbrd wrote:
So as our only choice for state coordinator, how do you feel about the state running 2 A-tiers on back to back weekends one hour apart from each other in 2010? As the traditional weekend for the Augusta Classic A Tier is the following weekend..........I am not stating that you are doing this as no dates have been posted, i am only asking the question.....

Seeing that the schedule isn't even worked on until October, I can only hope that everything works out well for all involved - I personally see nothing wrong with back to back A-Tiers as anything that gets touring players to the state on their way to the USDGC can't be all bad. I play in back to back to back A-tiers this year in October, all over the country, so I see it as a bonus to play in them!

By the way what does this have to do with Lake Russell, or the state coordinator?

We all know how you feel about me and if you wish you can always write yourself or someone else in the box if you aren't happy with people planning big Events in advance.
You'd rather I wait until a week before to plan so it can agree with what you want to do? :wink:

Also don't take it personally, but I'm going to split all NON Event posts off into their own thread later as I did last year to keep this stickied thread about Lake Russell's GSSS Event.

Keith
keith johnson

Re: Non GSSS posts from Lake Russell thread

Postby keith johnson » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:45 am

There are back to back Events this year in both cities and they will both fill anyways - The Augusta Classic A-tier and Primo Plastic B-Tier.

Every week in GA just about has an Event on it (Sanctioned or not )and sometimes as it has already happened at least 4 time so far this year - 2 Events on the same weekend, 1 SAT and 1 SUN.

More Golf is a good thing as I see it, it means more courses and more players which in turn eventually helps the cycle keep growing including them becoming Event players and PDGA Members.

If you disagree with this I'd like to hear your opinions on why.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby jonp » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:12 am

Big Red wrote:
Wookie wrote:Thus, how many rounds does it take to make a series, as long as it's a single unit of competition?

Four

Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.
Hur man än vänder sig är alltid ändan bak
jonp
Site Admin

Postby grease » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:14 am

....and if Keith weighs more than a duck, then......
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Ridesbrd » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:24 am

keith johnson wrote:
Ridesbrd wrote:

Seeing that the schedule isn't even worked on until October, I can only hope that everything works out well for all involved - I personally see nothing wrong with back to back A-Tiers as anything that gets touring players to the state on their way to the USDGC can't be all bad. I play in back to back to back A-tiers this year in October, all over the country, so I see it as a bonus to play in them!

By the way what does this have to do with Lake Russell, or the state coordinator?

We all know how you feel about me and if you wish you can always write yourself or someone else in the box if you aren't happy with people planning big Events in advance.
You'd rather I wait until a week before to plan so it can agree with what you want to do? :wink:

Also don't take it personally, but I'm going to split all NON Event posts off into their own thread later as I did last year to keep this stickied thread about Lake Russell's GSSS Event.

Keith

Umm this doesnt have to do with Lake Russell this year, but this is the place you have been stroking your ego about a 215 person 3 day A Tier next year so it seemed fitting to respond.

Second, state coordinators help mitigate the schedule for the state each year so i feel it is a very fitting question on that topic.

Third, your mystical belief about how i feel about you is astounding, i respect what you do for disc golf on a daily basis but you need to learn to take negative feedback as well as the positives. Please learn to not spin mine and others words around, stating that they dislike you because one doesn't agree with your archaic ways.
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby mr.disc » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:52 am

Slam.
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:03 pm

So the part about OUR ONLY CHOICE FOR STATE COORDINATOR running 2 A-tiers was an honest question - sorry I missed the lack of irony there - My bad.

Not stroking my ego, I was responding to a post by Aaron about Lake Russell this year, where I also expoused that he probably wouldn't like next year either then.

Thanks to answering the questions though - I think you answered it, didn't you?
Maybe not - as your posts are so confusing sometimes rambling off topic like this one so I wasn't sure.

By the way, my response as State coordinator did say that"Seeing that the schedule isn't even worked on until October, I can only hope that everything works out well for all involved - I personally see nothing wrong with back to back A-Tiers as anything that gets touring players to the state on their way to the USDGC can't be all bad." which sounds pretty cooperative to me.

You seemed to have missed this post in your reply - I would honestly like to know your thoughts.
There are back to back Events this year in both cities and they will both fill anyways - The Augusta Classic A-tier and Primo Plastic B-Tier.

Every week in GA just about has an Event on it (Sanctioned or not )and sometimes as it has already happened at least 4 time so far this year - 2 Events on the same weekend, 1 SAT and 1 SUN.

More Golf is a good thing as I see it, it means more courses and more players which in turn eventually helps the cycle keep growing including them becoming Event players and PDGA Members.

If you disagree with this I'd like to hear your opinions on why.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby Redan Randy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:45 pm

grease wrote:....and if Keith weighs more than a duck, then......
HE'S A CAVE WITCH!!!
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:17 pm

:|

Strength is irrelevant. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours. (Borg)
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby richardhead » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:17 pm

djester wrote::| Your culture will adapt to service ours. (Borg)

I just serviced myself and it was everything that I dreamed it would be.
Jay Phillips
<EAT MY SKAT>
richardhead
Star Plastic

Postby Imran » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:29 pm

I have to jump in here and just recognize Keith for his "overall" excellent choice of words and tone on his postings.
Normally, under such rapid fire, I would expect Keith to retalliate with some hard punishment of his own.
I'm sure he's verbally cursing behind the keyboard, but what is rolling off of his fingers seems to be well drafted and detached from his emotions. I too do not agree with everything Keith does. ...actually, I only agree with Keith about 3.5% of the time. ...maybe 3.6%, whatever... The point is that I still appreciate Keith for his willingness, dedication, and hard work on every tourney he runs. ...not only for his tourneys but for also taking on ADGO duties, and State Coordinator duties. Running one quality event is a crap load of work. Running six is just sick. Running six, running the ADGO, and coordinating all of the tourneys in the state... surely you are one serious project manager.

Anyone else wanna step up and take on a fraction of what he takes on? He's still looking for someone to run against for State Coordinator. Maybe some of you critics could step up and entertain us with your brilliant ideas and fine work ethic.

