Bowling Green AM Championship

Local Disc Golf Tournament Info

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Bowling Green AM Championship

Postby maximus » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Props to Scott Vaughn for a sweet round one that got a mention on the front page of the PDGA website. Lets hope he can hold off the rest of us Intermediate baggers as we try to make up for crappy first rounds.

Also Tokio did pretty well on his course(leader), but got no mention, cause he is REALLY bagging in the lower pool of Intermediates.

If you haven't ever been to Bowling Green, the courses are nice up here, and I see what people are talking about the WIND. We got rain and craploads of casual water too this weekend.

Special Note** Don't make the trip if you want a good payout. This year they added a basket to First prize in each division, but after that, 2nd place out of 180 people is less than $100 and from what I hear, they are giving out pre-determined merch packages?**
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Re: Bowling Green AM Championship

Postby chappy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:52 am

Most local ams don't realize how good they have it here.The payout you described is common everywhere but here.Atl is the only place Ive ever played that does payouts with vouchers for ams.Your entry fee paid for your players pack and nothing more, The payout basically comes from sponsor money.
chappy
DX Plastic

Postby grease » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:26 am

I played Bowling Green years ago and the payout WAS weak. The players pack was a Quad Shock, though.
The payout was pre-determined and a lot of it was stuff that the td had won or was given and didn't
want anymore. How would you like to play well only to be handed a bunch of 10 meter bricks afterward.
That being said, the courses are worth the trip and this IS the biggest am event of the year. It's not always
about payout. Good luck today!
Fart, it's never not funny!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby mrpbody33 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:59 am

The reason to play Bowling Green Amateur Championships is for the points. Almost half my points from last year was from that tourney alone. If you want an invite to Am Worlds then that is the tourney you must hit.
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby atl scott » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Congrats to Tokio for the solid play and winning Intermediate! Congrats to me for being on the lead card every round until the last round where I shot an 848 :shock: rated round. Oh well. Was a great weekend with lots of giveaways and fun times.
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:15 pm

Congratulations Jason, Chris, and Scott. If you didn't shoot well, you at least now
know how fun it is to travel to a major event. I'm sure you had a good time.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby atl scott » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:49 pm

grease wrote:Congratulations Jason, Chris, and Scott and KADE and JARED and LANCE (all represented Atlanta well). If you didn't shoot well, you at least now
atl scott
Pro Plastic

Postby maximus » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:39 pm

Yes, it was a good trip and some NICE courses. The points will be good I guess, if I decide to go to Worlds. Congrats on the win for Tokio, despite the fact that he cant add and some people he played against just cant accept the fact that their disc didn't make it across a lake with a 420 carry into a headwind (although Jasons did, by about 2').

I have to say though, I really hope it was better in years past and they make it better for next year in terms of the preparedness of the TD and rules compliance, as well as just general organization and player programs.

We have it good here on that as well, I can't count the times that the TD of our pool who was also the main TD, missed a call, said he didn't care which way we played a situation, didn't have an answer and asked the first local that he saw, blatently disregarded rules violations, and too many comments like "I know it doesn't say that in the program, but thats how the locals play the OB on that hole". Way too much confusion and lack of organization for what is supposed to be the premier event or "Daytona 500" for AMs as it is described somewhere!?

Hopefully everyone that made the trip enjoyed it as much as I did, (those previously mentioned and Jonathan Ryder also- 7 ATL boys total I believe) but there is nothing like waiting around an extra 3 hours for a final nine and getting a disc (Jesper Lundmark-Striker 167) for last cash at 26th out of 180 people?!

Probably the last big tourney that I travel that far for since it was so poorly run. If anyone has any suggestions for 2 or 3 day tourneys within a few hours of ATL that ARE worth the trip for please suggest these, as I like to take the trips and play new and good courses but would definitely pass on something like this that I consider to be overrated, and just play well in more local tourneys to get my points.

