Course Install Workdays Info

Fulton County - Atlanta, Ga

Moderator: ADGO BOD

Course Install Workdays Info

Postby jritger » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:39 am

Update: As of March 2012, all 19 baskets (18 + practice) are now permanently installed at the course. It's not officially open yet, and some of the holes still need to be cut out of the woods, but I did see some people out playing today.

We should have a loop of holes 1-5 playable soon, and holes 10-18 not far behind. Temporary signage and carpet teepads coming within the next month, shooting for permanent signage and dual concrete teepads by summertime.

Still very much in need of volunteer labor. Check this thread for current info on workdays as we don't have a set schedule due to a full calendar, but we're trying to get out every weekend until this is in. If you can't volunteer on the weekend but want to help, please PM me so I can get you setup -- I can't make it out with you but there is plenty to be done.

Feel free to come out to one/all ... bring cutting tools as we'll be focused on tree/shrub removal for 4 of the wooded holes. Tools will be provided if you don't have them.

Know that each hour of volunteered labor is tracked and counts for $20 to secure grant $$ for course installation. So by working for 4 hours you are realistically donating $80 to the course fund.
jritger

Re: Course Install Workdays EVERY Saturday in Jan/Feb

Postby jritger » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:08 am

Big thanks to Wade, GT Chris and the Park Pride guys for coming out. We're making great progress in clearing the woods despite the WEAK turnouts.

Here is the workday attendance thus far:
Workday #1: 1 person
Workday #2: 1 person
Workday #3: 5 people
Workday #4: 10 people
Workday #5: 5 people

At this rate the course will take a long time to put in. Please consider coming out if you are able and have time. It's embarrassing that we have Park Pride showing up with a truckload of tools each workday and only a couple of people show up to use them. Especially since each volunteer hour is going to raise $20 in matching funds grants.
jritger

Postby keith johnson » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:34 pm

Now you see why I did all the cutting and clearing at Wills every day before and after work with some help by Foley, and on NGCT by myself with Wade helping once - People will be all over helping when you are at the pouring concrete stage - before that, not so much.

If you don't clear what you want to clear on your own, on your own time - it won't get done quickly.

It's sad, but that's the way it is most times - there are probably less than 10 people in the metro ATL area that are usually able to counted on for course work anywhere in the area.

I wish you well and hope things pick up for you once the football season is over.
Father of Future World Champion Lorelei Johnson #13697
keith johnson

Postby Bootsie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:21 pm

thats why i pay taxes
Bootsie
Pro Plastic

Postby Clunck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 am

keith johnson wrote:I wish you well and hope things pick up for you once the football season is over.

Exactly.
That was in, cocker block doesn't count!
Clunck
Star Plastic

Postby djester » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Corndog Bobby will be out of Pro football by then?
My posse's on Broadway!
djester
Post Bagger!!

Postby jritger » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:18 pm

People will be all over helping when you are at the pouring concrete stage - before that, not so much.

Hopefully people turn out before that point, because there is a very good chance we'll have money to spend to pay for concrete to be professionally installed. To anyone waiting to volunteer your time, your work would be far more helpful now then at that point.

I attended a meeting last night regarding a grant for which we are applying. We have a high likelihood of receiving between $20,000 and $100,000 in a cash grant to pay for Perkerson (and leftovers carry to future projects). This is contingent upon "fundraising" a 100% match for the grant award, the majority of which is "raised" by volunteer hours on the project that are counted @ $20/hour. So more volunteers = more $$ for disc golf courses in Atlanta. The grant is awarded April 15th, so volunteers are needed en masse now.

For the workday tomorrow morning, weather looks iffy now, but I'm still planning on being there.I will post on here & facebook @ 8:00am tomorrow if we need to cancel the workday.
jritger

Postby jritger » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:38 am

Due to weather, rescheduling today's workday to tomorrow/Sunday, 9am-1pm.
jritger

Postby jritger » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:25 am

Turnout of 6 people -- not bad considering the weather and last minute reschedule. Thanks to everyone that came out. The clearing is going quickly and we've mostly cut out a big par 4 in the woods.

See everyone next Saturday.
jritger

Postby jritger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Big thanks to the 9 people that came out today, and sorry I couldn't be there. See everyone next week.