So taking all this into account; If there are some potential mistakes on his format or timing or whatever else that you are dissatisfied with, maybe you could just forgive it. Better yet, maybe you could find it in you to thank him for all the stuff he did get right, and let the other stuff slide.

Thanks for all the thankless stuff you take on Keith. I for one, have not thanked you enough, as I have a glimpse of how exhausting your voluntary duties can be. Keep up the great work!

In other news, Lake Russell can't get here fast enough!
damn..., that is one fine piece of plastic.
Imran

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:58 am

Redan Randy wrote:
grease wrote:....and if Keith weighs more than a duck, then......
HE'S A CAVE WITCH!!!

I heard that he used to turn superb pro Master players into quivering Rec players - then he got an iPod and ditched the Pepsi...
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:09 am

Ridesbrd wrote: (paraphrasing along the lines of Keith is an OK guy :wink: ) how do you feel about the state running 2 A-tiers on back to back weekends one hour apart from each other in 2010? As the traditional weekend for the Augusta Classic A Tier is the following weekend..........I am not stating that you are doing this as no dates have been posted, i am only asking the question.....

After doing some research last evening, and rereading your post - it seems you may be thinking Lake Russell in 2010 is the 3 Day A-tier I'm talking about, since you mention Augusta as the following weekend.
Actually the 3 day A-Tier will be at Central the week before the USDGC to draw touring players into the state on their way to Rock Hill(as GSSS #6)following the "traditional -NOT" (see correct black and white info - not wishful, this is how my memory sees it info below)

I also now see how it applied to the Lake Russell thread in your mind, as a lot of posters on this thread and in the '08 Lake Russell Thread also saw things in their mind versus the black and white historical numbers available for EVERYONE to see on the PDGA Schedule that goes back online to 2001. (which for Lake Russell I posted last year on that thread.)

TRADITIONAL Weekend is claimed for '09 by Jason in his post
Actual dates and weekends below:

Augusta Classic - 2009 A-Tier SEPT 19/20th Weekend #3
Augusta Classic - 2008 A-Tier SEPT 13/14th Weekend #2 - NOT
Augusta Classic - 2007 B-Tier NOV 17/18th - NOT - not even same month :shock:
Augusta Classic - 2006 B-Tier JUNE3/4th - NOT - not even same month, but a preview to Worlds - this one I could let slide
Augusta Classic - 2005 B-Tier SEPT 24/25th Weekend #4 - NOT
Augusta Classic - 2004 B-Tier SEPT 25/26th Weekend #4 - NOT
Augusta Classic - 2003 B-Tier OCT 11/12th - Last time Event is week before USDGC - 7 years before me looking to get date
Augusta Classic - 2002 A-Tier OCT 12/13th - Weekend before USDGC
Augusta Classic - 2001 A-Tier OCT 6/7th - Weekend before USDGC

So to sum it up the LAST time it was a "traditional weekend" for more than 2 years in a row was in 2003, so I hope we can have fruitful discussions later this year when it is time to set the schedule for 2010.
I always thought traditional meant at least close to the same weekend, not just in the same season, because like that I can say all the weekends between FEB and SEPT are traditional GSSS Weekends. :mrgreen:

And as always if you or anyone can show me where the black and white - not in your mind - numbers are posted that are different than what I've listed here I will reasearch them also.

Thanks for your time in reading this,
Keith

PS... Thanks Imran for noticing that I research first or post more responsibly now. I am trying to keep my calmer image on the course since OCT'08 translating to the board also. :mrgreen:
keith johnson

Postby djester » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 am

what happened to the post before Keith's ? It was on there for about a minute, then gone. :?
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby Big Red » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:38 am

djester wrote:what happened to the post before Keith's ? It was on there for about a minute, then gone. :?

What did it say?
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby djester » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:48 am

it was a nice message that thanked Keith for the hard work he's done.

Maybe the poster took it down, but I don't see why...
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby keith johnson » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:50 am

Not me - I was typing my book post. :mrgreen:

Who was it by?
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:54 am

Imran had posted yesterday afternoon and it is still there above Bob's post, is that the one you were thinking of?

Maybe a double post, or maybe someone felt like if there were 2 nice things said with 24 hours that a swarm of locusts could be the next sign of the apocalypse. :mrgreen:
keith johnson

Postby djester » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:45 pm

it wasn't Imran's post.... I'll let in go.... enough has been stirred already
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby Funky Bobby J » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:35 pm

You ain't heard nothing - if I do not get in... When arguments are devoid of logic other than "I say so.", it flies all over me. I and many others have been planning this trip since sitting around the camp fire last year at LRO... In the words of Spock, "the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few - or the one." Even a cold calculating Vulcan can see through it all... :mrgreen:
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Ridesbrd » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:39 pm

keith johnson wrote:
Ridesbrd wrote: (paraphrasing along the lines of Keith is an OK guy :wink: ) how do you feel about the state running 2 A-tiers on back to back weekends one hour apart from each other in 2010? As the traditional weekend for the Augusta Classic A Tier is the following weekend..........I am not stating that you are doing this as no dates have been posted, i am only asking the question.....

After doing some research last evening, and rereading your post - it seems you may be thinking Lake Russell in 2010 is the 3 Day A-tier I'm talking about, since you mention Augusta as the following weekend.
Actually the 3 day A-Tier will be at Central the week before the USDGC to draw touring players into the state on their way to Rock Hill(as GSSS #6)following the "traditional -NOT" (see correct black and white info - not wishful, this is how my memory sees it info below)

I also now see how it applied to the Lake Russell thread in your mind, as a lot of posters on this thread and in the '08 Lake Russell Thread also saw things in their mind versus the black and white historical numbers available for EVERYONE to see on the PDGA Schedule that goes back online to 2001. (which for Lake Russell I posted last year on that thread.)

Augusta Classic - 2006 B-Tier JUNE3/4th - NOT - not even same month, but a preview to Worlds - this one I could let slide
Augusta Classic - 2003 B-Tier OCT 11/12th - Last time Event is week before USDGC - 7 years before me looking to get date

So to sum it up the LAST time it was a "traditional weekend" for more than 2 years in a row was in 2003, so I hope we can have fruitful discussions later this year when it is time to set the schedule for 2010.
I always thought traditional meant at least close to the same weekend, not just in the same season, because like that I can say all the weekends between FEB and SEPT are traditional GSSS Weekends. :mrgreen:

And as always if you or anyone can show me where the black and white - not in your mind - numbers are posted that are different than what I've listed here I will reasearch them also.