On a side note, Kade, Scott and I had a bag tag challenge on the weekend, and I now have 002, Scott has 003, and I believe Kade retained 007? Is there a record for bag tag challenge fartherest from ATL?
Chris Quarles 34486

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW FAR IT MIGHT GO PAST THE BASKET, IF IT GOES IN.
maximus

Postby grease » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:13 am

atl scott wrote:
grease wrote:Congratulations Jason, Chris, and Scott and KADE and JARED and LANCE (all represented Atlanta well). If you didn't shoot well, you at least now

Sorry, I didn't see that Kade was playing, and I don't think I know Jared and Lance. My suggestion for your next trip
is the Worlds at Kansas City. Their club is very strong and they know how to run an event.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby Wookie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:16 am

I agree with Grease, go to a Worlds event. they are the worth every bit of sweat and travel it takes to get there. Kevin did an awesome job in Tulsa.
Use the "force" only for good, never for evil

PDGA 24474
ADGO 127
Wookie
Champion Plastic

Postby VERMIN » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 am

Wow - too bad that BG didn;t have their stuff together. perhaps the new format had a little to do with it. In the past it was always ran very smoth. The payout is mainly the player pack. beyond that you won;t get much except for a stack of plastic. I have been to a couple of them and always had a good time.

Congrats Tokio!!!!!
Speakin' the vernacular of the peasantry. Poor little kid, I hope she gets home all right....Professor Marvel

Vern Williams - ADGO #120 - PDGA #27359
VERMIN
Star Plastic

Postby kade.erp » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Tokio is the man! Congratz to the BIG winner. After qualifiying for the final nine he teed off in front of a gallery with a low short drive barely making it across a putting green (which played ob). He then proceeded to nail a 70 ft jump putt with 20+ mph winds (sand traps behind the basket ob as well). Let me tell you, the crowd erupted and he put FEAR into the minds of his competitors! He won a discraft chainstar basket, the one w/ the wheel for easy travel AND he won the accuracy contest put on by DGA to win a second basket, Mach Lite!!! Perkerson here we come, I dont think he's played there yet....

Side note, yes the $$ goes to player packs and not the pay out. "It is just too hard to pay 30-40% of the field all at once," said the TD. You all know how we swarm Wes and Greg after payout. Even 30 players can be a little crazy. Just multiply that by 10, it just cant happen.

The courses reminded me a little of taccoa, Lenora, and Central park with ob everywhere.
kade.erp
Pro Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:07 am

I could see how pick and choose payout would be a mess. But, that's where you hook up 3-4
local vendors to take care of it and use the voucher system to differentiate who paid out what.
It's not that hard, Bowling Green should have plenty of vendors, and the payout blemish that they
have had for years will be gone. Ryan Renz and I handled the payout for the 2002 Am worlds solo in
a hot trailer in the middle of summer in Miami. These guys should be able to figure something out. Not
to demean their endeavors, but the biggest complaint I've heard (and experienced) is the payout.
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Postby 408man » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:49 am

grease wrote:Ryan Renz and I handled the payout for the 2002 Am worlds solo in
a hot trailer in the middle of summer in Miami.

First off Grease, I'd like for you to explain to the class how the two of us could possibly "SOLO" anything together.

Second, I would like to make sure that everyone is clear that "handling a payout" is not code for anything. This is not the new "going to McDonalds to talk".

That is all.
Team Gold Bond
-The fastest growing team in Disc Golf-
Future Husband of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
408man
DX Plastic

Postby grease » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:38 am

Well, as you were there, we were abandoned by the other two culprits who had to leave
to attend an emergency high school reunion. You are correct as two people cannot be considered
solo, but since we worked as a close knit team and both managed to give away reserved stash, I
would say we worked as one. BTW, "handling the payout" IS code. Don't make me explain, Ryan!
Greg Campbell
www.primoplastic.com
grease

Return to Disc Golf Tournaments