There is a "final draft master plan" meeting this week, so hopefully the city will finally make a decision about where exactly the course will go. We've been waiting on them for ~6 weeks now, but thankfully there is plenty of privet to cut in the meantime. I will have an update after the Tuesday evening meeting.
jritger

Postby jasonb » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:02 pm

john,

i found a driver up in the woods yesterday. it has initials and a pdga # on it. i gave it to the park pride guy who said he'd get it to you next saturday so it can get in the lost and found.

jason
jasonb
Barney

Postby Ghazlehurst » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:55 pm

We are getting their slowly- Please come out next Sat!!!!!!!!
Ghazlehurst
Barney

Postby Dreadsguy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Would a chainsaw be allowed for use in a park like this?
Dreadsguy
Barney

Postby jritger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Would a chainsaw be allowed for use in a park like this?

Nope. Unless you are licensed/insured, then possibly.
jritger

Postby jritger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Moving in the right direction today, with ~18 volunteers, raising $1,440 in matching funds. Big shout out to GA Tech disc golf club for stepping it up and bringing out over 10 guys.

Next Saturday we will likely be installing some pin placements on the non-wooded holes. I got one of the Gateway baskets today, and it is beefy. Getting closer to a firmed up design as #1-#5 are now set. Hoping to have some real baskets ready to play on soon.
jritger

Postby jritger » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:46 am

To clarify about upcoming workday dates:
Saturday Feb 11th 9am-1pm
No workday Saturday Feb 18th -- it will be on Sunday Feb 19th for the ADGO event
Saturday Feb 25th 9am - 1pm (mix of workday and course prep for tourney)
jritger

Postby jritger » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:42 pm

More progress made today with 5 permanent sleeves in the ground and basket assembly underway. Looking forward to the BIG workday next Sunday with the ADGO member event. Reminder, we're not having a workday next Saturday. The ADGO event on Sunday the 19th will be workday in the morning (9am-12pm), followed by free lunch, followed by a round on the new course.
jritger

Postby Rubiks » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:43 am

Hey all, there will be a workday this Saturday (3/3) in ther afternoon. We'll be starting around 1:00 in the afternoon. Since all 19 baskets are now in the ground, the next step is getting the new woods holes playable.
Support Collegiate Disc Golf

National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships
Hippodrome Disc Golf Complex
April 12-15, 2012 in North Augusta, SC
Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby cdavidson » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:48 pm

Woohoo! I can sleep late and volunter.

Clark
cdavidson
Barney

Re: Course Install Workdays Info

Postby jritger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:09 pm

Good progress today as #10 is nearly completely cut out and will be playable as soon as the schule piles are cleared.

Still very much in need of volunteer labor. Next workday is Sunday 3/11 @ 1pm, if you come out bring your own tools (saw & gloves).
jritger

Postby Rubiks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Next workday Saturday 3/17 @ 1pm. Bring your own tools, although we have some available.

There is also a workday next Thursday 3/22. For all of you who want to help out but can't make it on weekends, this is for you. We'll be continuing to clear the woods holes, and possibly leveling out some teepads and pouring pin locations.

Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby jrock1979 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:10 pm

What time are you getting started on Thursday 3/22? I can probably be out there by 5:30 and work for a couple of hours. What do we need to bring?
jrock1979
Barney

Postby Rubiks » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:56 pm

jrock, we'll be out from about 4:00 to 7:30. We may do a stint in the morning as well, depending.

Rubiks
Pro Plastic

Postby jrock1979 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:46 pm

Rubiks wrote:jrock, we'll be out from about 4:00 to 7:30. We may do a stint in the morning as well, depending.

Cool...not sure if I need to bring anything. I don't really have any tools unfortunately..
jrock1979
Barney

Postby jritger » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:44 am

Standing workday time going forward, starting this weekend, will be Saturdays @ 10am, lasting until ~2pm. For those interested, arrive early @ 8am to play the course before the workday. Bring your own tools (digging tools & cutting tools) and gloves. If the weather is really bad on Saturday and clear on Sunday, we'll change it to Sunday and I'll post an update here.

There is tons of work to do and we're turning in a grant proposal this week that will require 1,000 man hours of volunteer work to get adequate funding (we have ~660 hours since Jan 1st).
jritger

Postby jritger » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:20 pm

Better turnout today with 3 new folks and 7 total. Hole "9B" was adjusted ... teepad is 40' longer and there is now a dual fairway with the same existing fairway, but an even better flick shot fairway. The other thing accomplished today was to add a longer teepad to the following hole ... it's now ~400' roc shot downhill.