Keith

PS... Thanks Imran for noticing that I research first or post more responsibly now. I am trying to keep my calmer image on the course since OCT'08 translating to the board also. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry i mistook some information from BG as being correct, he had told me to put the Augusta Classic that weekend as it was the traditional one. I did no research i will admit it, thanks for putting the time in though keith because i sure am too busy to do stuff like that.

Thank you for clarifying that Lake Russell will not be the A tier next year as i thought that's what you were talking about, plus all A tiers must be approved by the Tour Manager anyways. I'm not sure its possible to run an A Tier or a successful one here the week before the USDGC anymore, with US Doubles and practice/qualifying rounds going on in Rock Hill.
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:16 am

Ridesbrd wrote:
keith johnson wrote:

Keith

I'm sorry i mistook some information from BG as being correct, he had told me to put the Augusta Classic that weekend as it was the traditional one. I did no research i will admit it, thanks for putting the time in though keith because i sure am too busy to do stuff like that.

Thank you for clarifying that Lake Russell will not be the A tier next year as i thought that's what you were talking about, plus all A tiers must be approved by the Tour Manager anyways. I'm not sure its possible to run an A Tier or a successful one here the week before the USDGC anymore, with US Doubles and practice/qualifying rounds going on in Rock Hill.

It took about 10 minutes to search on the PDGA Website and actually longer for me to type it in than to look it up.

I know things have to go through Gentry which is why I posted I wished for ALL of us to be able to work together.

I am willing to take the chance to try and pull it off and if no one shows, it will be a big payday for someone who does show.

Taking chances and doing what others think can't be done is all I have done since moving to this state, so why I should give up trying now? :mrgreen:

Thanks for clarifying your post, it was apprecriated to see where you were coming from and I am sure we can all work together to make this state a GREAT one for Disc Golf.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby Ridesbrd » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Keith

PS... Thanks Imran for noticing that I research first or post more responsibly now. I am trying to keep my calmer image on the course since OCT'08 translating to the board also. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Thank you for clarifying that Lake Russell will not be the A tier next year as i thought that's what you were talking about, plus all A tiers must be approved by the Tour Manager anyways. I'm not sure its possible to run an A Tier or a successful one here the week before the USDGC anymore, with US Doubles and practice/qualifying rounds going on in Rock Hill.[/quote]

It took about 10 minutes to search on the PDGA Website and actually longer for me to type it in than to look it up.

I know things have to go through Gentry which is why I posted I wished for ALL of us to be able to work together.

I am willing to take the chance to try and pull it off and if no one shows, it will be a big payday for someone who does show.

Taking chances and doing what others think can't be done is all I have done since moving to this state, so why I should give up trying now? :mrgreen:

Thanks for clarifying your post, it was apprecriated to see where you were coming from and I am sure we can all work together to make this state a GREAT one for Disc Golf.

Keith[/quote]

I'm not sure its possible to run an A Tier or a successful one here the week before the USDGC anymore, with US Doubles and practice/qualifying rounds going on in Rock Hill.

This statement was based on mileage restrictions on A Tier to A Tier, which the US Doubles in Rock Hill is an A tier the weekend before USDGC. I'm not saying this isn't possible, but just the facts of our mileage restrictions as i read them, im sure something could be worked out though...........

I am also still worried that you, our state coordinator, thinks that having in sep/oct 2010:

Augusta Classic A Tier
ATL A Tier
USDGC
Flying Eye A Tier

All in a 4 week period is a good thing for disc golf in the state, i just dont see us having enough local resources/players to pull that off with success, IMO. :roll:
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:14 pm

In speaking with Harold, he did not mention to me that he or the Charlotte club was looking at that to be an A-tier, and Flying Eye is usually 3rd or 4th week in October (depending on UGA schedule) - 2to3 weeks AFTER USDGC - so no matter what we are talking 3 GA Events spread out over 7 weeks - and yes I think, you, Myself and Doug can pull it off.

This year it will be 3 Events by the 3 of us covering the same time span with the only difference being Lake Russell it not an A-Tier, but has the same buzz generated about it, so a good indicator of if it can be done.
I'm guessing in less than 48 hours it will be sold out, only leaving you and Doug to finish the equation and based on historical precedence with those 2 Events selling regionally - I would guess that it won't be a problem again - hence I'm not worried about it working out next year - 15 months from now.

I'm just laying the groundwork to try and make it successful, and I would appreciate if you would separate what I'm doing as a TD from the State Coordinator position, as A) I may not be State coordinator next year, B) Keith the TD will be asking about the date and C) the schedule is not set for A-tiers with Keith as a Coordinator - as we have no say in Majors, NT or A-Tier scheduling upfront it is mostly just in letting us know about the dates.

I think that it can be done as it has been done before elsewhere, so I'm personally (not as State Coordinator- but as a TD that has confidence in himself and has done it before) not worried about it as the market will decide if nothing else, and as I said - if no one shows, I'll be rich, because I'll be the only player! :mrgreen:

I'm done defending my abilities as a TD and I'll just cut and paste from my various diatribes for any future answers. :mrgreen:

Keith
keith johnson

Postby Ridesbrd » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:58 pm

keith johnson wrote:In speaking with Harold, he did not mention to me that he or the Charlotte club was looking at that to be an A-tier, and Flying Eye is usually 3rd or 4th week in October (depending on UGA schedule) - 2to3 weeks AFTER USDGC - so no matter what we are talking 3 GA Events spread out over 7 weeks - and yes I think, you, Myself and Doug can pull it off.

Keith

I agree Keith, wow am i really saying that, we could pull this off because we are all great TD's in our own ways! I was taking my schedule generalizations from the 2009 events as they stand now, and yes the USDGC is a week later this year than normal. Flying eye is the weekend after but things are changing and evolving with that event as we speak, and yes all three events will be close to each other.

Also looking at the schedule the US Doubles IS an A Tier this year.

Oh yea and i think 48 hours is an overstatement, Lake Russell is selling out 2nite i guarantee it I know 10 augustans that will be on at midnight. Thats 1/3 of the spots right there, i just hope solstices system can handle everyone slamming it at once. I know Beaver State Fling had a problem with this and the server crashed i think, but they had over 100 trying to signup at once.
Ridesbrd
Champion Plastic

Postby luke » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:37 pm

I miss Lake Russell. I will miss Lake Russell this year. I have never missed Lake Russell before. I will not go to it again while it is GSSS. No offense Keith, but it is changing the feel of the tournament to something I don't really care to participate in. No blame on anyone. I just wish GSSS and Lake Russell Open were two different tournaments.
luke
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:42 pm

check
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby mr.disc » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:45 pm

insert ..Then step up and run it Then .... here.
mr.disc
Champion Plastic

Postby luke » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:03 pm

?
luke
Star Plastic

Postby Jay » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:18 pm

I guess he is saying run a Lake Russell tourney in the spring, or move gsss to the spring then run the Sept Lake Russell tourney and put your stamp on it :)
Jay

Jay
Star Plastic

Postby Funky Bobby J » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:20 pm

mr.disc wrote:insert ..Then step up and run it Then .... here.

Check!!! Keith picked it up when everyone else was standing around with their thumb up their keister.

If you don't like really organized events with great payouts, you probably should stay away from the GSSS series. I disagree with some of the decisions KJ makes, but you cannot take away from the fact that he puts on a first-class event - period.
Funky Bobby J
Star Plastic

Postby Jay » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:59 pm

Funky Bobby J wrote:Keith picked it up when everyone else was standing around with their thumb up their keister.

Keith volunteered to TD the 2008 Lake Russell during closing ceremonies at the 2007 Lake Russell Tourney I ran at the last minute due to Lane stepping back, then John Nicewonder pull out of running it..... No keister thumbing 8)
Jay

Jay
Star Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:16 pm

I wonder if the water will be cool and refreshing at the lake?
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby keith johnson » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:39 pm

luke wrote:I miss Lake Russell. I will miss Lake Russell this year. I have never missed Lake Russell before. I will not go to it again while it is GSSS. No offense Keith, but it is changing the feel of the tournament to something I don't really care to participate in. No blame on anyone. I just wish GSSS and Lake Russell Open were two different tournaments.

"Changing the Feel of the tournament" to what - please explain as I had just moved here as the Lake Russell Open was evaporating intop a 45 person Event that no one wanted to run.
I had fallen in LOVE with the place after seeing it for the first time and offered to step up and run it and made it the Finale of the Series - and it still only had 68 people with all the hoopla and hype.
You or anyone else are welcome to run an Event there whenever you like and I will come and play in it if in town - but I would still like to and will have asked the park to still use the traditional weekend after Labor day for the GSSS Events, as it fits in nicely to the scheduling of the Series.

I KNOW I can't or won't please everyone with the GSSS, but my hope is that it has helped to spur lots of golfers to continue to play other organized Events (Sanctioned and not) and with the increase in the number of Events since moving here and with the increase in the number of PDGA players and non sanctioned tournament players (87 at the Alex a couple of weeks ago) shows me that I'm not the only one who sees the growth in the sport. Hell - I'm only running about 7% of all Events and about 14% of all PDGA Events in the state, so there are still LOTS of options available for those that don't care for GSSS Events.

Please let me know your thoughts as I'm wondering what I missed out on before moving to Georgia.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:13 am

Jay wrote:
Funky Bobby J wrote:Keith picked it up when everyone else was standing around with their thumb up their keister.

Keith volunteered to TD the 2008 Lake Russell during closing ceremonies at the 2007 Lake Russell Tourney I ran at the last minute due to Lane stepping back, then John Nicewonder pull out of running it..... No keister thumbing 8)

Correct Jay, and you did a GREAT Job of throwing things together at ther last minute, but that year was my first time ever seeing the place and I had NO HESITATION to offer to step up and run it as I saw the potential that it had to offer as a vacation Event similar to what I have been playing for 10 years in Virginia - a place that people would not want to miss, no matter what - they just had to get EXCITED about going there again.

What I can't understand is how if everyone feels that strongly about "the fantasy years" of the Lake Russel Events, why had no one shown up for 2 years in a row ('06-'07) and the 56 people who were there in '07 were begging for ANYONE to run it in '08?
That's the part I'm missing by not having lived here until 2006.

Maybe Luke or someone can enlighten me, as it seemed to me like Lake Russell was headed in the same direction as the TWO Squirrel Events that have died out completely now.

I didn't want to see that happen and as long as others are willing to play in the Event I will be EXTREMELY HAPPY to keep running it for them.

Keith
keith johnson

Postby keith johnson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:14 am

VERMIN wrote:I wonder if the water will be cool and refreshing at the lake?

You KNOW it will be, and I'm looking forward to swimming in it again!
keith johnson

Postby grease » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:20 am

Lake Russell used to be the other Ant Farm. The vibe was really relaxing and cool. It didn't
matter whether it sold out or not; those that knew about it at the time made the most of
a great weekend. At the time you picked it up, word had gotten around about what a great
and peaceful event it was. If you hadn't picked it up, it would have still snowballed to what it
is now anyway. I think we need more than one event at Lake Russell. The last two events just
seem to be more about scrambling to get in than the original. I think that's what Luke is eluding
to.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby keith johnson » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:34 am

grease wrote:Lake Russell used to be the other Ant Farm. The vibe was really relaxing and cool. It didn't
matter whether it sold out or not; those that knew about it at the time made the most of
a great weekend. At the time you picked it up, word had gotten around about what a great
and peaceful event it was. If you hadn't picked it up, it would have still snowballed to what it
is now anyway. I think we need more than one event at Lake Russell. The last two events just
seem to be more about scrambling to get in than the original. I think that's what Luke is eluding
to.

An Event that nobody was going to anymore does NOT ever snowball into a full field - the 2 Squirrel events had OVER full fields and died in 18 months - it is the WHOLE atmosphere for the tournament - otherwise you are just there playing casual golf which anyone can still do whenever they want for the most part at Lake Russell or on any course.