Next week @ 10am.
jritger

Postby jritger » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:58 pm

Cut a new fairway today (hole #9) and sprayed poison ivy. Next weekend we'll be installing some new sleeves and cutting out hole #10. Will possibly have 18 playable holes after next workday.
jritger

Postby jrock1979 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:53 pm

[quote="jritger"]Standing workday time going forward, starting this weekend, will be Saturdays @ 10am, lasting until ~2pm. For those interested, arrive early @ 8am to play the course before the workday. Bring your own tools (digging tools & cutting tools) and gloves. If the weather is really bad on Saturday and clear on Sunday, we'll change it to Sunday and I'll post an update here.

Saturdays are not really good for me but I will try to make it when I can. Are there any other days that people will be out there and working? Sundays? Weekdays after 5pm?
jrock1979
Barney

Postby jritger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:57 pm

There aren't any regular standing days right now, but you are more then welcome to work on it anytime you are available. If you wanted to setup another time, or just post up here when you are going out, you may be able to round up others. I've talked to a few folks who also can't make Saturdays.

If you make it out, please let me know so I can give you guidelines of where the work is needed and what we're allowed to do ... and I'm also tracking labor hours for grant matching.
jritger

Postby mrpbody33 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 pm

I think this Saturday I will be finally free to come and help. :D
Barry "Mr. P'body" Arnson
PDGA# 28128
ADGO# 133
http://discgolfatlanta.com/
mrpbody33

Postby jritger » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:10 pm

Workdays back on the 10am every Saturday schedule starting next weekend. If you can't make it at that time, feel free to work on your own schedule -- just PM me and I can tell you what needs to be done.

Perkerson condition update as of 4/29/12:
The course now has 18 playable holes with valid fairways. Every hole has a carpet teepad for the long position. The edges are rough in the woods, but really not bad. Most of the holes will need some tweaking to get optimized, but the layout is very playable in current condition. You'll need a map to navigate as there are no signs. We added a new creek crossing after (old hole #12, down into the corne), so the course now flows pretty well. 3 of the baskets (hole 8, 10 & 11) are missing chains, as is the practice basket. Still trying to source the chain so depending on how fast that happens, it may be reattached next Saturday morning or could be a week later.
jritger

Postby jritger » Fri May 18, 2012 9:12 am

We'll be out tomorrow @ 10am. If anyone has a weed wacker, please bring it. Also some a-hole dug up #10 to steal it, so we'll be re-setting that with plenty of extra concrete and rebar. It's safely in my truck for now.
jritger

Postby jritger » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:53 pm

Workday is in effect tomorrow @ 10am. Chains will be re-installed! Bring a weed wacker if you have it, as course grooming is next on the agenda.
jritger

Postby jritger » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Workday is on for tomorrow. I've got swim lessons with Hank ALL summer at 11am, so I'll be at Perkerson from dawn (~7am) - 10am. Others will arrive at 10am and work until 1pm.

Course is looking good and we're into the grooming stages. Weed wacker would be helpful, as well as light schule cutting tools.
jritger

Postby jritger » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:58 pm

New pins on #3 (30' longer) and #11 (60' shorter and teepad is moving back about 50'). Also sprayed poison on all of #3 and #8-#10.
jritger

Postby jritger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 am

Good news: Tree cutter (Birdman!) is finally booked to cut down trees on June 24th ! This includes the limbs blocking air routes (like on hole 1) and will let us take out the large dead trees that are currently blocking hole 9 from turning into a par 4 or possibly a par 5.

Workday is on for this weekend. I'll be there from 7am-10am, so if anyone is wanting tools/gloves from me please get there before 10am as I can't hang around. I'll have a full load of cutting and digging tools, as well as an awesome new backpack weed sprayer.