How is the GSSS Event not great or peaceful? Except for Corder (which had NOTHING to do with the GSSS) and me yelling at the van driving on the course during the final 9 I'd like to hear what was not peaceful, as I heard nothing negative from anyone or the park department about the Event not being peaceful - EXCEPT for Corder.

Either way, what I said in my post an hour ago to Luke still applies - "You or anyone else are welcome to run an Event there whenever you like and I will come and play in it if in town - but I would still like to and will have asked the park to still use the traditional weekend after Labor day for the GSSS Events, as it fits in nicely to the scheduling of the Series."

Keith
keith johnson

Postby 408man » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:03 am

grease wrote:Lake Russell used to be the other Ant Farm. The vibe was really relaxing and cool. It didn't
to.

I started to agree with this, then I stopped. Like the ant farm events, LR was a fun time, but it had nothing to do with the tournament itself, it was all about what happened after the rounds. The real fun was had at the campsites, cabins and lake. Who can forget the cheesecake??? God bless you Chop. Both events had poor payouts for all divisions and there was nothing special about how they were run, but after the rounds people had a blast.
There is no way that LR would have snowballed into what it is now because no one would have stepped up to run the event. Im sure people would say how they would have, but in reality they wouldnt. Keith is right, they would have died out like the SS events did, and probably how Hotlanta will if people keep bitching they way they have been. With that said, Daniel, my hat is off to you again for stepping up and doing what you did. I know it isnt easy, and I really hope you got the thanks that you deserve.

TLDR:
In this case, it isnt the tournament director, and Chop should make more cheesecake.
Team Gold Bond
-The fastest growing team in Disc Golf-
Future Husband of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
408man
DX Plastic

Postby luke » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:52 am

I'd love a spring tournament out there...but it wouldn't be run by me. I can only look after my home course, which is quite a handful.

Keith, not here to enlighten you or anyone else. The reality for me that I don't enjoy Lake Russell like I used to is my reality and no one else's. You run a fine tournament. Simply put, I just wished Lake Russell was not part of a series.

Oh yeah, sorry I forgot Jay as the Lake Russell TD. Awesome job, and "the ob line is ob".
luke
Star Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:25 pm

All I know is I swim better naked at the lake. I can steer better with my rudder but I have to live with the fear of Plotky's amazon weiner fish story....Thanks for the nightmares Plotky.
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby jonp » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:49 pm

VERMIN wrote:All I know is I swim better naked at the lake. I can steer better with my rudder but I have to live with the fear of Plotky's amazon weiner fish story....Thanks for the nightmares Plotky.

weird. hadn't thought about that in a long time, then saw it mentioned elsewhere yesterday. guess that means one more is coming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candiru
those who want the nightmares, see Reference 11
Hur man än vänder sig är alltid ändan bak
jonp
Site Admin

Postby Redan Randy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:24 pm

to.
Nobody worried about if they got in or not, whether there was 102 players or 58. That's the big difference.
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:30 pm

VERMIN wrote:All I know is I swim better naked at the lake. I can steer better with my rudder but I have to live with the fear of Plotky's amazon weiner fish story....Thanks for the nightmares Plotky.
Speaking of amazon weiners, Plotky better not swim naked, he's still got a 10 lb. catfish stuck in his from last year! Thanks for telling me about that Vern! :wink:
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Lofstrand » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:52 pm

I got into the tournament and didn't expect to. Anyone got some cabin room for a quiet white guy? Will play cards, drink until drunk, share expenses, etc.
PDGA#29514
Lofstrand
Pro Plastic

Postby Woodrow » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:15 am

Redan Randy wrote:Nobody worried about if they got in or not, whether there was 102 players or 58. That's the big difference.
Yeah, ya' showed up at 3am Sat. morning and slept in a tent on the back of your truck in the parking lock so you could wake up and pay your entry fee (and get by without paying the camping fee because the Ranger's "..just speechless.") But that was before it was all serious and stuff.
Woodrow

Postby keith johnson » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:30 am

Redan Randy wrote:
to.
Nobody worried about if they got in or not, whether there was 102 players or 58. That's the big difference.

So it seems like you and Greg should run a spring event then with Greg vending, that way there would be no need for worrying about numbers, and unless it against an Event in Virginia or Vegas, I'll be there. I love the place!

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm just glad there is still an Event at the Lake - How much longer before there are NO sanctioned Events at REEdan - it's already down to 1 day a year now. :shock: But maybe that is what all the long timers and old timers are talking about, let me beat 20 people in a competitive Event for a quart of oil, or an oil painting.

I don't know, but for all the years I've played all around the Country at all different sanctioned and unsanctioned Events - this is still the only state where it seems not many of the "old timers" wants to move the sport FORWARD, and instead lives in the fantasy bubble world of what they thought was reality when in reality the black and white numbers prove otherwise. Old established Events would either fade away or disappear completely without someone stepping up to run it (see Hotlanta), but on the plus side - lots of new TD's and courses are establishing Events which are filling over 3/4 of the weekends of the year with an Event somewhere in the state - whereas 3 years ago there were only 15 weeks of the year with any Events on them in the state - which helps to prove in black and white numbers that the "new timers" are there in both numbers and enthusiasm.

Maybe it's just the economy combined with other factors - but in the 3&1/2 years I have been here I have seen a ton of new courses, plus expansions and upgrades to other courses and lots of new disc golfers playing at these courses with several counties and clubs in those counties busting their butts to make the sport grow - while most of the "old timers" have STOPPED playing doubles and Events. Is it because of the growth? Is it because of the overwhelming amount of "barneys" playing that upsets them? What is actually keeping most of the "old timers" away from competitive play in the past 18 months?

I think once the REAL answers to these questions are known - the faster the growth in this state can be accomplished for ALL golfers - because in my opinion from what I have seen, it has become an issue of just disappearing from the scene completely - which doesn't benefit the growth that could be occuring, as the "old timers" are the ones with the knowledge to help the newer players learn about the history and beginnings of the sport here in the state and who could inspire newer players to become better - but instead it seems like if you are not one of "them" then you are the enemy, which is sad on so many levels.

That's all for now, any other feedback would be appreciated!
Keith
keith johnson

Postby grease » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:42 am

luke wrote:Keith, not here to enlighten you or anyone else. The reality for me that I don't enjoy Lake Russell like I used to is my reality and no one else's. You run a fine tournament.

I believe this sums it up and can be best translated as "if you don't understand, it would be hard to explain."

keith johnson wrote:So it seems like you and Greg should run a spring event then with Greg vending, that way there would be no need for worrying about numbers, and unless it against an Event in Virginia or Vegas, I'll be there. I love the place!

What's the big deal about numbers? If the PPIC doesn' sell out, I will still do my best to make whoever signs up have a good experience. I'm sure the small field at Hotlanta had a great time. Big numbers and sellouts do not always equate to a good tournament experience. Not knocking your series at all as it is well run and draws huge numbers, but small numbers can be just as good sometimes. Remember how great the idea of Wal-Mart seemed at first? This is all the feedback I will provide as it gets torn down and picked apart and not really interpreted correctly anyway.
Last edited by grease on Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby keith johnson » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:04 am

grease wrote:
luke wrote:Keith, not here to enlighten you or anyone else. The reality for me that I don't enjoy Lake Russell like I used to is my reality and no one else's. You run a fine tournament.

I believe this sums it up and can be best translated as "if you don't understand, it would be hard to explain."

Ok -that makes sense on some level.

keith johnson wrote:So it seems like you and Greg should run a spring event then with Greg vending, that way there would be no need for worrying about numbers, and unless it against an Event in Virginia or Vegas, I'll be there. I love the place!

What's the big deal about numbers? If the PPIC doesn' sell out, I will still do my best to make whoever signs up have a good experience. I'm sure the small field at Hotlanta had a great time. Big numbers and sellouts do not always equate to a good tournament experience. Not knocking your series at all as it is well run and draws huge numbers, but small numbers can be just as good sometimes. Remember how great the idea of Wal-Mart seemed at first? This is all the feedback I will provide as it gets torn down and picked apart and not really interpretated correctly anyway.

You are misunderstanding what I'm saying about numbers - I'm saying if there are not "ENOUGH" numbers (whatever that number may be) Events vanish or if are"TOO MANY" numbers (as in added players after setting a cap) Events may also vanish - it is the whole experience which dictates if players still play the Event in future years.

Stop taking this as an attack on you or anyone else, as that is NOT my intention.
My intention is to try and understand WHY it is happening and to try and keep it from happening to the Events that are out there now - sort of lets not let history repeat itself type questions.

99% of this information is very helpful from a State Coordinator point of view - as I am trying to see where people are coming from and how did they arrive at what their thinking is now.
Your answer that I'm not going to tell you because it's "my own reason" is not helpful as you would be pretty damn surprised at what I and others could understand if it is explained rationally.
I'm trying to learn and work with everyone here and if people would separate the personal issues with me from the informational side of me, you would be able to understand why I am asking these things.

But I guess it's just easier to say - "Keith ruined it so lets not talk to him anymore", than to actually come up with some thought out or helpful explanations, so that myself and all the others who read this board, but are afraid to post because they get treated like crap for asking questions might actually learn something helpful or useful.

I and others can and have posted joking things in one thread and ask serious things in other threads - and we should be able to have other posters respond in kind to the question on that thread versus having everyone make a blanket assumption that we're just screwing around because that's what we're was doing on another thread.

Thanks anyways for your insight,

Keith
keith johnson

Postby Can't Hit Open Putts » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:29 am

As one who has been to most of the Lake Russell tourneys here is my take on the situation: It has always had the vacation feel to it by being able to just show up and play. Nobody really cared too much about payouts, winning or format, it was just a good time golfing experience. With it being part of the GSSS there is an added element of competition and the restrictions that come with it (time, points etc...) As an old timer, I do miss the days of just driving up early on the morning of a tourney to sign up because it was easy. I don't (with the kids and all) have the luxury of playing as many tourneys as I would like, but it is great now that almost every weekend there is a chance of playing in one. Lake Russell is the best golfing\vacation weekend of the year and I wish everyone could experience it. By setting the cap (5somes SUCK, I know, I agree) and not using the woods holes as part of the tourney, it seems exclusionary, which Lake Russell has never seemed. Not an attack, just my opinion. Please save me Hole # 11 to sponsor for a cheesecake throw-off and keep up the good work Keith.
"Fearlessly the Idiot faced the crowd, Smiling"
Can't Hit Open Putts
Champion Plastic

Postby Big Red » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:40 am

keith johnson wrote:
Redan Randy wrote:
to.

So it seems like you and Greg should run a spring event then with Greg vending, that way there would be no need for worrying about numbers, and unless it against an Event in Virginia or Vegas, I'll be there. I love the place!

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm just glad there is still an Event at the Lake - How much longer before there are NO sanctioned Events at REEdan - it's already down to 1 day a year now. :shock: But maybe that is what all the long timers and old timers are talking about, let me beat 20 people in a competitive Event for a quart of oil, or an oil painting.

I don't know, but for all the years I've played all around the Country at all different sanctioned and unsanctioned Events - this is still the only state where it seems not many of the "old timers" wants to move the sport FORWARD, and instead lives in the fantasy bubble world of what they thought was reality when in reality the black and white numbers prove otherwise. Old established Events would either fade away or disappear completely without someone stepping up to run it (see Hotlanta), but on the plus side - lots of new TD's and courses are establishing Events which are filling over 3/4 of the weekends of the year with an Event somewhere in the state - whereas 3 years ago there were only 15 weeks of the year with any Events on them in the state - which helps to prove in black and white numbers that the "new timers" are there in both numbers and enthusiasm.

Maybe it's just the economy combined with other factors - but in the 3&1/2 years I have been here I have seen a ton of new courses, plus expansions and upgrades to other courses and lots of new disc golfers playing at these courses with several counties and clubs in those counties busting their butts to make the sport grow - while most of the "old timers" have STOPPED playing doubles and Events. Is it because of the growth? Is it because of the overwhelming amount of "barneys" playing that upsets them? What is actually keeping most of the "old timers" away from competitive play in the past 18 months?