Items needed this weekend:
1- weed wacker
2- brush clearing tools
3- cordless drill with large 5/8" metal bit ... need to make sure the baskets on #3 and #11 can move to the new sleeves

We need to improve the signage. I'm thinking pieces of scrap wood nailed to trees with hole info painted on will suffice and last up to a year until we can fund vandalism proof signs. To that point I'll be bringing scrap wood, nails and paint.
jritger

Postby jritger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:14 am

Workday schedule for this weekend:

The real workday will be Sunday. Not sure of what time yet, but likely all day as we are cutting down and cutting up trees -- so we need as many folks as possible to assist in moving the trees as some of them are quite large. If you have a chainsaw, bring it out and help cut up the trees.

If anyone feels like working Saturday, of course come on out and help with pruning. I'll be there at 7am Saturday to flag the trees to be cut on Sunday.

Wooden tee signs were installed on all holes last weekend.
jritger

Postby jritger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:14 am

Plans just changed!

Birdman (tree crew) had something come up for this week, and is now coming next weekend on Sunday July 1st. Workday this weekend will be on Saturday, from 7am-1pm.
jritger

Postby jritger » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Tree crew (Jeremiah Bird Man Ash & 2 friends) is coming this Sunday and planning to work ALL day. We need as many people as possible to help move the wood. Even better would be coming up with alternative uses for the downed logs (like benches, retaining walls, etc).

You can come out anytime as they will be starting early and working all day. Please consider coming to help if you haven't yet. This will be the biggest one-day change for the course, and it will be looking awesome afterwards.

Also -- looking for someone with space to host Jeremiah and possibly 2 others on Saturday night. Let me know if you are wiling & able. These are quality guys & disc golfers from Chattanooga.

Tools you can bring - gloves, axe, chainsaw, cordless drill

No workday on Saturday.
jritger

Postby jritger » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Update:
Workdays are every Saturday morning through this Fall from dawn until about noon, with different people arriving at different times. I'll be there early; others usually arrive around 9 or 10. Course is coming right along with 1,050 hours logged since Jan 1st and estimated 500 to go. I have 3 sharp saws and gloves; bring your favorite cutting tool and come on out.
jritger

Postby daebat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:48 am

I'd like to volunteer to help out, are you guys still working on Saturday mornings? Also, is there a place I can donate money to the cause? I have several people I could even hire to help us out.
daebat
Barney

Postby jritger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:03 am

Yes, we're having workdays every Saturday 9am-12pm.

Send me a PM about donations -- we are actively fundraising with a goal of $8,000 and it's 501c3 (tax deductible)
jritger

Postby daebat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:30 pm

Do you not have a paypal link or anything? I'd like to share it around social networks and try to generate some buzz for the course.
daebat
Barney

Postby jritger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:40 pm

We're building a website right now (http://www.perkersondiscgolf.com). It should be completed in the next couple of weeks and will have Paypal link to donate. Or you can paypal funds to jritger@gmail.com. Hold off on posting it anywhere until it's completed though as there isn't anything to see yet and we've got some compelling video footage that we will be uploading. Also going to run a kickstarter campaign once the site / footage is ready.
jritger

Postby daebat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:12 pm

that's awesome man! I'm a web designer / developer by trade so if you guys are ever in need of some help in that respect be sure to let me know!
daebat
Barney

Postby jritger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 am

Workday this Saturday Dec 8th from 9am-12pm. Some Ga Tech guys will be there, and I've heard from a few others too.

Here is the work list:
#1: Clearing of invasives -- google privet for a visual, basically anything with green leaves. On #4 (in the ditch especially) and #18. Protocol for cutting is to use a paint brush to apply the concentrate brush killer to the stump immediately after cutting or it will grow back. Cut pieces should be stacked up near the parking lot.

#2: We need to dig up pin placements that won't ever be used so we can re-use them elsewhere. There is one on #2 if you walk down the fairway before you hit the sidewalk (was going to be a par 4 position for hole #1). And one right next to #3 teepad. Also the shortest of the three placements on #3. Others are right by the teepad on #9 and middle of the fairway on #10 about 100' short of the basket.
jritger

Postby jritger » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:24 am

Volunteer work on the weekends is suspended for the time being as we're focused on finishing the final plans so construction can begin.

But, volunteer work is happening during the week. Andrew is leading some cool projects to build stairs and trails. This week he'll be out there today, Thurs and Fri, starting around 11am. Bring gloves and digging hand tools if you have them.

If that time doesn't work for you and you'd like to volunteer, we have many projects, just PM me.
jritger

Return to Perkerson Park