I think once the REAL answers to these questions are known - the faster the growth in this state can be accomplished for ALL golfers - because in my opinion from what I have seen, it has become an issue of just disappearing from the scene completely - which doesn't benefit the growth that could be occuring, as the "old timers" are the ones with the knowledge to help the newer players learn about the history and beginnings of the sport here in the state and who could inspire newer players to become better - but instead it seems like if you are not one of "them" then you are the enemy, which is sad on so many levels.

That's all for now, any other feedback would be appreciated!
Keith

I am shocked you say you don't know the answer to this. I am also shocked to hear you say that this didn't apply to the other places you have lived. I have played a good many courses in other states, not many tournaments though except in the southeast, and it seems to be universal to me. As a matter of fact I think it still plagues the whole organization from the top to the bottom. It can be summed for the most part in one asinine phrase: "Whoever has the most fun wins." I still hear this drool spewed at almost every tournament I go to. You can't have real competition if you give any credence to this mindless nonsense. When you have an entire organization that makes most of its rules based on this “thought process” it is effectively a joke. There are a couple of other reasons as well. Most of the old time players were simply "trying to be different" or they just hated popular activities. For these small minded people anything that seems vaguely "mainstream" makes them "fit in." After all if you are part of the “counter-culture” you can’t play sports that make you “fit in.” As disc golf becomes more and more popular it creates more and more angst for them and they disappear. This is great for the growth of the game as all these people ever did was hold it back anyway. The last reason I won't discuss however it is pretty obvious. Keith did you really not understand this? I am confused. I really believe that the number of people working to grow the game is counterbalanced by the ones trying to keep it where it is or even degrade it. That may be tilting some now but not enough. I respect you as one of the good guys who are successfully adding some professionalism and growth to the game.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Redan Randy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:39 pm

I think as far as us "old timers", is just that, we're getting older. In my case, injuries and family have been keeping me from playing as much as i would like. Whapow would be one example of an old timer that has vanished because of the rapid influx of Barneys and basic disapproval of change in the game and his course. But i don't think that is the reason why most old timers are disappearing. Just family, growing old, and for now the economy. As for Lake Russell, i don't bother turning other people, especially newbies, onto this great experience anymore because it has become every man for himself to get in. I know it would be hard for a newbie to get into this tourney. Unless they played the woods holes, a completely different tourney. But, i'm in, so suck it! :lol:
Redan IS God's Country!!
Redan Randy
Star Plastic

Postby Carl Wms » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:08 pm

Mr. Gorbachev....tear down this wall!
Carl Wms
Champion Plastic

Postby Jay » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:26 pm

Lake Russell Rocks no matter who runs the tourney there.....as long as it's no me :) as this is an annual vacation since my first trip to Elberton.

2003 was my first LR Tourney with 99 people.... we had a blast and have not missed one since. It does not matter to me if there are over 100 or only 50 players, it will always be one of the best courses, best times, and with the best amenities available for a disc golf vacation.

I am not a fan of 5somes and try to stay away from them, but at Lake Russell 5somes do not bother me because when the round/tourney is over, our drive is right back to the cabin to continue the vacation....

Since it's a two day tourney, 5somes don't really matter on Saturday because people are staying there. However, making Sunday's final round a 27 hole event you will avoid the 5somes, throw in a 9 hole playoff, and get done in plenty of time for the players to return home....

Oh yeah, Rock -n- Roll disc golf on the Monday after the tournament is a blast as we have the course all to ourselves :)
Jay

Jay
Star Plastic

Postby maximus » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:39 pm

I think that as Disc Golf evolves into a SPORT instead of a GAME, it will cycle around to incorporate both levels of play. There is PRO golf, bowling, baseball, soccer, basketball...., and there is a level of all of those, and every sport, that most of us play on a weekly or monthly basis. The problem right now is that our GAME is growing so fast and the popularity and interest in the game is so overwhelming, the efforts to establish a specific division between the PRO/ADV level and the rest of the players, are not enough.

We have brand new players that are not part of the PDGA playing in B tiers when they have never played a tournament before. People joining the PDGA just so they can play and A tier once? Seasoned and experienced people fighting and whining over staying up until midnight on July 4th to sign up for a C tier that pays more than most B and some A tier events? Not necessarily because of the payout, but because of SO many reasons, there is a wide variety of people attending this event. This is the perfect example of why the GAME of Disc Golf needs more people working on the structure of seperating the SPORT in order to make Disc Golf enjoyable for ALL.

More emphasis should be placed on higher level tournaments and should be understood by the participants of those tournaments, and the casual tournaments should be just that. I know that there is a lot that goes into sanctioning a tournament, but what does it take to just run one unsanctioned and gather a group of 30 people to have fun?
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby grease » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:43 pm

See what I mean about posts getting torn apart, broken down, and misinterpreted? Now it's the old guard v/ new guard.
Where in the hell did that come from? Also, what tournaments have disappeared lately? Where did all this crap come from?
Thanks for chiming in Aaron on a misunderstood post that just meant that Lake Russell has changed. That's all!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Clunck » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm in too!!! :P
That was in, cocker block doesn't count!
Clunck
Star Plastic

Postby Big Red » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:32 pm

grease wrote:See what I mean about posts getting torn apart, broken down, and misinterpreted? Now it's the old guard v/ new guard.
Where in the hell did that come from? Also, what tournaments have disappeared lately? Where did all this crap come from?
Thanks for chiming in Aaron on a misunderstood post that just meant that Lake Russell has changed. That's all!

I am confused by some of your comments as well Greg, perhaps I have misinterpreted them. The initial post that started this seemed like an attack on Keith. My post was based on the question posed by Keith about his perception of the Georgia disc golf scene. I don't think anything has been torn apart or broken down. The tournaments that have disappeared are most notably both of the Squirrel tournaments and the fact the Hotlanta has declined from an A tier (when you ran it) to the lower turn out it had this year. I don't think anyone is blaming anyone for this but these points are true. I think the thread went in this direction based on Keith's responses to what certainly appeared to be a personal attack against him and not because something was twisted out of context. I think he was just noting that he is a driving force in tournament disc golf in Georgia, which he is. There is clearly an old and new guard in disc golf, not only in Georgia but all over the country. We have seen quite a few members of the old guard not playing recently. Go back and look at who played in the fire ant back in 2001? when you won advanced and see how many of those people are playing now. Back ten years ago the junior divisions didn't even really exist and now we have players that qualify for them playing at the highest levels such as Schusterick, McBeth, and Wiggins. I think the comments about the old guard v/ new guard and tournaments that have disappeared are being misunderstood as they mostly referring to the fact that the game is changing. That's all! I'm not sure why you called me out on this but I apologize if I offended you somehow.
Big Red
Champion Plastic

Postby Shoe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:39 pm

If you old guards can't take the heat then stay outta the cooler :!:
Ka like the wind
Shoe
DX Plastic

Postby grease » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:01 pm

If nothing else, Big Red got a break from online video gaming, Keith got to check old stats,
and everyone else had something remotely interesting to read for the day.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby VERMIN » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:32 pm

I am still going and I am still going to have a good time. 8)

VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby grease » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Me too!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby djester » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:42 pm

grease wrote:Me too!

ok....this is not an easy comment to twist and turn into a debate about someone getting bashed :|
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby keith johnson » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:12 pm

Just now seeing what has transpired throughout the day, and having converstaions with others who have been around locally for awhile, I'll say this - I'm not going to worry about it.

Aaron, just as aside - yes I know most of the answers to the questions I asked without asking them, but in MY personal experience since I started playing in 1996 in Florida, and then in Arizona in 2001 as a newcomer to their scene was totally different than when I moved here in 2006.

In Florida, Climo, Watson, the Osgoods, Hosfeld, Monroe, Harrigan, Aldridge, etc. were very helpful and friendly to ANY skill level golfer at the Events they attended. Travelling around the country playing A-tiers and Worlds led me to run Events that the players wanted to play in by trying to use the best of what worked in the others, and NOT use the things that players (including myself) disliked about them. When I moved to Arizona - it was Ginnelly, Homburg, Carle, Big Daddy Shircore,Plummer, Shelton, Garnett, Brandt, David Dollar, etc. that I learned from there. Harold Duvall, Dave Dunipace, Tim Selinske, Chuck Kennedy, Rick Rothstein, Brian Hoeniger, Mark Ellis, Steady Ed, etc. were the ones I learned from around the USA playing large Events.

But when I moved here, only a few people had ever heard of me and I was the "Newbie outcast" that had to prove that everything I had done and accomplished as a TD in Florida and Arizona for 13 straight years was how I always did things, and that I was NOT reinventing the wheel.
Only Brian Graham, Speedy, Michael Burton, Rand and a few others outside of the workplace even knew I was a TD.

It seemed that as an "Outsider" I and lots of other newcomers to the game and this message board in the last few years - got grief for asking questions in person or online, and yes Aaron a good part of the questions, comments and thoughts posted are not mine only but what others are saying to me, that are afraid to post.

I also believe If 1 out of 3 Disc Golfers in the state DID instead of complaining about those that DO, we CAN move forward.

Ask any of the 10 or so people in the last 3 years who played in Events a few times and then said "I can be a TD" how that worked out for them when they actually did it. :?

And then ask yourselves how many of those 10 are STILL doing it. :shock:

You know I can look up the numbers for you if you want. :mrgreen:

Now I'll close with saying this - I'm going to keep striving to make things bigger and better in the state, with the GSSS, the ADGO, and anything else I do in the sport - because I strive to live up to what the PDGA Exceutive Director has always said about me, and because I refuse to sit back and let others do things that I can do myself.

Your "Old School Newbie" tm

Keith
keith johnson

Postby djester » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:51 pm

"Disc golf Obama" 8)

I just don't understand why the Professional Disc Golf Association has so many different divisions for players.
Is anyone going to come up with a different association for the divisions?
Amateur Disc Golf Association?
Recreational Disc Golf Association?
Intermediate Disc Golf Association?

I have no problems with new folks in disc golf....we all were the "barney" at some point. The sport is growing and is going to grow no matter what, as it is starting to catch the attention of kids by schools, church, parents and friends. The sport is growing...... the associations are not.

Nobody likes to rush or stay up late to get into a tournament, but we are being forced to, and it is turning away Pro players when the field is full with Rec. players (no offense Rec players as you are the ones that will someday be Pro's.... unless you end up like me and just play with the Pro's) and the Pro payout is weak from only having 10 Pro's.

Not every tournament is a KJ "Soup-R'-sicks" C-tier with a Pro payout of $500 for first and I think Keith is doing great in making sure to keep the Pro's interested.... great job. It still sucks only having 6-10 Pro's to compete against.

We acccept what you do, and you are not doing anything wrong.... I think it is on a different level and beyond what we can change.... unless the structure is modified to accommodate all divisions.
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby grease » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:07 pm

...HERE COMES THE PICKING APART.....
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Dusty » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Intermediate, which is novice, should be the lowest division in sanctioned events.
Recreational players are playing disc golf for the fun of it which means casual, not in a tournament.
If there is a juniors division, it should be 14 & under.
And, players should be forced to play up when their rating reflects it, without penalty for accepting cash.

See, that was easy. Amend the Constitution!
Dusty Jones
PDGA# 23297
ADGO# 129
Dusty
DX Plastic

Postby kade.erp » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:42 am

I discovered the game of disc golf in Elberton. I love disc golf. I like to bitch. But i dont act like a bitch when discussing heaven. :P
Heaven=Elberton
=The Crucible
=IDGC
=ERP

I still have yet to rediscover Elberton. I have not played LR since my discovery of the sport in '03. You know when you saw those guys carrying those bags on their backs and you were like, "wtf are those guy doing with those bags?" As my friend explained that, "you needed a whole bag of discs to play." I didnt have a bag of discs. I had my buddys knowledge of the game, thats all. We rocked out 2 rounds of 27. We were spent, sunburnt, and ADDICTED! Hell I rented some discs from the shop. We lost a disc in the water. I shot a disc off a tree into the basket in two! We ate, drank, smoked, and played our way through the day! That was disc golf to me then, as it is to me now. I can only imagine the close family you guys once had. Well, for one Im ready for some competition! So sell outs here I come! If I can get in! Thanks Kieth.

p.s. Meet me in heaven. Ill be there. :wink:
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments